Jared Fogle (formerly Subway Jared)

Author: Castin

Total: 9
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
Fogle first came to the attention of law enforcement in 2007, when reporter Rochelle Herman-Walrond told police in Sarasota, Florida, that he had made salacious comments to her about middle school-aged girls at a school health event she was covering for a local news station. She made recordings of Fogle's remarks and saved text messages between them, and then went to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), where agents asked her to wear a wiretap during her conversations with him. Herman-Walrond befriended Fogle and, for the next four years, surreptitiously recorded her conversations with him as part of an ongoing federal investigation. She recorded him making several remarks about having had sex with underage girls and asking her to install a webcam in her children's rooms so he could watch them.
I don't understand why in the world he would just openly say these things to her. Knowing she was a reporter. And a mother. This story is several years old and I still don't get it. I'm sure he got off on talking about it to someone else, and I know a common trait of sociopathy (if he had it) is uninhibited boldness, but come on. Where's the basic slimeball self-preservation instinct? She looked and acted exactly like a watchdog soccer mom who was undercover to lure out a sicko, and he bought it from the beginning with no apparent suspicion.

If you want to see what I mean, listen to these recordings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7fywYUZqbk (Or don't, because they're disturbing. You are warned.) Is it just me, or is what she says from 0:25 to 0:48 basically "I'm wearing a wire, please incriminate yourself".

Fogle's psychiatrist said he had replaced his overeating disorder with "soft" pedophilia.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Because it's exciting. This type of sexually-charged, taboo activity results in a release of dopamine associated with the initial phases of sexual arousal. Dopamine is also one of the neurotransmitters commonly associated with drug addiction. Basically: it got him high. And when people have that feeling, they are usually willing to abandon common sense and self-preservation to "chase" it and maintain it.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Castin
Fogle's psychiatrist said he had replaced his overeating disorder with "soft" pedophilia.

I don't recall ever seeing that one on a Subway menu.

26 days later

Castin
Castin
-->
@drafterman
Because it's exciting. This type of sexually-charged, taboo activity results in a release of dopamine associated with the initial phases of sexual arousal. Dopamine is also one of the neurotransmitters commonly associated with drug addiction. Basically: it got him high. And when people have that feeling, they are usually willing to abandon common sense and self-preservation to "chase" it and maintain it.
As I said, I'm sure he got off on it. But the only thing stronger than the sexual instinct is the survival instinct, and it's like he didn't even have one.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
But the only thing stronger than the sexual instinct is the survival instinct
Oh, but I disagree. Sexual instinct ensures the survival of the species which trumps individual survival. Think about all the organisms where sex = death (of the individual).
Castin
Castin
-->
@drafterman
Good point. But I think humans have a much better track record of choosing survival over sex than insects do.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Goldtop

I don't recall ever seeing that one on a Subway menu.
Apologies, I misquoted. The psychiatrist said "weak" or "mild" pedophilia, not soft. I trust that clears things up. Now do you remember it from the Subway menu?

All the food was acting like a cork that kept the pedophilia in, see. Then Subway uncorked him and all the pedophilia spilled out. Trust me, I'm quoting legitimate psychological science here.

In seriousness, I have a hard time seeing pedophilic tendencies as something a person can spontaneously develop later in life. I can only assume that the predisposition was always there inside him, but only surfaced after his main vice was taken away, creating a need for a new one. It makes me wonder if he was always attracted to children but was just too fat to catch them before.

I sense that I should feel guilty about that last sentence on many levels. Mm... no, too tired, too lazy, don't care. Hitting send.

48 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Goldtop
LOL

28 days later

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Honestly it jist sounds like he was having perverted phone sex and I doubt he would take things outside of that.