What is Spirituality?

Author: Paul

Total: 63
Paul
Debates: 0
Paul
I've never thought about spirituality very much and find myself wondering what it is?

I'd like to learn what exactly it is, how to achieve it, what the benefits are, why I should be spiritual and read about your personal experiences with spirituality.

I am interested in all forms of spirituality, not just those connected with established mainstream religions.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5
@Paul
@PGA2.0
@Tradesecret
@Dr.Franklin

Paul,

A great definition of ungodly "Spirituality" is at the following link:

To the TRUE Christian like myself, spirituality goes directly against my serial killer Jesus as Yahweh god incarnate.  This is because, spirituality can mean many different feelings and experiences not related to Christianity that somehow move people in a euphoric way, whereas, there should be only one instance like this, and that is the belief in TRUE Christianity. This is of course without anyone trying in vain to rewrite our belief in a Satanic way, like the ever so bible ignorant ethang5, Tradesecret, PGA2.0, Dr. Franklin, et al.  Because of the aforementioned FAKE Christians, I have my work cut out for me on this forum, but I have Jesus' true words within the scriptures to easily smite their Devil Speak, praise Jesus!

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Do you have any True Christian friends
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Dr.Franklin

Dr. Frank,

YOUR INSIPID QUOTE: "Do you have any True Christian friends"

Lets do the simple math, okay? How can I have any TRUE Christian friends, that follow ALL of the Bible as Jesus intended, when I am the only TRUE Christian that I know? Get it?

Paul
Paul
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Yes I do, but the last thing I'm going to do is talk to a friend about religion because I want to keep them as friends.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Paul
Not you, you don't get it

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@BrotherDThomas
You are actually an atheist, stop playing
Paul
Paul
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I don't think that's any secret and I don't see why that would matter unless you think spirituality can only be possible under your own rigid definition. If that’s the case I already know what your going to say.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Paul
I don't think anyone knows at any time what the Doc is going to say. He's interesting and unpredictable.

I've never thought about spirituality very much and find myself wondering what it is?
I'd like to learn what exactly it is,...
I am interested in all forms of spirituality,...
How do you know there are different "forms" of spirituality? For a guy who began by saying you've never much thought about it, and don't know what it is but would like to learn about it, you sure seem sure about some things about it. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
Projecting and strawmanning, poor thang.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
"Spirituality" is internal brain function.

Either, a reaction to external sensory stimulation, or a reaction to an internally generated flow of data.

Nonetheless, spirituality is self generated and self contained.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You are actually an atheist, stop playing
He actually thinks nobody knows.

Can the class say clueless?

I thought t could.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Paul
To put it in a nutshell (without any dogma attached) spirituality is the application and observations of that which transcends the physical sense perceptions. It's like any other field of knowledge or expertise only of a different nature. It is not a material object or something that can be demonstrated in a lab....it's a practice and lifestyle, it's a learning curve and a systematic method or experience.
I'd like to learn what exactly it is, how to achieve it, what the benefits are, why I should be spiritual and read about your personal experiences with spirituality.
Spirituality is like anything else you want to learn about or become, the rules and applications are the same but it involves your own participation. If I were to get you to play the guitar for example, I'd have to actually get you involved with one....playing one and practicing it. The only big difference is the very nature of spirituality, that's the main thing you want to keep in mind. From there learning is no different, since it's an objective reality you can learn and acquire tangible benefits from pursuing it...it's logical and commonsense, there's things that make sense and there's things that may not.

Actually what has intrigued me are my own encounters, more importantly the cross refencing is something to consider in spirituality. That is, the cross examination of encounters and experiences and on top of that my own.
I am interested in all forms of spirituality, not just those connected with established mainstream religions.
No reason to have a narrow approach to religion or spirituality, it all falls under the same umbrella. I call it the demonstrable body of available facts and evidence, some things are true but not everything within this arena is accurate. That takes your own involvement to observe. But if you were to take more of an Omnists approach you can include all of religion, spiritual paths, spiritual encounters and experiences...even NDE's and OBE's and in doing so you would have gathered more information than any other experience period, the data base is overwhelming! It's quite amazing really but then again we don't touch the eternal nature of God, there is so much to experience within an eternal creative Reality.

