Tejretics's DebateArt Tournament - Sign-Ups

Author: Tejretics

Total: 5
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
Hi. I’m announcing a DebateArt tournament.

The actual structure of the tournament (i.e. whether it’s round-robin or power-paired or double elimination or some other format) will be announced once I know the number of people who’ve signed up.

Otherwise, it’s pretty simple. There’ll be rounds, up until a final. Your opponents will be assigned by me. You’ll be given a limited amount of time to start the debate, so that the tournament runs on schedule. The winner won’t really get anything, other than bragging rights, I guess.

All debates in the tournament should:

1. Have a character limit for each speech ranging from 7,000 to 10,000 characters (not less, not more). Edit: characters include spaces.

2. Have either a 48 hour or a 72 hour time setting for each speech.

3. Have the basic rule of “no new arguments in the final round.”

4. Have either three or four rounds; not more, not less.

Judges should follow current DDO standards for RFDs.

Lastly, on the topics: Each round of the tournament will have a theme, and under that theme, I’ll announce three topics. You have to debate one of those three topics – I’ll try to make them as balanced and interesting as I can. The way topic selection works: each debater will, in a PM with me, be asked to “veto” one of the three topics – any topic that is vetoed won’t be debated by those two debaters (so there’ll be different vetoes for different debates in the same round). If the two debaters veto two different topics, the remaining topic will be the one selected; if the two debaters veto the same topic, then I’ll choose the topic randomly among the remaining two topics.

Debaters in the tournament can’t judge other debates in the tournament.

If you’re interested, please sign up here.
RationalMadman
Debates: 551
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
When vetoing do we know if we are Prop or Opp?
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
Yes.
RationalMadman
Debates: 551
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
Okay sign me up but if the topics are too hard to win on my side I will drop out for the sake of maintaining good winrate on the site.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
I'll try to make the topics balanced, but sure.