We should have a "the BIG issues"

Author: Username

Total: 35
Username
Debates: 9
Username
These days I see a lot of people who come from DDO clarifying their positions on certain issues in their bio due to the lack of "the BIG issues" section. I personally feel no need to due so, but "the BIG issues" was a very entertaining way to understand people's political stances and the reasoning behind them (which should also be included). Maybe even a short little description of each side and then the percent of people who believe in each along with a select few group of reasoning(s), although that's likely too much to ask. 

Side note: A choice for political party affiliation would be a great way to gauge an individual's partisanship. 

PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@Username
Sounds good. The only problem is that it SMACKS OF DDO.

*SHIIVERS*

UGHHHHH

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Today's social climate makes it pretty easy to predict a person's stance on most issues just by knowing their stance on a few, even if the two are completely unrelated.

Someone is anti-abortion? Pretty good chance they are anti-gun control as well.

Pro gay rights? Probably also favor taxing corporations more.

These issues are completely unrelated yet statistically these statements are more often true than would be expected by random chance. Peoples willingness to categorize and divide themselves makes a big issues feature much less useful than it would be otherwise.
Username
Username
-->
@PressF4Respect
Why is that necessarily a bad thing? Sure, DDO is broken as all hell, but this site doesn't have to be. Plus, this site serves in a very large part as a refugee camp for former DDO members (no offense to everyone who takes care of this site, it is the best debating site out there, and far superior to Debate.org)
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@Username
I know. I tried asking the mods to implement opinions and polls into DART, but they said no because it was what brought DDO to its knees, without elaborating. I think that this is going to face a similar fate.

Username
Username
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Sure, a majority of people may have certain ideological/partisan convictions which make them choose/want to choose positions consistent with a certain political group (group being a very broad term), but certainly not all of them do. You're leaving out the entirety of Centrism, Libertarianism, Fascism, Communism, people who only have positions on a select few issues, people who don't care about ideology and choose positions based on pragmatism, conservatives with certain liberal positions, liberals with conservative positions, etc. You're categorizing people as collectives and not individuals, and there's no reason to push aside a unknown-numbered-but-likely-pretty-big minority for a majority.  Plus, people who frequent sites like these that allow them to challenge previously held views are much less likely to be hyper-ideological/partisan than the general public. "the BIG issues" is great for this site.

(It's also fun.)

Username
Username
-->
@PressF4Respect
Tbh I think that opinions and polls were an absolute trainwreck though. "the BIG issues" have little imagined negative effect on the site.
Username
Username
-->
@DebateArt.com
So...
Username
Username
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
By the way I recognize that SCP, props for that. That's one of the scarier ones I believe.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
nah
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
How did opinions and polls bring down DDO? I don't really see a connection there.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Username
You're leaving out the entirety of Centrism, Libertarianism, Fascism, Communism, people who only have positions on a select few issues, people who don't care about ideology and choose positions based on pragmatism, conservatives with certain liberal positions, liberals with conservative positions, etc. 

I am not leaving them out - I actually fall into one or more of those broad categories - I am simply acknowledging that they are in the minority. I am not opposed to a big issues feature, just don't see it as necessary.

By the way I recognize that SCP, props for that. That's one of the scarier ones I believe.

Lol thanks. I actually chose it specifically for it's scariness ( was near Halloween at the time) I am considering changing it to a Christmas theme. I might just go with a new SCP but the only Christmas SCP I know is... Not filled with Holliday cheer...
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@SirAnonymous
How did opinions and polls bring down DDO? I don't really see a connection there.

Those were the first sections to fall to the spammer-scammer bots so they have a bad rep among people. I agree with you that it is illogical, it is like saying Normandy (the physical location) brought down the third Reich. Nonsense. Operation Overlord is what defeated Germany, Normandy just happens to be where the operation took place.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Username
This idea has been brought up quite a few times but the problem here is implementing it in a way that would not be identical to what they have on DDO. It has to be something different, more interesting and better looking, which is not that easy to come up with. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
The Third Reich overstretched itself.

The Third Reich brought about it's own downfall.

