Talking to God

Author: Castin

Total: 138
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
To theists:

Do you talk to God? What's this experience like? Is it one-way, where you're sending God prayers, or does God ever touch your mind in response? If there is a response, what is it like? Does God respond in words? Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?

Is there ever a doubting part of you that whispers that you're just talking to yourself? If so, how do you overcome it? Is there a quality to "God's voice" that is immediately and fundamentally distinct from your own inner voice, so that you can always tell when it's supposedly God and when it's just your own mind?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Castin
Do you talk to God?
Yes.

What's this experience like?
Nothing I can explain.

Is it one-way, where you're sending God prayers, or does God ever touch your mind in response?
Sometimes it is one way. Sometimes He does touch my mind (soul) in response.

If there is a response, what is it like?
Different things at different times, but always divine.

Does God respond in words?
That I hear in the air? No. But sometimes, say, as the voice of my mother? Yes.

Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?
Yes, but not always. Sometimes He isn't pleased, and you can feel the distance and displeasure between you.

Is there ever a doubting part of you that whispers that you're just talking to yourself?
When I was a baby Christian before I learned to recognize and trust His voice.

If so, how do you overcome it?
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing come by the word of God.

Is there a quality to "God's voice" that is immediately and fundamentally distinct from your own inner voice, so that you can always tell when it's supposedly God and when it's just your own mind?
Yes, but you must learn to recognize it, because your voice and God's voice are not the only voices in you vying for attention.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@ethang5
Nothing I can explain.

...followed by a lot of explanation.  :-P

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Castin
Do you talk to God?

>> yes

What's this experience like? Is it one-way, where you're sending God prayers, or does God ever touch your mind in response? If there is a response, what is it like? Does God respond in words? Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?

>> God has spoken to me on two occasions,and I have felt his presence 

Is there ever a doubting part of you that whispers that you're just talking to yourself? If so, how do you overcome it? Is there a quality to "God's voice" that is immediately and fundamentally distinct from your own inner voice, so that you can always tell when it's supposedly God and when it's just your own mind?

>> yes I have doubts

ethang5
ethang5
Nothing I can explain.
...followed by a lot of explanation. 

......to other questions.

You had no questions. You had no answers. But you felt your 2 cents was worthy. Thanks.

You doubt, therefore you are. You'd be undefined without theists. You're welcome.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Castin
Do you talk to God?
Yes, I sometimes pray to God/Universe to assist me in winning big in lottery.

Over last 10 years of playing Ive only won about $100.00 overall.

Spent fair amount more than that. Started out only playing $2.00 a week limit.

Three months ago Ive moved to $6.00 a week. Yikes!

Long as I'm working I can justify my spending that amount.  $312. a year

Castin
Castin
-->
@mustardness
Lol. Do you only talk to God about money? If you're praying to the Christian God as described by the Bible, I have doubts he would be especially receptive to material greed.

Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
Do you talk to God?

>> yes

What's this experience like? Is it one-way, where you're sending God prayers, or does God ever touch your mind in response? If there is a response, what is it like? Does God respond in words? Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?

>> God has spoken to me on two occasions,and I have felt his presence 

>> yes I have doubts
Why do you think God chose to speak to you?

What did his presence feel like? Warm? Scary? Familiar? Alien? Loving, distant, etc?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
What if what everyone hears is there higher self? Wouldn't that make a lot more sense than a random caring about certain people's daily lives? 
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
By the way, thank you to everyone giving me honest and polite answers. I realize these are personal questions.

To clarify, I'm not asking theists if you hear words out loud exclusively. They can be in your mind. Or I suppose they can even be words in a book, song, or movie it feels like God is drawing your attention to at the right time.

Do you mean God sometimes speaks in your mind with your mother's voice?

Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?
Yes, but not always. Sometimes He isn't pleased, and you can feel the distance and displeasure between you.
Sounds ominous. Like a rumble-of-thunder moment. Do you know immediately when you're doing something that displeases him?

To ask a further question, how complex can God's messages be while still remaining understandable to the human mind?

Suppose I am a god and I want to give some very personal guidance to one of my children. For instance, I want to say, "Laura, you must stop choosing men who treat you as poorly as your father did. You have the strength to break out of this cycle of self-abuse. Value and respect yourself. Don't be afraid to live independently of a controlling possessive partner. Stop defining okay and not okay by whether an abuser in your life is placated or angered. Take the new job offer, move out of Rick's apartment, and do not thrust a bad father upon your future children. I believe in you, I love you" etc.

Does God send messages this full or detailed? This doesn't seem like something that can be expressed with a wordless divine feeling. Or would God not send a message like this because it's simply too heavy-handed? Is any sufficiently complex message something God would rather you realize for yourself?

What do you mean? By reading the Bible? Or listening to the gospel preached?

