Jesus is Lord?

Author: Paul

Total: 251
Paul
Debates: 0
Paul
I've seen many religious people use the phrase, Jesus is Lord, but I'm not exactly sure I understand what it means. Can someone please explain this to me?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Paul
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures."

"Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

Truth woship. To accept Jesus as Lord is to believe on The Name of Jesus. The name of Jesus means "God is Salvation"

The Ultimate Reality is God. The Truth is The Son, who is God. The Spirt of Truth is The Holy Ghost, who is God. These three are of the same essence and being, they are One God, indivisible. Not 3 gods, not 3 parts of one God. As you can see, The Truth is what ties it together. One God.

Real Christianity is Truth worship. It is not the worship of created things or culture. It is the worship of God.

The religion is relationship with God. The religion is Jesus. Abide in The Truth, and live with charity.

This is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. The meaning of scripture. JESUS.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
It's pretty straightforward. Jesus is considered by Christians to be part of the Trinity, which is the triune manifestation of God. Thus, Jesus is God. As God created man, man owes God his allegiance, worship, adoration, and servitude. To describe this relationship, the old term "Lord" is used, a reference to the Medieval relationship between a large landholder and the serfs who worked, subsisted off of, and resided on his land, who were totally subject to the authority of that person, who was their Lord.
It should be noted that the first English translations of the Bible, derived from earlier Latin translations which for God used the term "Dominus" (trans. "Lord"), happened during a time when such feudal arrangements were commonplace.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Pretty straightforward you say. 
When i think of religion, Straightforward and Pretty aint the  two words I'd use. 

So are you saying, " these " type of Christians belive this , and " them " type of Christians belive that. 
Make up a couple of things like this, " change " a scripture meaning or two, create a little difference here and a little bit there and before you know it.
Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You done gone got yourself a " splinter ".  NICE.  
" Grow the splinter "  Loveeee the splinter,  For in a years time you'll be getting 25cents of each player / believer , follower of your "splinter" 
Give it 10 years and that splinter of yours will turn into a nice lump of 4X4,

Then in another 10 years your lump of 4×4 has grown into a nice small business , i mean religious group. 

And with this steady cash flow coming in from, ( attendance ) and your shrewd selling of 18 of the 37 / 40 scriptures that God placed with YOU. With this type of cash coming in, and your clubhouse paid in full.
You and your four point three ( 4.3 ) Beautiful wives can start living quite nicely. 

Good game.  
Good game.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Mopac
An excellent post of which I agree with ever letter of every word written. I could not have said it better.

Translated for today's generation, 

Jesus is ALL that, AND a bag of barbecue flavored potato chips. 

+1

Paul
Paul
-->
@Mopac
So Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are all the same thing?

If that is the case why did Jesus say, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" as if he was speaking to a different person?

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Paul
You didn't want  a straightforward answer did you paul?

Because Nothing explains things better then a  scripture translation explained  to you in a Romeo and Juliet type scripture sounding way , then repackaged back into a what  to them is now a straightforward self-explanatory half a scripture type format.

Instead of a 1000 word half scripture half meaning of the scripture type manner. They could just say like.

Yes.  Yes Jesus is the lord and God.
Or 
No .  no  Jesus ain't the lord and he certainly isn't this God thing they speak of.
Not 
Giving thanks unto the farther, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the everdence of the saints in light of men.

It's almost like getting lost driving somewhere and  getting out your Year 1924 street directory to find the way home.
Gods are good , but they ain't no google search. 

Ethang and mopac are the best the theist have to offer as well .
With Both of em in or around the top 10 in the world at deciphering scriptures you think you could get a better answer.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Paul
When you say this , my god has forsaken me line , do you say it in a Eric Cartman type voice. ?
Paul
Paul
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
The Trinity smacks of polytheism.

I figure if Jesus and God are the same thing, then Jesus got his own mother pregnant to give birth to himself using one of his own female children that was twelve years old at the time.

Talk about egocentric perversion!

It's like something you'd see in an R. Crumb comic.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Paul
Jesus is Lord

So is Lord John " two jags" Prescott. As are the other 800 jumped up non entities Lords in the U.K. It doesn't mean much it's only a title. In ancient times it  meant to be educated in many fields. The first so called "gods" were never ever referred to as gods, they were simply called lords. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Paul
Psalm 22.

He's singing a psalm of David.

"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.
Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
I may tell all my bones: they look andstare upon me.
They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations.
All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Paul
Paul
-->
@Stephen
Right, so Jesus is Lord is the same as saying Jesus is God.

Paul
Paul
-->
@Mopac
If you think I'm going to read that you're crazy, I've seen what it does to other people.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Paul
Well, that is the psalm Jesus was singing on the cross, so if you don't want to get educated, why are you bothering to ask?

You shouldn't be asking questions you don't want the answers to.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Paul
"Right, so Jesus is Lord is the same as saying Jesus is God".

No. Wrong. Jesus was simply an highly educated Royal, schooled in Egypt.:  a lord. 

