Greta Thunberg

Author: DynamicSquid

Total: 34
DynamicSquid
Debates: 29
DynamicSquid
She got nominated as the number one person this year.

But her campaign's a joke.

You see, she's cool and all, and her campaigns are not that bad, but she's not going to get anything done. She's just wasting her time out their.

Anyone want me to elaborate?
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@DynamicSquid
I agree. She's a public speaker and little more. She hasn't accomplished much of anything besides being good at getting media attention.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@DynamicSquid
She's currently a popular product and she's well marketed.

Though, as ever opinions will always be divided.

So what's new?

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@SirAnonymous
You were Time's Person of the year in 2006. What did you accomplish?

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
I looked that up. If "You" is the best they can come up with for a person of the year, I guess that award doesn't require accomplishing anything to get.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@SirAnonymous
Bingo bango.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
Of course, this begs the question of how this award is in any way meaningful if you don't have to accomplish anything to get it. I'm guessing the answer is that it's not meaningful at all.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@SirAnonymous
It isn't. It is a marketing technique for Times to sell Times magazines.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
The time magazine person of the year should be Donald Trump, and I´m not a Trump supporter.  It´s Time MAGAzine.  Like if you laughed.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
She’s a spoiled brat, simple.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@SirAnonymous
Of course, this begs the question of how this award is in any way meaningful if you don't have to accomplish anything to get it. I'm guessing the answer is that it's not meaningful at all.

I didn't starve or suffocate myself. I earned that Time's award!
DynamicSquid
DynamicSquid
-->
@drafterman
@ILikePie5
@zedvictor4
@SirAnonymous
Cool. I'm glad you all agree with me. I thought there would be more conflict here though...
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@DynamicSquid
I think you would have to be really into the environmentalist movement to not see what's going on here. Which reminds me that I missed a week with my Environmental Wacko NFL Predictions.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@DynamicSquid
You, and your type, are the joke, not her. 

Unlike you and your type,sShe has access to her empathy centers of the brain

..." Climate activist Greta Thunberg's even more inspiring message: Asperger's is her 'superpower' "....

.." Climate activist Greta Thunberg's even more inspiring message: Asperger's is her 'superpower' "...

Yeah, the mature --not yet adult status--- telling the adults how immature and sincere lack of moral integrity that they have, in regards to the future of humanity on Earth.  Thank You Greta for speaking truth to those who lack moral and spiritual integrity. Thank You Greta!

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ebuc
You seem to have missed the point. Yes, she probably inspires many people. However, she has accomplished nothing concrete. Furthermore, while it would require being comfortable with public speaking, it would not require a huge amount of bravery (more than I have, but still not a lot) to make a speech to Congress. Half of them agree with her, and the other half is shouted down as "deniers."
Also, how is this a moral question? The reason Congress isn't doing much about climate change is not that they're fine if we burn, but that a lot of them don't think we're in danger of burning. I know it probably feels good to believe that people who disagree with you must necessarily be immoral, but that's just not true, except in extreme cases. In this one, they disagree that the science supports the theory of anthropogenic global warming. That may, from your perspective, make them wrong, but it doesn't make them immature or immoral.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@SirAnonymous
You seem to have missed the point.
You need to go back and read #1 post and the thread topic.

Yes, she probably inspires many people.
YOu would have to brain dead to think otherwise.  And some around here appear brain dead. At least to me and my standards of moral and intellectual integrity.

In this one, they disagree that the science supports the theory of anthropogenic global warming. That may, from your perspective, make them wrong, but it doesn't make them immature or immoral.
Yes it does.  You confusing " Global Warming " with burning.  Burning is a possibliity if all the methane in the subsurface of land at bottom of the oceans is released and the northern Boreal forests catch fire.

The most detrimental resultant,--- putting aside the worst case scenarios above---  is erratic weather events where we are will continue to have down pours where the water runs off into the oceans and does nothing to refill freshwater aquafiers.

The then there is a whole set of societal phenomena that could lead to a nuclear annihilation resultant scenario.

