Is "OK, Boomer" Ageism?

Author: Vader

Total: 35
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
OK Boomer is a response to the frustration of millennial's and Gen Z around the world response to the Boomers that are critiquing their cultures. Boomers always have a problem with our generation for being lazy, but are never progressive and are some of the people who are stubborn to change. The Boomers always complain, and this is a response with another insults. I think it is ageism, but ageism is the dumbest form of discrimination humanly possible. 

Boomers have not helped this country in policies of trying to progress an evolving society and have been detrimental. I say to those people who have prevented the rights of LGBTQ+, insult Gen Z and millennial's

OK BOOMER

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
I'll accept its usage so far as it's proportionate. If they berate millennials (and, soon enough, Gen Z) for underperforming in the adult world without recognizing how ridiculously easy it was in their day compared to now, then they deserve contempt. Otherwise...
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Vader
It is ageism. You are insulting people based on age. No matter of excuses change that.

It is like you pretty much made excuses for the n-word. In that scenario like this one you are insulting people based on things they can't change but maybe you don't care about that. N-word is racist. OK boomer is ageist. 

Vader
Vader
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I did say it was ageism, but the question is for me do you ageism is a legitimate and serious form of discrimination? 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Vader
Misread what you said. 
but the question is for me do you ageism is a legitimate and serious form of discrimination? 
Depends on what we are comparing it too.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
ok zoomer!!!!
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It is like you pretty much made excuses for the n-word. In that scenario like this one you are insulting people based on things they can't change but maybe you don't care about that. N-word is racist. OK boomer is ageist. 

I see it warn’t no use wasting words—you can’t learn a nigger to argue. So I quit.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Dropping a n-word bomb with a hard R doesn't help your case either
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
its for omar in response to this ridiculous quote-

No matter of excuses change that.

It is like you pretty much made excuses for the n-word.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
They learn.
You teach.

And ageism is par for the course.
As it ever was and always will be.

One chooses to ignore or not.
Just as one chooses to be offended or not.
Variations in data processing, that's all.

Is N now the N-letter.?
Process that and output if you choose to.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I see it warn’t no use wasting words—you can’t learn a nigger to argue. So I quit.
Please read what you say before creating it. Me not saying the complete word discredits what I say? No it doesn't and you haven't demonstrated how it is the case.

If you do quit. Good riddance because the less Spammer Franklin is around the more intelligent everyone else looks. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Am I racist for saying that?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
Nice..uh poem?
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla

'Okay Boomer' is about their naked hedonism, lack of duty, and inability to preserve any of the societal strength or wealth that they were handed on a silver platter, instead squandering it and handing their grandchildren a horrific dystopia. There's a weird attempt to make it about social issues, but it's been around for months now and that's not what the meme was inspired by. The LGBT stuff is a bunch of self-involved millennials trying to make the meme about their pet social issues and how 'enlightened' they are. It's not about your grandfather making an off-color joke at Thanksgiving dinner or not liking buttsecks, it's about prosperous cities being transformed into smoking ruins, the construction of a surveillance state, never-ending wars, people dying en masse from lifestyle illnesses, breakdown of family life, widespread disillusionment with dysfunctional social institutions, murder epidemics, mass shootings, etc. In the background, there are thousands upon thousands of boomers buying themselves RVs and thinking 'I deserve this', and thousands upon thousands of UMC white millenials who think that the lack of funding for gender reassignment surgery is among the most pressing issues of our time. Meanwhile a bunch of Yemeni school children just had their school bus pelted by shrapnel, and thousands of Congolese children are choking on toxic cobalt fumes so that we can get a new smartphone every few years.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Am I racist for saying that?
It is a racist comment. I wouldn't know how much you would have to say to be racist or the level of saying the n word makes you racist instead of just stating a racist comment.

Ask a black person or some authority of blacks which I don't think exists so you must do it person to person. 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
OK Boomer feels manufactured, much like how frogs are apparently Neo-Nazi symbols (one journalist fell for an online troll, then Hillary Clinton fell for that journalist, and a bandwagon effect happened).

