Beat Saber is the greatest video game of all time

Author: airmax1227

Total: 13
airmax1227
Debates: 0
airmax1227
The title of this thread might be a bit hyperbolic, but there's certainly an argument to be made for it.

Not since Tetris has a game held my focus to such a degree that I've been put in a nearly zen like state. While ultimately all you are doing in BeatSaber is swinging a light sword at block at various angles, it is this simplicity that is also its genius. The cliche' about easy to learn, simple to master most certainly applies to Beat Saber, and it's that learning curve that makes it almost as satisfying as slicing those note blocks in half.

At first, the new player will start with easy songs (and perhaps the campaign mode) and get the hang of it pretty quickly, but then the difficulty is ramped up and a road block may be placed before the player. It is at this moment that the genius of the game truly manifests. Many attempts and failures at the same song will ultimately result in one of the most satisfying game outcomes, that, I don't believe I have felt in any game before and likely wont for a long time.

it is in that moment of trying to pass a particularly difficult section of a song, where once it felt almost unachievable, only to find oneself swinging, almost instinctively, possessed by some inner desire for mastery, finally taking over - and then bam, song beaten and mission accomplished. Of course, that sensation isn't inexplicable, or spiritual or anything beyond simple science. It is simply muscle memory taking over in a manner not dissimilar to finger movements on a flat game. However, in BeatSaber this is almost your entire body reaction to muscle memory, getting you past a portion of a song you thought would be impossible. I can't tell you how many times I've just gotten beyond a portion of a song just to think to myself, 'holy fluck, how did I just do that....' And that sensation of being a Jedi Master is then fully internalized, and you can't help but think, Darth Vader would be a push over in a light saber battle if he hasn't played Beat Saber.

It's hard to properly articulate exactly what it is that makes BeatSaber so satisfying, but I believe the above mostly describes my experience with it. In fact I've become so enthusiastic with BeatSaber (and VR in general, I'm practically a VR evangelist at this point) that I was compelled to learn how to record my oculus feed and post clips to Youtube.

This first vid is me playing Panic at the Disco, greatest show... this is the first time I ever recorded something, so for whatever reason, perhaps minor latency, my skills (as humble as they may be) are a bit off....

This second vid is of me playing some remake of I Knew You Were Trouble on Expert+... I wanted to test a harder song and resolve recording issues and such... so these vids might not be the best display of my skill in Beat Saber or video production(perhaps they are) but they reflect my attempt at figuring out the technical aspects of oculus recording... but most importantly, they allow me to visualize my enthusiasm for, if not the best game ever, the best game of this generation - the impact of which is yet to fully be seen.

I hope you enjoyed the vids, and if you have any thoughts on anything, please share them in this thread.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Vaarka
@airmax1227
So it is osu! but with VR

@Vaarka 

I summon thee to this game
Vader
Vader
-->
@airmax1227
I am getting a monitor and a full setup soon. If I get VR from working, I should consider this
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Vader
Yeah, it is essentially OSU but in VR... I'd also expand that to every rhythm game... DDR, guitar hero etc... The only difference is the ultimate design and therefore satisfaction from the game. I'd imagine DDR is similar in that sense, though I never gave that much of a chance...

If you get any kind of VR, BeatSaber should be your first purchase...

I bought a PS4 just to play Tetris Effect, and then I had to buy a PSVR to utilize its VR aspects, and that game is amazing... but BeatSaber is THE VR system seller... I bought a gaming PC and Rift S largely to play BeatSaber. The rift S has internal sensors (better than the PSVR external) and PC VR allows for modding. While I can go on for awhile about the greatness of VR, it largely starts at BeatSaber. So the day you get a VR headset, BeatSaber should be the first game you play.

On a side note, Facebook just bought Beat Games (the creators of BeatSaber). While I don't care much for facebook, the stuff they are doing with VR is amazing. I'm very excited to see what Facebook does with the acquisition of beat games - hopefully they don't stop user mods, that's my only fear - and with furthering VR in general.
Vader
Vader
-->
@airmax1227
Yea fair, but with the complex patterns that looks simple on paper, but with hard beat maps and a simple design. osu! is a bit simpler since you aren't in the VR aspect and it's just mouse and clicking and ragging versus this game which is a sword slice and direction for slice over a BPM interval
Vader
Vader
-->
@airmax1227
With osu! too, you can hear click of the beat versus the VR where you may not hear it overall, but get the Guitar Hero aspect where you can prepare for the movements
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Vader
OSU and BeatSaber are both rhythm games, yet I believe the comparison to them ends there - though I imagine a similar sense of satisfaction can be derived from both. I haven't played OSU so I can't speak about it much.

With osu! too, you can hear click of the beat versus the VR where you may not hear it overall
Yeah, it seems to be different focus in OSU. OSU (based on my limited knowledge) seems act as more directly to 1 to 1 beat reactions. BeatSaber can have this aspect on certain maps, but the focus is a bit different. Sword slices, directions and movements can be a bit less direct to the aspect of the song. The best BeatSaber maps use the potential of the songs though. If there are a lot of beats, there should be a lot of notes to hit. The chorus of the songs should contain similar, if not identical, movements. Either way it has to all flow well and feel like it relates to the song. The most fun maps, the ones I play over and over again, are ones that seem impossible at first, but are logical and able to learn with some practice. Some maps just seem too random for the sake of creating really challenging but awkward swing moments.

The second song I posted is a great example of excellent map creation. There are some very difficult moments, but the movements are very fluid once learned, and they repeat with the portions of the song. You can actually see that in either video I get a bit better at anticipating note locations over time and that's an indication of a really good map design.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Vader
@airmax1227
I've owned this game for a day, and I can already tell you I agree that this is probably one of the best video games out. It's so fun, and addicting. It's a great workout too, you tend not to mind sweating and being sore, the thrill of smashing those beats tends to win out the soreness of your muscles.

You workout all parts of your body too, your legs (lots of squating, and leaning) and your arms. Good cardio. After being stuck on a level that you previously thought was impossible and then conquering it with ease hours later, brings back those dark souls vibes. 

I am definitely a huge fan of the game, and I foresee I will be playing the hell out of it. Finally beat 13b this morning, was stuck on that all night. Now stuck on 17A and B. Im sure I will get it by tomorrow.  VR FTW

Vader
Vader
-->
@Lunatic
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Vader
@airmax1227
I've known of Beat Saber for a while, but I can't afford VR so I've never played it

Also hey airmax! Never thought I'd see you here
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Vaarka
It's one of the greatest games ever, so it is a shame that there's still a substantial barrier to entry since it requires a decent PC (or PS4) and an HMD. But hopefully in the next few years it will have greater availability to more people as a result of lower prices and accessibility. The oculus quest is one such HMD making Beat Saber, and VR, easier and more accessible lately.

Even if you can't play, you do have an opportunity to enjoy an epic back and forth battle of Beat Sabering between Lunatic and myself with the fate of humanity hanging in the balance, as detailed in this thread:

It should eventually feature many great video posts of high quality Beat Saber action.

Also hey airmax! Never thought I'd see you here
Well I have to be somewhere, and so, I might as well be here. Good to see you btw, I hope all is well with you.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@airmax1227
I want vr for PC soooo bad. I am so jealous you can download custom songs!
Lunatic
Lunatic
Machine first try one expert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hvRPMcGMVI