May around here have much to narrow mind to think much beyond their personal armpits. That is how it appears to me.

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ebuc
You need to go back and read #1 post and the thread topic.
I did. This was Squid's reason for calling her a joke.
You see, she's cool and all, and her campaigns are not that bad, but she's not going to get anything done. She's just wasting her time out their.
You didn't really address this in your post. What has she actually done, and what is she likely to accomplish in the future?
YOu would have to brain dead to think otherwise.  And some around here appear brain dead. At least to me and my standards of moral and intellectual integrity.
What do moral standards have to do with being brain dead, and what do either of those things have to whether or not she is inspiring or has accomplished anything?
Yes it does.  You confusing " Global Warming " with burning.  Burning is a possibliity if all the methane in the subsurface of land at bottom of the oceans is released and the northern Boreal forests catch fire.

The most detrimental resultant,--- putting aside the worst case scenarios above---  is erratic weather events where we are will continue to have down pours where the water runs off into the oceans and does nothing to refill freshwater aquafiers.
I'm aware of that. I was just too lazy to figure out how to put that in just a few words. I probably should have used a more accurate term.
The then there is a whole set of societal phenomena that could lead to a nuclear annihilation resultant scenario.
What does this have to do with Greta Thunberg or global warming (or anthropogenic climate change, if you prefer)?
May around here have much to narrow mind to think much beyond their personal armpits. That is how it appears to me.
How could you reach that conclusion from a thread about Greta Thunberg?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Back in the day they were referred to as precocious.

Now it's asperger's  and we're supposed to feel empathy.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Greta Thumberg doesn't effect policy. She is a whiner for a good cause. The Hong Kong Protesters were 96% favorites and have a direct impact on a corrupt Chinese govt. They should have won. Pathetic TIME
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I would like to see Greta Thumberg support nuclear power.  She'd be more consistent that way.
DynamicSquid
DynamicSquid
-->
@Vader
@zedvictor4
@Alec
@Discipulus_Didicit
@ebuc
The government is trash at getting things done. The only government that will actually get things done is a progressive government. But, a progressive government is far from likely, so the only thing that will happen, is whatever rich people want to happen.

Government officials aren't rich. They need money fro campaign, projects, and others things. Where do they get the money? Rich people. Most major politicians have rich personal donors (George Soros), or large corporations (NRA). These people and corporations can literally affect an entire country.

---

Take the NRA for example.

Guns are bad, and in America, guns are terrible. So why aren't there serious regulations and major steps taken to deal with them? Cause the NRA spends literal millions of dollars buying the politicians (NRA spending). In 2016, the NRA spent $54 million to secure Republican control. Shit...

---

Let's take a look at George Soros (this is my theory and could possibly be false, so don't take my word for it).

Soros is a rich rich guy. He has connections to Wall Street. He makes money off American companies' success. When Canadian companies do good, American companies do bad, so he hates Canadian companies.

Canada is rich in oil sands. If we export it, we can potentially because very rich off of it, and potentially overshadow American oil companies. We can export it through the expansion of the pipeline.

So Soros (and the rest of Wall Street) hates the pipeline. Who else hates pipelines? Liberals (well, they don't hate pipelines, but they won't develop them as much as the other parties). And it turns out, the Canadian Federal Election is coming up. Huh, interesting...

Soros paid huge sums of money to make the Liberals win. And that's not all. He also wanted to win the people - to make them hate pipelines. And who hates pipelines (well, climate change actually, but they are related)?

Greta Thunberg.

Why only weeks before the election, did Greta come to Canada? Why didn't see go to the Arctic to support polar bears?

Cause George Soros sponsored Greta's trip to Canada, swaying the minds of millions.

Greta claims that her "parents pay for tickets and accommodations." I claim that's bullshit.

Because of this, George Soros (and the rest of Wall Street) can continue grow his $8 billion wealth.

---

So it's not the protesters like Greta that make a difference, it's the billionaires that do.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@SirAnonymous
I did. This was Squid's reason for calling her a joke.
I already addressed this, please reread again, you and your type are the joke, not Greta.