That said, I'll commit the dreaded Not All Men fallacy, to say that not all baby boomers behave as the stereotype outlined in the first post suggests. However, to my limited knowledge of the term it is usually used in response to provocation from a baby boomer (as the second post suggested); which is to say that whatever they berate is countered with what roughly translates to "your generation failed to live up to the great deeds of your slutty parents."
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
THE HORRIFIC DYSTOPIA.
Is far too many people, with too much knowledge.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Ok boomer is appropriate they ruined the country and should not have a voice. They are why these sheltered liberals who are ruining the country even more exist to start with
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
"Ok, boomer" signals frustration from a younger generation at an older generation that is becoming increasingly less in touch with the modern day and consistently blames the younger generation for a state of affairs that they themselves created.

It necessarily is a slur and it is a slur aimed at a group of people primarily defined by their age. A strict reading of the CoC would have it be "hate speech": an ageist slur aimed at a person.

But I think it is becoming more than that. It is also a very political term as boomers are strongly associated with a certain kind of politics and culture. I've had it levied at me (humorously) even though I am well outside the age bracket for being a boomer.

It is becoming less and less about a person's age and more about a person's state of mind.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
Ageism:
"prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of a person's age."
-Oxford dictionary

Prejudice is essentially "pre-judging" someone on the basis of a perceived trait (i.e. age). So yes, it is ageism in its most benign form.

I don't think blaming the generation prior for some of the issues today (i.e. abuses of power by politicians, discrimination against the LGBT community, the encroaching power of wealthy firms in policy-making, promoting endless war expenditures, climate change, whatever you think is ruining America etc.) is a positive step forward. It was a few boomers who accrued enough political support to facilitate decisions that might have damaged US institutions. You aren't going to change someone's mind by saying "okay boomer." Most people don't reconsider their position because they were mocked for it. If anything, they will double-down on their original position with twice the gusto out of spite. 

That said, it is not something I imagine people take too seriously. If it isn't a dead meme by tomorrow, it almost certainly will be dead by next year and replaced with something more asinine. I guarantee the next generation is going to be made fun of by their older counterparts as well. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Vader
sure those blanket statements are often helpful and work wonderfully, ask any libtard.   LOL
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@Vader
Okay, Zoomer
Wylted
Wylted
Boomers were never against gay rights. Even the conservative ones. The conservative ones even pushed for gay marriage equality but libtards always rejected their marriage equality bills because of semantics. That's right. Civil unions would give gays the same rights as marriages, but libtarss would shoot down the Bill's over semantics because they wanted the word marriage in the laws. They actually kept gays from having equal rights because muh semantics.  
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@drafterman
If you have been accused of being a boomer because of your state of mind, you need to seriously check yourself. Stop thinking like a boomer. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Barney
Why do you think boomers were such a shit generation that they are equally hated by their kids and their parents? 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Wylted
Broadly speaking, I don’t think there is such a thing as a shitty generation (current babies in diapers aside, as they’re just in a phase by which they generally should not be judged). If you study the concept of Otherness, you’ll see that these divisive lines are often harmful artificial constructs.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Barney
Is it really though? I mean didn't these people ask for a bunch of free handouts which ruined the economy and do things like drive the cost of college education up, and fuck over future generations?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Wylted
If 80% of people in a group are pieces of shit but the rest are not, does that make the group a piece of shit? I guess it depends.

In the case of generational labels I think not since the only thing binding the people together into being in the same group is the fact that they are the same age and being a certain age is not inherently shitty.

On the other hand I am sure there are some genuinely kind and respectable people in ISIS, the KKK, or the Nazi party but I would still call those groups overall piece of shit groups because the thing that binds them together are piece of shit ideals (radical Islam, white supremacy, etc.)

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I think a large portion of Nazis are not white supremacists but are white nationalists. But I get your point. 

With Boomers, they have almost all participated in destroying America. Some through political apathy, others through voting in cuckservatives such as the Bush's and the liberal ones have caused the most obvious damage and slid us further down a slippery slope (which in this case is not a fallacy as evidenced by the fact the slide has not stopped), with their welfare programs which have destroyed the family (one of just many attacks on the institution of marriage, or the liberal agenda to turn us all into soy boys and cucks media manipulation and social Marxiat indoctrination that begins as soon. as kids into the public school system. Seriously that entire generation is shitty. There may be some exceptions. Like I think Ted Nugent is technically a boomer, but mostly they owe us an apology for having to fix their shit. Seriously if not for them we would have already had a technological singularity and been living in a utopian society such as the one pictured in "A Brave New World"
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Wylted
I think a large portion of Nazis are not white supremacists but are white nationalists. But I get your point.

Yeah the white supremacists part was referring to the KKK, the Nazis fall more into the "etc." part at the end.