Plus you also forgot to mention the Hugh Russian efforts made on the Eastern Front.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@zedvictor4
If my simple analogy went over your head that is your problem, not mine.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DebateArt.com
Why does it have to be different if you can't think of anything better? Most of this sites format is copy-pasted from DDO and the parts that are different are sometimes worse (such as the PMs). If some way of doing things works why not stick with it?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I understood the analogy.

Trouble was, the information you went on to present, was glaringly inaccurate. 
Zaradi
Debates: 4
Zaradi
-->
@zedvictor4
If you're problem was the historical accuracy of the analogy, then you didn't understand the analogy. It wasnt trying to accurately describe what Germany lost WW2.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Politics itself is the big issues thread. Another thread would be unneeded clutter
Username
Username
I am not leaving them out - I actually fall into one or more of those broad categories - I am simply acknowledging that they are in the minority. I am not opposed to a big issues feature, just don't see it as necessary.

It's not absolutely necessary but I think it'd be very beneficial and nice to have
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vader
This thread is not about forum restructuring. It is about profile restructuring.

Remember on DDO the feature where people listed on their profiles whether they were pro or con on things like gay marriage, federal reserve, etc.? That is what this is.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Username
It's not absolutely necessary but I think it'd be very beneficial and nice to have

Yeah alright. My first post on this thread was mostly just me looking for an excuse to bitch about the fact that the majority of people are dumbass sheep that think simplistic words that are taught to toddlers when first learning to speak such as 'left' and 'right' should be used as a serious method of describing real political issues. I actually like the idea of a Big Issues-like feature.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Username
Why does it have to be different if you can't think of anything better? Most of this sites format is copy-pasted from DDO and the parts that are different are sometimes worse (such as the PMs). If some way of doing things works why not stick with it?
I can think of something better but it would take time to implement and especially design, because I am pathetic at designing stuff. The general idea is similar but it's not exactly copy pasted, we have lots of things that are either built on top of what DDO has or are simply different. But frankly, that's what most people do, you just take some idea and improve it. PMs are possibly worse, yes, but only at some aspects and that's because I wanted eventually to use a paid solution ( say Twilio ) for the chat system that provides everything we could possibly need, group chats, image attachments and etc but I can't afford it because, well, I can't even cover my hosting expenses, leave alone the paid chat systems or phone number verifications to prevent multi accounts and stuff.

Anyway, I have been working on another feature, it's not exactly something exciting but it's new and it could help to kill time once in a while. After I finish it, I will have a cycle of bug fixes and small improvements and then I will get back to this big issues thingie, so we'll see what can be done :)
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Username
Also I love your avatar ^_^
Username
Username
-->
@DebateArt.com
Thanks! I was gonna change it but I guess you've made me reconsider.

I think that honestly whether something copies ddo shouldn't be a criteria for if it should be implemented; only if it's a good idea. It probably would take a lot of effort to add though, so I understand if that's a reason against it. 

A simpler option to allow people to have more clarification on their views is if you were to include a political party option rather than just an ideological one.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@DebateArt.com
I wouldn't know how they would able to sue for this. Just don't call it BIG issues. Call it views. Have less than DDO so both the name of the thing and the bulk of it are different. You can also add momentary views which change and are altered depending on what is going on. If Brexit is still as relevant as now as lets when this is going to be implemented have that as an issue that people speak about. If another mass shooting occurs ask people what do you think should happen. This can be adjusted according to user activity. If you find out barely anyone uses it. You can have it changed every 3 months or if there is a lot of activity then every week. 
Username
Username
Yeah. I doubt there would be a suit, as the RealNihilist said. 

LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
-->
@Username
If we make a new big issues it should be broken up into sections, maybe like this:
67% Agreement
100% Political Agreement
100% Social Political Agreement
[Insert stuff here]
100% Economical Political Agreement
[Insert stuff here]
100% Philosophical Agreement
100% Metaphysical Philosophical Agreement
[Insert stuff here]
100% Epistemological Philosophical Agreement
[Insert stuff here]
0% Religious Agreement
0% Belief in God Agreement
[Insert stuff here]
0% Subject Matter Agreement
[Insert stuff here]

But Idk about that example though. There should definitely be stuff like philosophy on there though.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Username
I agree.