You didn't really address this in your post. What has she actually done, and what is she likely to accomplish in the future?
The topic of this thread is Greta, not what you state above. I never claimed she has done anything other than what she has done.

Your creating a false never that is not relevant to any of my comments.

What do moral standards have to do with being brain dead, and what do either of those things have to whether or not she is inspiring or has accomplished anything?
Ha, you still have no idea.  This is why your brain dead and have not any moral or intellectual integrity on this issue.  You and your type are way behind the 8-ball.

What does this have to do with Greta Thunberg or global warming (or anthropogenic climate change, if you prefer)?
More evidence your brain dead on this issue.  Greenhouse effect > Global Warming > Erratic Climate and Weather phenomena > societal resultants due to all of the previous . Greta speaking to you ---in one of your ears and out the other-- > and others like you.

How could you reach that conclusion from a thread about Greta Thunberg?

More evidence of how brain dead you are.  Now your playing ego based mind games.  Greta = Speaking the Truth about humanities likely future.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Now it's asperger's  and we're supposed to feel empathy.
Yeah, but apparrently you have no idea of what specifically her empathy  ---and should also be all humans---  are being set off by.

I think your are perhaps clueless on this issue. I dunno.

DynamicSquid
DynamicSquid
-->
@Alec
Greta's cool, her progress, not so much, but at least she's trying. However, I just wanted to throw this out there for context you could say.

• People spend 200 million hours each day in Africa just trying to find clean drinking water.
  • 20% of those hours are from children, who have to walk 6 kilometers (3.7 miles) regularly to collect water for their entire family.
  • Last month, 750 children were arrested fighting for their future and human rights in Hong Kong. Children!
  • And another 15,000 children, each under the age of 5, die each day due to highly preventable causes.

Yet we have this girl with an endless supply of water at her fingertips, with her rights fully protected by a safe and stable government, complaining that her childhood was "stolen."

Do you see the problem here?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@DynamicSquid
So it's not the protesters like Greta that make a difference, it's the billionaires that do.
On this we can agree, in so far as, many of have known since the 60's that it is coporrations and coporate money that rules the world not governements.

..those who have the gold make the rules......is a cartoon thingy that any person in the know, actually knows it is true.
DynamicSquid
DynamicSquid
-->
@ebuc
Yes.

So we can all agree that Greta won't get anything done?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DynamicSquid
The government is trash at getting things done. 

Not sure why I was tagged in this but yeah, that is generally a true statement.

The only government that will actually get things done is a progressive government.

What? a person that thinks their way of thinking is the only way of thinking that could possibly work? In 2019? Say it's not so...

So why aren't there serious regulations and major steps taken to deal with them? Cause the NRA spends literal millions of dollars buying the politicians

Haha okay, I guess next you will be telling me that the sky is blue and grass is green.

Yup, blue sky green grass. Called it. Why was I tagged again?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@DynamicSquid
You literally just proved my point thank you
ebuc
ebuc
So we can all agree that Greta won't get anything done?
Who knows what has gotten done as a result of her speaking truth.

Wasnt it Margret Mead who made some comment that went something, like.....all things that happen in the world begin with a single humans efforts, or was it more like,.........dont doubt the power of one individual to make a differrence in the world.

Maybe it was someone else, but are well taken points, unless your ego blocks out truth.

Know one knows the future resultants of anyone's actions.  Speaking truth can sometimes ---and many times does take courage because, they are  times be threatened.
DynamicSquid
DynamicSquid
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@ebuc
DisDid

Oh yeah, sorry about the tagging thing. No clue why I did that. I guess it was just an extension of this forum. Thought you might be interested.

Ebuc

Marget's dead. Also that was before today.

What I mean is that times have changed. Lobbying was introduced earlier, but it wasn't at full force like it is today.

Also, governments and large corporations don't care about anyone. They care about money. Who are you going to blame? The CEO? Good luck trying to talk to him? And his representatives will be like "uh.. yah, talk to the CEO about that question."

We need a government that isn't being bought by companies.

Andrew Yang btw? Yang2020? Anyone?