Paul
Paul
-->
@ethang5
I looked it up in the dictionary and is says:

The quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

Then I looked up the human spirit on the internet and is says:

The human spirit includes our intellect, emotions, fears, passions, and creativity. In the models of Daniel A. Helminiak and Bernard Lonergan, human spirit is considered to be the mental functions of awareness, insight, understanding, judgment and other reasoning powers.

So that's where I started assuming that is not all there is to know about it.

Paul
Paul
-->
@EtrnlVw
Can you tell me about the rules and applications? That seems important if I'm going to start being spiritual. What are the fundamentals, what should I do to get started?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Paul
Good luck on your spiritual journey.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Paul
Can you tell me about the rules and applications?

If you want something you have to give something, if you want something different you have to be willing to do something different. If you wish to have a change in your experiences you have to be willing to let go and allow change to occur whatever that may be. It is a give and take relationship.

However, I would be careful with your intentions because sincerity is everything in spirituality. In other words don't ask me questions with the intent to set traps or catch me in error, ask with the intent of true curiosity and the intent you really want to know or are searching for truth. Deception and spirituality don't mix very well and can have adverse effects so it is always best to be genuine.

That seems important if I'm going to start being spiritual.

Lol, you are already spiritual by nature you can never be anything else however it's your attributes, mindsets and experiences you want to expand. The point is to become aware of what you are unaware of ......on many levels. You can consider spirituality a cultivation if you will.

What are the fundamentals, what should I do to get started?

That depends on what you really want out of your spiritual awakening. There is more individuality than people might be aware of, albeit within an objective reality. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@EtrnlVw
What I want out of my spiritual awakening is to simply experience it and understand what it is.

So far I think you are doing pretty good. I feel a little unsure, but I think I'm beginning to get it.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ethang5
He's is iconoclast

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Paul
So far I think you are doing pretty good. I feel a little unsure, but I think I'm beginning to get it.

Sure, work on that genuine thing pal lol. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
@EtrnlVw
@Paul
P...….. I've decided that I want to be spiritual.

E...…...Good luck pal. Bon voyage.

E.V...…Ok P here's what you do.

P...…... Thanks E.V. I'm getting the hang of it. 

E.V...….That's great P, you'll be fully spiritual in no time. 

Seriously?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@zedvictor4
E.V...….That's great P, you'll be fully spiritual in no time.

No, you didn't get it, that's sad. You must have missed "you are already spiritual by nature you can never be anything else". 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@zedvictor4
P...…... Thanks E.V. I'm getting the hang of it.

Wait....you didn't think that was actually genuine did you? Lol?
disgusted
disgusted
@ET
To put it in a nutshell (without any dogma attached) spirituality is the application and observations of that which transcends the physical sense perceptions.
In English:
To put it in a nutshell (without any dogma attached) spirituality is the application and observations of that which is undetectable, you have to make it up yourself.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Seriously?
Yes.

Should we have done the militant anti-theist thing?

"There is no god!! All gods are man made!! All spirituality is delusion!! You can't prove God exists!! You are stupid!! You have been brainwashed!!" (Insert any other lame anti-theist drone here)

Paul said what he wanted to do. We afforded him that right. Unlike liberal atheists, we don't believe everyone must do what we like.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Quite.

Though it was the simplicity of the journey that amused me.

But does it now transpire that EV was the one who was mocking?

Or are they back peddling?

I'm not certain.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
I've known EV (etrnlVw) for years and I know he doesn't mock or abuse. Not only would Paul gain more knowledge from him than you, he would have a more enjoyable time of it.

I don't think anyone was mocking, therefore no one was back peddling.
The only one who seems to have a problem is you.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Discussions shouldn't be problematic.

Just transfers of data.

Regards.
Paul
Paul
-->
@EtrnlVw
I'm a bit disappointed because you appear to be dismissing me, but that's okay because what you have said so far is helping me understand more than what anyone else has said. Thanks.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
One isn't sure who is or isn't being serious.