The original Mesopotamian texts from which the Old Testament originates not once mentions the word god, They continually refer to these "higher beings / shining ones" i.e. educated ones/ teachers, to be their "lords". God/Deus is a Greek word.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Mopac
...so if you don't want to get educated, why are you bothering to ask?
It's what atheists do. They want to attack Christianity, but fashion their attack in the form of a question. If you answer the question, you nullify their attack. That makes them cross.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ethang5
Well, it's ok. Maybe he'll get an answer from someone spousing atheistic gnostic garbage he can repeat to someone else.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
The new testament is written in greek, and you clearly don't know what is written in it. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@Stephen
God is called the Lord all over the place in the Bible, your comment may be relevant by today's standards, but in biblical times God and Lord were pretty much interchangeable.

Paul
Paul
-->
@Mopac
So you are bilingual?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
The new testament is written in greek, and you clearly don't know what is written in it. 

Don't be silly. Of course I know what is written in the Bible and I know that it is a translation of Greek. The  OT was taken from the original Mesopotamian epics. You seem have totally missed my point which I won't now be bothering to expand on or explain to you as I can see you are somewhat confused.

But as I have already stated. The concept of  a "god"  doesn't resemble at all, the original meaning of the word Lord. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Paul
God is called the Lord all over the place in the Bible

Ya don't say. I know the word god is often interchanged with the word lord. But the original  abstract idea of a god doesn't resemble at all, what a lord is, was or meant..
Paul
Paul
-->
@Stephen
So Jesus is Lord does not mean Jesus is God?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You are claiming something about the old testament based on texts other than the old testament, making a false argument about that and then applying it to the new testament to make another false argument.

You are wrong on all counts. If you actually knew what was written in the old testament or new testament you wouldn't make such obviously false assertions.
And if I'm confused, you not wanting to clear that up is evidence that you are not trying to be edifying, but that you are trying to stir up trouble.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Paul
If you actually care to get answers, I will help you to the best of my ability. As long as you are asking questions about the bible, but refusing to read scripture because you "see what it does to people", I would say that you can suffer in your own willful ignorance.
Paul
Paul
-->
@Mopac
Is saying Jesus is Lord the same as saying Jesus is King?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Paul
Jesus is The Truth.

The Truth is king.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

That is the mystery. Jesus Christ come in the flesh is Truth, the word of God among us. You eat, you eat the body of Christ. You drink, you drink the blood of Christ. How is this? All things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was made. God spoke, and God's Word becomes existent things. Things that exist are true. Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. Not that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, but is come in the flesh.

A truth may die. But The Truth is eternal. Like the brass serpent lifted in the woods, so must the son of man be lifted up that whosever believe on him would have eternal life.

The eternal life is The Truth. Abide in The Truth. That is eternal life.

I must become less, so that he becomes more.

Am I speaking mysteries? Because it is a mystery.

The point is that God is The Supreme And Ultimate Reality. Worship God in Spirit and in Truth. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, right there.

But the mystery can be solved. The solution is to love The Truth. That is what it means to love God.

Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour, and this can only be if Jesus is God, because God Is Salvation, which is what the name "Jesus" means.

And if that sounds confusing, It is my intention to make lucid the mysteries and demystify rather than confound. I will answer question.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Paul
So Jesus is Lord does not mean Jesus is God?

Correct Paul, it doesn't. Not in its original meaning. Lord is what I have already explained, highly educated and of the higher classes, such as Royalty  and or Priesthood. Someone who is highly educated and more experienced in certain fields can and do ' lord it ' over others less educated and experienced.   We can call anyone anything we like, the romans decided he - Jesus - was a god, they had to make him a state god or the population wouldn't have accepted christianity as a state religion.. A person today can call themselves by any name / title they wish as long as you don't use it for fraudulent purposes.

The problem with the likes of Mopac, is, they cannot face a few very simple facts and or refuse to acknowledge historical facts. Jesus was a man that is a fact, Jesus wasn't a god and Mopac cannot prove otherwise. Jesus was a highly educated royal, who simply fought for his rightful inheritance, the throne of Jerusalem/king of the jews, even Pontius Pilate recognised this.. fact!. In fact Jesus had the duel authority in that he was both king and high priest. This is why the puppet high priesthood and the puppet kingship of the time felt threatened and wanted rid of him and looked on him as and accused him of, being a trouble making pretender. We have to remember that both High Priest Caiaphas and King Herod were   put into power by the Romans.

But rather than face a few facts such as those mentioned dunces like Mopac would rather accuse you of, (1) lying,(2) not knowing anything about the Bible,(3)not having read the Bible, (4) not understanding anything about ancient history and (5) that lovely oft trotted out old chestnut, of being a troll who is only  here to cause or "stir up trouble". 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
You are claiming something about the old testament based on texts other than the old testament,

No I am not. I am claiming the OT was lifted from the Mesopotamian Epics and that the the word god is not even in those epics but the word lord can be found a read many hundreds of times in those Epics and the world lord does not mean a supernatural, all seeing, all hearing, all singing and all dancing god, who is everywhere at all times as was believed of GREEK AND ROMAN "gods". GROW UP! God is a rather new word meaning something entirely different to the word lord.  You are having trouble understanding this. I cannot help you as there is no cure for stupid.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
If you actually care to get answers, I will help you to the best of my ability. As long as you are asking questions about the bible,

Is baptism a ritual of cleansing of one's sins?