Is there a quality to "God's voice" that is immediately and fundamentally distinct from your own inner voice, so that you can always tell when it's supposedly God and when it's just your own mind?
Yes, but you must learn to recognize it, because your voice and God's voice are not the only voices in you vying for attention.
Are you referring to the Adversary?
Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
What if what everyone hears is there higher self? Wouldn't that make a lot more sense than a random caring about certain people's daily lives? 
In my opinion, yes. I think it would explain the personal element better for me, which has always been one of the things I find most difficult to believe about the popular idea of God.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
I agree. It would also explain why there are so many various and different experiences. That is primarily the first step that made me think of a more social spiritual platform. Plus, i've had random experiences that just don't make sense if it is either god or the devil... why in the world would eternal beings care to spook me or show me anything for that matter. Most theists tell me it is the devil tricking me... really, i have the devil's audience. Well... lucky me. The lord of darkness spin's necklaces ;p 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
    --> @ethang5
To clarify, I'm not asking theists if you hear words out loud exclusively. They can be in your mind. Or I suppose they can even be words in a book, song, or movie it feels like God is drawing your attention to at the right time. 

Do you mean God sometimes speaks in your mind with your mother's voice?
No. Like I pray to know which job offer is His choice and my mom tells me a story about my first "job" at 4 years old that makes God's answer clear.

Sounds ominous.
As it should sound. It is a serious thing to fall into the hands of an angry God.

Like a rumble-of-thunder moment. Do you know immediately when you're doing something that displeases him? 
Yes. Most times, before I do it.

To ask a further question, how complex can God's messages be while still remaining understandable to the human mind?
Far more complex than human language can be. Often times I find that He has answered questions I have not asked yet, or has already answered a question whose answer I am waiting for. Often, by His answers, you see how small and short sighted your questions were.

Suppose I am a god and I want to give some very personal guidance to one of my children. For instance, I want to say, "Laura, you must stop choosing men who treat you as poorly as your father did. You have the strength to break out of this cycle of self-abuse. Value and respect yourself. Don't be afraid to live independently of a controlling possessive partner. Stop defining okay and not okay by whether an abuser in your life is placated or angered. Take the new job offer, move out of Rick's apartment, and do not thrust a bad father upon your future children. I believe in you, I love you" etc.

Does God send messages this full or detailed?
Sure. But you're still thinking of God as if He is a life coach. God attacks the problem and not the symptoms. Laura's problem is not daddy issues or self-confidence. Her problem is that she doesn't know who she is. And she doesn't know who she is because she doesn't know who Jesus is. One good look at herself in the glorious light of her creator and her daddy issues and confidence problems would fall away.

This doesn't seem like something that can be expressed with a wordless divine feeling.
Because today, your exposure to Jesus and Christianity is mediated by hollywood, by people who don't know Him, and in fact hate Him.

Or would God not send a message like this because it's simply too heavy-handed?
It was kinda cheezy and family hallmark movie of the week, but I got your drift.

Is any sufficiently complex message something God would rather you realize for yourself?
I don't think complexity is an issue for a God who had His salvation plan completed 2,000 years ago. If it takes 10 years, God will patiently work with you on it.

What do you mean? By reading the Bible? Or listening to the gospel preached?
It is Romans 10.17. It means knowing the word of God. In Luke 17.5,  the apostles asked Jesus how to increase their faith. Observe Jesus's answer. I bet you've never heard an answer like that to such a question.

Are you referring to the Adversary? 
Yes, but not only him. Satan is blamed for far more than he does. There is a part of me that wishes to rebel and oppose God.

Rom 7:19 - For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

Rom 7:20 - Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Rom 7:21 - I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.

Rom 7:22 - For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.

Rom 7:23 - But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Jesus saves us first from ourselves.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Castin

>>I think it is my time to wake up 

What did his presence feel like? Warm? Scary? Familiar? Alien? Loving, distant, etc?

>>overwhelming.powerful.but not scary 

Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
I agree. It would also explain why there are so many various and different experiences. That is primarily the first step that made me think of a more social spiritual platform. Plus, i've had random experiences that just don't make sense if it is either god or the devil... why in the world would eternal beings care to spook me or show me anything for that matter. Most theists tell me it is the devil tricking me... really, i have the devil's audience. Well... lucky me. The lord of darkness spin's necklaces ;p 
Ha, that story was trippy.

I don't think it's necessarily impossible for a cosmic higher power to be interested in human lives. I just find it implausible. To me, this is exactly what a universe without a personal God would look like. Indifferent, chaotic, and amoral. I've been told I'm a cynic.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
Being a cynic is very justifiable in this human experience of ours. I most definitely am. Look at how our world is shaped. Legal slavery and people using their power to control others. I do give people the benefit of the doubt however. I believe there is more good than bad, but still... unconsciously we are still enslaving each other even if we have good hearts. It's a cynical world we live in. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Do you talk to God? What's this experience like? Is it one-way, where you're sending God prayers, or does God ever touch your mind in response? If there is a response, what is it like? Does God respond in words? Is it just a feeling or emotion, like a wordless sense of wellbeing or reassurance?

