Modern art is a total scam

Author: DynamicSquid

Total: 96
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@DynamicSquid
I could literally recreate every single picture in milliseconds. I don't care about the fake "emotion" they put into it, or the amount of "skill" it takes to splash paint like a 2 year old.

Real art takes skill, and possibly weeks of painting.

Change my mind.
Do you mean modern art or contemporary art?

I don’t care if the art is not an original, as long at it looks good.
The work put into design isn’t exclusive to the canvas.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Reece101
I don't think this person understands what graphic design is
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
For your saucers to be art, particularly by hanging an apparent non-relative title on it, caused a major rift between ordinary people who could appreciate art no more than deciding they "liked it," or not, but had no frame of reference to modern abstract art, which gave them nothing but what appeared to be tossing a paint bucket at a canvas, for example. We recognize that it is paint, and that's as far as it goes for lay novice in the art world. Your saucers might be compared to Picasso's effort of mounting bicycle handle bars to a bicycle seat, to offer the sudden, immediately recognized bull's head skeleton, except that your saucers, immediately recognized as such, and your given title, "Onward to Victory," offer no relevance to one another the lay art critic can conclude and say, "I get it." Another good example of truly good art is Rene Magritte's painting of a smoking pipe, titled, "The treachery of Images," with the phrase written beneath the pipe, "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." [This is not a pipe]. It isn't; it's just a simple, accurate drawing of a pipe. The art is as much a part of the title ans the painting, itself.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
@fauxlaw
All true I expect.

I'm not necessarily knocking skill and good visual  modern art.

I'm questioning what actually is art....Is it as much the thought as it is the end result.....Perhaps even more so.

Christo's wrappings for example, were no doubt visually impressive....And though Christo had the ideas and pointed the finger,  the installations were the work of a team of skilful engineers......So who actually created the artwork?....And who will be remembered for doing so?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@SirAnonymous

Modern Art in song.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
@Reece101
There’s a ton of really cool innovative art forms.
I agree tons of tons and here is recent one 3ru posted. It is crude and crass, --no indecency shown and maybe not stated---   but I think a great example of music video art. LINK

I gave it 5 stars { ***** }, but hey I'm not really into much the art this or that as a critique, however,  I liked it for its humor embedded within all of the the techo hip-hop music -- not dance music for me---, but I thought it was interesting for sure.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@zedvictor4

If you can convince the gullible it's art, then they will happily part with their money.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't want to buy anything they offer you, go ahead. If you are gonna criticize an artwork through a single kind and/or work of art, remember that you aren't living in a society with a linear standard of art. There are people who like Picasso's surrealism, there are people who like Da Vinci's realism, and there are people who likes Michelangelo's 3d works instead of 2d... Of course, if people are willing to buy it as art, it is art to them, even if it isn't to you. And if it is being traded and identified as art by at least a part of society(say, a taped banana being sold for like 100,000$), it would be classified as art. If it is art, then some people like it, and let them be.

58 days later

Ingbay
Ingbay
-->
@DynamicSquid
Hi, still new here, but I'd just like to give my perspective coming from a standpoint of contemporary western music. 

This first problem with this statement, as others have pointed out, is what qualifies as modern art. I'm assuming you're talking about modern art in terms of modern abstract art and whatnot. 

First of all, I'd like to distinguish between three main categories we can generalize art into. Those being: Art (or Academic), Folk, and Pop.

Academic art is usually art that is incomprehensible to most people, relies heavily on analysis, etc.

Popular art is self-explanatory, generally this will be art that is intuitive and naturally appealing to the eye (or ear, etc.).

Folk art is any form of art that arises out of cultural traditions and customs.

Any piece of art will exist on any spectrum of these 3 (again this is somewhat of a generalization), and the modern art you appear to be describing would fall into the extreme ends of the Academic category. As such, any disgust or negative reactions you have to this specific type of modern art is most likely due to a lack of understanding. 

