Star Wars -- Rey and Snokes

Author: LordLuke

Total: 13
LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
I was just listening to Literature Devil, and I was wondering. Is it true that some people actually think that Rey and Snokes are good characters?

Just wanna know and see if anyone here believes it.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@LordLuke
I'm sure there are. Personally, I don't think they're bad characters, although they're not great either (but the Snoke in the How It Should Have Ended channel on YT is).
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@LordLuke
The writing for Rey is bad enough, that I used her as an example in the Kritik guide. https://tiny.cc/Kritik

Snoke... He was just a plot device instead of a character. 

22 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Kylo Ren is the best scripted villian in Star Wars. I hate Rey is going to be a New Jedi. She is too vulnerable to Kylo
Vader
Vader
Darth Vader wanted to rule the galaxy under Snoke. Kylo wants to rule the Galaxy under his evil regime. It is a neat plot and I do enjoy it. TLJ gets a lot of bad slack for what its worth

TFA was awful. Predictable...
Vader
Vader
We know Solo was going to die in TFA, but it is just idiotic how it happens and the backstory
Vader
Vader
I also believe Rey and Luke are related, but don't ask me why
Vader
Vader
Kylo Ren;s fall will be his ego, just calling it 

Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Snoke I think was respected as a character mainly because he had so much mystery and potential as a villain in the Star Wars Universe, not because of what he actually did in the movies. His death scene in TLJ is arguably the most asinine plot choice made in that movie (Which is an impressive feat) due to how many questions were left unanswered. What was his overall goal, where is he from, how did he get to the position he is in, his true feelings of Kylo as an apprentice, Rey as a possible candidate for the dark side, etc. 

Rey is the most blatant example of a Mary-Sue character I've ever seen and I dont find her interesting at all (poor writing, not poor acting). I cannot see why people would genuinely think she is a well-written character, but I can fully understand why people cut Snoke some more slack since he had potential whereas Rey arguably does not. 
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@Vader
Kylo Ren I initially liked as a villain just because he seemed so bat-shit unstable and unpredictable that you had no real idea what he would or would do in certain circumstances. A lot of previous Star Wars villains were these very uptight, ultra-well trained fighters with cunning intellect and soft spots for monologuing, Kylo seems like he would kill Rey just because he doesnt like her face. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Imabench
I agree. Rey's character was poorly written with no true story to how she came in contact with powers. It feels so political to me. This women that came from poverty now has the force powers. WOOAAAHHHHH! A women has the force.

I like the Fin a lot though. I like how he differentiates from the plot overall and is key to unique writing. If he was the lead and had the force, I think this film would be better. A storm trooper who rebelled ended up with the force
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Rey is uninteresting but a lot of the hate she receives is undeserved. If she were an uninteresting male character (e.g. Luke) most people would be like "huh" and shrug it off. The difference is that she's the victim of uninspired writing, whereas the original Star Wars was groundbreaking in virtually all respects at the time so nobody really sees Luke as boring because it was a good movie. She had the misfortune of starring in a lackluster film series, and because she was a boring female character she unjustly got the blame for all of it.

The label "Mary Sue" is overdone as well. This Star Wars trilogy was going to be made whether feminism was a thing or not (as any Star War film was obviously going to be a big cash cow), and it was going to suck whether feminism was a thing or not because whoever the writer was just plain sucked. Looking back Anakin was an enormous Mary Sue (he started his training years later than everyone else but still ended up nearly qualified to sit on the Jedi Council at roughly 25 years old though everyone else on there was fricking ancient and had spent their entire lives serving the Jedi Order and mastering their art before receiving the honor), but nobody calls him that because he had a penis.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Swagnarok
After watching Episode 9, I think Rey’s character is better written than I thought. They did a good job with this. Personally a very good episode overall and I enjoyed watching it. I think they did Kylo injustice and I think this was a huge fuck up