Talking to God is one-way, but quieting oneself in contemplation becomes two-ways and one can learn much more through learning the distinction between thought and a higher conscious reality. Prayer to God doesn't always have to be a petition, often times I find myself "praying" for things outside myself and also for self-evaluation. Prayer can also be used as a source of edification. God/spirituality always touches on the aspects of our nature including the mind, body and spirit/conscious soul and more than always challenges one to transcend those boundaries.

Sometimes I've had remarkable responses and sometimes I've had intuition spiritually speaking and or nothing at all just practice and being consistent. It's not always the same, it's an adventure and worth investing in. I've actually never heard words but only one time and it wasn't a Divine encounter, I've had many visions and spiritual experiences but usually actual audible noises are rare. Spiritual perception picks up on activity of higher conscious activity and vibration than the mere physical senses and operation. This is why you see spiritual types of practice whether it be meditation, fasting, praying ect ect….just tools to help the conscious soul transcend the physical layer.

Spirituality is not about feelings and emotions even though they touch those aspects of our nature. However feelings and emotions are not our true selves they only serve as purposes of fulfilling desire and whatever it is we wish to seek in creation. Spirituality often times more than not, helps us to understand the distinction between what is true and what is feelings and emotions.
The "reassurance" experiences I've had spiritually are irreplaceable, they are beyond description and come from many spiritual sources. This is why people have such deep gratitude and perspective of God, because the relation between the soul and the first reality is beyond description, most people don't know how to express it beyond a feeling.

No, it is plane and clear the difference between what you and I could produce and want, and what spirituality serves to reveal. It's not even comparable, spirituality drives the individual away from illusion and false ideals and what it wants for itself. True spirituality is understanding the self and its limits, then understanding the distinction between that and the ultimate reality, the unlimited, unrestricted omnipresent Source of all that exists!
There's also a difference between perceiving and "hearing". Perhaps when you actually leave the physical body you may hear God speak like what you see with NDE's. Often times this is just natural, because the soul has left the limits of the physical shell and is subject to the higher reality. But generally speaking it's easy to tell the difference between the self and that which is outside the self. Or perhaps I've just been aware of it longer but it's really simple. Spirituality is based upon observation not hear-say, and not a product of ones mind or imagination even though that exists too.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Castin
Theists know only too well they're talking to themselves. Some require that third party invisible friend who never judges them and always provides the answer they seek as opposed to the truth they avoid.
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix

>>I think it is my time to wake up 

>>overwhelming.powerful.but not scary 
What do you think you're waking up from, and what are you waking up to?

janesix
janesix
-->
@Castin
I have no idea
Castin
Castin
-->
@Goldtop
Theists know only too well they're talking to themselves. Some require that third party invisible friend who never judges them and always provides the answer they seek as opposed to the truth they avoid.
I'm not gonna make assumptions about what other people inwardly "know". How can I be truly certain of what's going on in someone else's head?

I see you've found DART. Where's the guitar pic?
disgusted
disgusted
If you live in your imagination then imagination is your higher self, well spotted.
disgusted
disgusted
An angry god, WOW.
It's amazing that the gods created by man demonstrate the same traits as man, especially the worst traits.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Castin
I'm not gonna make assumptions about what other people inwardly "know". How can I be truly certain of what's going on in someone else's head?

Often, it's their own words that reveal what's going on in their heads.

I'm in the midst of selling that guitar and might put up a pic of my next one.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
True vat!
ethang5
ethang5
I see you've found DART. 
But he isn't following anyone. Noooo.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Goldtop
Often, it's their own words that reveal what's going on in their heads.

I'm in the midst of selling that guitar and might put up a pic of my next one.
What? No. Is it even gonna be another Goldtop? If it's not another Goldtop your username is A LIE. A LIE, Goldtop.

Anyway Goldtop (LIES), no theist's words in this thread have indicated to me that "theists know only too well they're talking to themselves", as you put it.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Castin
What? No. Is it even gonna be another Goldtop? If it's not another Goldtop your username is A LIE. A LIE, Goldtop.

It will be different, so yes, the name will be a big fat lie. What's a poor boy to do?

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
I see you've found DART. 
But he isn't following anyone. Noooo.
Well I've been posting on DDO just to flash the DART link in my sig and attract new members, so he could've found us that way. I think I shared the link on Sciforums as well. Can't remember for sure. We need more members, I would've had the url spelled out in skywriting if I had the dough to spare.

Concerning your last post to me on page 1 -- do you mind if I break my reply into two or three posts? Trying to talk about all of it at once would make posts very long.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
Sure.

I had assumed you were done and was not expecting a reply. Do or don't. But no stress.