I don't care about the fake "emotion" they put into it, or the amount of "skill" it takes to splash paint like a 2 year old.
This sentiment is due to a lack of understanding of what constitutes this style of art. As I'm not very well versed in art that manifests in physical medium, I'll just draw analogies to the music world. Twelve tone serialism (mainly developed and popularized by Schoenberg), was the first time in western music in which the very concept of tonality was abolished. If you listen to some of Schoenberg's compositions, they are extremely dissonant and unappealing, it very much sounds like a 2 year old mashing the keys. However, with just a basic understanding of the theory behind it, there are some ridiculous rules constraining the style of music. As the music theory nerds will tell you, 12 tone serialism is insanely complex, and people like Schoenberg are considered no less than geniuses for coming up with such a system and composing within it.

To the ordinary person, sure, it's unappealing and terrible and low effort, but someone with a deep understanding of the matter will say differently.

P.S. Just realized that the user is banned, already wrote this so I guess I'll post it.

Username
Debates: 9
Username
This thread was a total scam.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
To be art, sacred or profane (I mean sacred in a secular sense, too), I believe the would be artist must express ingenuity. By that, I mean that any fool can dip a hand into a pigment and slap that hand on a cave wall.  But, the guy who put his hand on the wall and spat the pigment from his mouth onto the wall, making the negative space shape of his hand, that guy was innovative. That’s art.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Well yep.

But the notion of "Art", is just that.

And so... What do you do in a dingy cave, when all hunting and gathering is safely stored and the missus is underneath the skins with a headache?

Home improvements, that's what.

134 days later

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
UPDATE

BANKSY ART that SHREDDED ITSELF SELLS for $25 MILLION at AUCTION
When it was last sold at auction three years ago, a hidden shredder embedded in the frame by Banksy whirred to life.

Author: JILL LAWLESS (Associated Press)
LONDON, UK — A work by British street artist Banksy that sensationally self-shredded just after it sold at auction three years ago fetched 18.5 million pounds ($25.4 million) on Thursday — a record for the artist, and close to 20 times its pre-shredded price.

“Love is in the Bin” was offered by Sotheby’s in London, with a presale estimate of 4 million pounds to 6 million pounds ($5.5 million to $8.2 million).

After a 10-minute bidding war involving nine bidders in the saleroom and more online and by phone, it sold for three times the high estimate.

The piece consists of a half-shredded canvas in an ornate frame bearing a spray-painted image of a girl reaching for a heart-shaped red balloon.

When it last sold at Sotheby’s in October 2018, the piece was known as “Girl With Balloon.” Just as an anonymous European buyer made the winning bid — for 1 million pounds ($1.4 million) — a hidden shredder embedded in the frame by Banksy whirred to life, leaving half the canvas hanging from the frame in strips.

Sotheby’s received some criticism at the time for failing to spot the hidden shredder. But the 2018 buyer decided to go through with the purchase, a decision that was vindicated on Thursday as the work's price soared.

The work quickly became one of Banksy’s most famous, and Sotheby’s sent it on tour to cities including New York and Hong Kong before Thursday’s auction.

Sotheby’s chairman of modern and contemporary art, called the shredding “one of the most ingenious moments of performance art this century.”

“It has been a whirlwind to follow the journey of this now legendary piece and to have it back in our midst, offering it tonight in the very room it was created by the artist,” Branczik said. “Banksy is no stranger to making headlines and this latest chapter in his story has captured imaginations across the world — we can only begin to guess what might come next.”

Banksy, who has never confirmed his full identity, began his career spray-painting buildings in Bristol, England, and has become one of the world’s best-known artists. His mischievous and often satirical images include two male police officers kissing, armed riot police with yellow smiley faces and a chimpanzee with a sign bearing the words, “Laugh now, but one day I’ll be in charge.”

sadolite
sadolite
Art cant be a scam. Art is for fools and their money, no misrepresentation or guarantees are offered, with the exception of forgery of existing art. Forgery would be a scam and that isn't art, its a crime.

355 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
Art cant be a scam. Art is for fools and their money, no misrepresentation or guarantees are offered, with the exception of forgery of existing art. Forgery would be a scam and that isn't art, its a crime
Only the Rich can afford to invest in art. Being rich they have already proven they are smart.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
OK I will be nice this time and repeat a request I made and see if you have any honor by honoring my request. I have no interest with engaging with you on this site. Please do not respond to any of my posts.
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Shila
OK I will be nice this time and repeat a request I made and see if you have any honor by honoring my request. I have no interest with engaging with you on this site. Please do not respond to any of my posts.
To be polite I will respond since you addressed Shila.
When did your interest interest anyone?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
My advice is to ignore that which you do not wish to interact with.

As it is, you continue to interact with that which you say you do not wish to interact with.

This begs two questions.

A. Do you actually enjoy interacting with Shila in this way?

B. Why can you not ignore that which you do not wish to interact with?

Because as it is, they have the upper hand.

I personally have no problem with Shila.

Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @sadolite
My advice is to ignore that which you do not wish to interact with.

As it is, you continue to interact with that which you say you do not wish to interact with.

This begs two questions.

A. Do you actually enjoy interacting with Shila in this way?

B. Why can you not ignore that which you do not wish to interact with?

Because as it is, they have the upper hand.

I personally have no problem with Shila.
Sadolite is already doing what you suggested. He has no friends, he has not participated in any debates. Shila might be his last hope of joining humanity.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
Talks about ones self in the third person, not a human. Chat bot most likely. Now for something completely different "The Larch" “In life you have not made it , If they haven't tried to use your history or past life against you.  Is then they preach to be kind to others trying to cleanse their soul and consciousness. Cretinous one-liners that they imagine are definitive refutations. By dark water and the old birch tree,
amidst a torrent of fallen leaves,
wind rustles through bloodied plastic

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Shila
Talks about ones self in the third person, not a human. Chat bot most likely. Now for something completely different "The Larch" “In life you have not made it , If they haven't tried to use your history or past life against you.  Is then they preach to be kind to others trying to cleanse their soul and consciousness. Cretinous one-liners that they imagine are definitive refutations. By dark water and the old birch tree,
amidst a torrent of fallen leaves,
wind rustles through bloodied plastic
You are changing the subject even before you complete your thought.

sadolite
sadolite
My bad maybe this will clear things up. I appeal this reveal worth really feature of leak surge keep. The beat burp this heard critique words impressive stir of a verb to down boy sit. The watch clog disturb these idioms are at admit may sound bloated. The silly wand ruthless tongue in my intent. I am hell bent on sentences demented. But anyway the dog dick nats circle the feast that awaits in the infected ulcers of the dog groin.

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
My bad maybe this will clear things up. I appeal this reveal worth really feature of leak surge keep. The beat burp this heard critique words impressive stir of a verb to down boy sit. The watch clog disturb these idioms are at admit may sound bloated. The silly wand ruthless tongue in my intent. I am hell bent on sentences demented. But anyway the dog dick nats circle the feast that awaits in the infected ulcers of the dog groin.
That explains why you cannot complete your thought. You stayed incoherent for too long.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
Maybe this will clear things up, I come to pluck your berries harsh and crude,
And with forc’d fingers rude
Shatter your leaves before the mellowing year.
Bitter constraint and sad occasion dear
Compels me to disturb your reason  due

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
-> @Shila
Maybe this will clear things up, I come to pluck your berries harsh and crude,
And with forc’d fingers rude
Shatter your leaves before the mellowing year.
Bitter constraint and sad occasion dear
Compels me to disturb your reason  due
So you have rude fingers. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
yes, in the land of ten
fingers the twelve fingered man
is the guitar king

Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
-->
@Shila
yes, in the land of ten
fingers the twelve fingered man
is the guitar king

How many fingers did Hound Dog Taylor have?

six fingers on each hand.
Taylor was born in Natchez, Mississippi, in 1915, though some sources say 1917. He first played the piano and began playing the guitar when he was 20. He moved to Chicago in 1942. Taylor had a condition known as polydactylism, which resulted in him having six fingers on both hands.

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Shila
Can you stop being a necromancer?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Shila
Then you had to come along and reveal them all again.
Thanks for that. And sorry, but the person you are trying
So desperately to reach is Unavailable.
To be perfectly clear.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Hey.

Sadolite the poet.

Good stuff.

Keep it up.

Sure enough.

Out of anxiety,

Came, 

Blissful expression.
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Shila
Then you had to come along and reveal them all again.
Thanks for that. And sorry, but the person you are trying
So desperately to reach is Unavailable.
To be perfectly clear.
But his music is still here.