Civil Disobedience: A Cry For Reform

Author: Vader

Total: 22
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
“The greatest glory in living is not in falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Nelson Mandela was a man of true honor. Serving time for the injustices he spent in prison due to protesting hateful apartheid. He is a hero for calling upon Ghandi's system that led to the freedom of British Raj. Mandela served the time, but then came out stronger than ever.

I have served the time and have did the time, but this injustice will not go without speaken. I was wrongly banned for 7 days under a system poorly enforced and administered. This is my cry for justice
This thread was by an user I had previously had an RO with and I did not realize it was his thread. This thread did not directly go out to him, but to the content where I suggested to change my hottest person. While I understand the violation, 7 days ban without a warning is terribly injustice and excessive

First, there are no rules for RO's. They are loosely handed out and loosely given out. Some RO violating threads deserve a ban, but this one did not at all. 

I will propose an element where we base a varying degree of levels that result in punishment. This will make punishments free and fair when regards to RO's. If an user did something as small as this, leinancy should be granted and accepted. This is not something that should be treated nicely.

Second, I do think Lunatic had good points. We need clear violations and laying out. Certain users have gotten away with multiple RO violation and let off the hook with a hard warn when a more egregious acts of violation.

I propose we make change versus blindly accepting the status quo.
--------------
There has been some overall views that were made by people. I agree with Lunatic on a lot of things, but my ban should not be implemented based off (my activeness in mafia). It should be based off of the action itself. 

To people saying justice was done, I am not saying that justice was not done and I didn't deserve it, but the length was extremely weird. 

To Speed. There was never a warning
--------------------
I also want to clarify that I think moderation has done a splendid job, but I think this is an improvement that needs to be discussed, and I need to address it first to a community versus the other mods involved.

This is my full response
Regards,Supa
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Don't kiss their ass. It is bullshit what they did to you and it was a sign of their incompetence 
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@David
I also think moderation does a good job, from what I have seen. I think this is the only case I have seen where I have really had to scratch my head on why the ban was so lengthy. Regardless, I believe virt is the one responsible for the ban, so he is who I am most looking forward to seeing respond to this.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I can’t really evaluate without the details but I’m not sure how any administration can credibly restrain a public reply to a public comment. 
Zaradi
Debates: 4
Zaradi
Ah, online website drama. How I didn't miss this.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
I haven’t been following this at all but the entire concept of restraining orders on a small debate site is kind of ridiculous and should only be used in extreme circumstances if at all. I don’t know TheRealNihilist at all (unless he once went by a different name) and I don’t know Supa very well but I know him well enough to know that he’s a reasonable person. I don’t see the justification for why we should assume that the two can’t act like adults to the extent that the mere act of them posting, accidentally, in the same thread warrants a seven day ban. 

Blind legalism is dumb even in a country of 300 million people, it’s beyond idiotic on a site with a few dozen members. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Zaradi
You'll love it more with DART Premium 

Zaradi
Debates: 4
Zaradi
-->
@Vader
Already did the premium. Keep up with the times :p
Vader
Vader
-->
@Zaradi
DART Platinum
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Vader
Do you support the necklacing of moderation, in honor of Mandela?
Vader
Vader
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Torture is never the way to solve your problems. I preach Civil Disobedience, not violence. The moderators are good people and do not deserve necklacing, but an action they did must be said and I am here to preach
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
not a single mod had responded
David
Debates: 91
David
Hi Supa. First, to clear up some confusion for other people, I understand that it was a mistake, which is why your ban was 7-days and not longer. A violation of an RO is still a violation of an RO. Moreover, it came at a point of high tension between you and another user. In hindsight, I think I probably should have done a 3-day ban.

There has been some overall views that were made by people. I agree with Lunatic on a lot of things, but my ban should not be implemented based off (my activeness in mafia). It should be based off of the action itself. 
And herein lies the problem. The RO clearly stated that any violation of the said RO would result in a temp-ban. Based on the wording of the RO and your actions, I had no choice but to implement a temporary ban.

I'm open to suggestions on moving forward. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@David
Thank you for the response!
I think I probably should have done a 3-day ban.
I think this would be a fair agreement. And again, this isn't a nab at anyone, but an opportunity to grow to establish a better foundation. The focus is more to have influx bans based on a type of RO violation and how we can improve on this
A violation of an RO is still a violation of an RO.
I do concede to the fact that an RO violation was an RO violation. I do agree it was a violation and do not want defense for that violation from anyone that wants to seek it.
 Moreover, it came at a point of high tension between you and another user
It wasn't "high tension" for me at least, but it was causing some deterrence which an RO is justifiable
The RO clearly stated that any violation of the said RO would result in a temp-ban
I was full aware, but my debate is simply not with the RO itself, but moving forward the crafting of how we should move forward and ban offenses
I had no choice but to implement a temporary ban.
Hence why I am not complaining about the ban itself, but the length

----
Also to be clear, Lunatic and Vaarka argued I be banned because I am active in mafia and am a Discord Mod. I disagree with these.

Thank you for the response
David
David
-->
@Vader
Hence why I am not complaining about the ban itself, but the length

----
Also to be clear, Lunatic and Vaarka argued I be banned because I am active in mafia and am a Discord Mod. I disagree with these.
Part of the reason that it was a 7-day ban is that you are basically the head of the discord moderation and have some say in the moderation chat room. 

David
David
-->
@oromagi
I can’t really evaluate without the details but I’m not sure how any administration can credibly restrain a public reply to a public comment. 
Hi Orogami, thanks so much for your feedback!

Bsh and I set this precedence more than a year ago. The COC clearly states:

An RO prohibits two or members from communicating with and/or about one another and may apply to one or more means of communication. Moderation shall use ROs to prevent patterns of hostile relations among users from flaring up or worsening. An RO may have a set end date or may be indefinite. An RO may be issued by either the deputy mod or chief mod.

If two users have an RO between them, then this applies in both the public and private parts of the site. Otherwise, an RO is basically useless. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
“The greatest glory in living is not in falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Firstly it is never falling because 'falling' is obviously not glorious.

Secondly, that was not a Mandela saying itself but an ancient Japanese adage that reads in English simply as 'fall seven times, stand up eight!'

Thirdly, the better thing to quote is the Bruce Lee version 'pray not for an easy life, but the strength to endure a difficult one.' a similar quote came from Kennedy speeches and it's a disputed who said it first but both actually got it from the Bible:

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
- Romans 5:3-5

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
to be clear, I am an avid fan of Nelson Mandela, but that quote was not really his own to make.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@David
I understand that ROs are now avaliable upon request, which I feel is a step in the right direction, but is it still the case that ROs can me put in place by mods between two users when neither requested one?

If so was this the case with this particular RO?
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
Fair enough. I used his model of quote
Vader
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
It was suggested and I agreed to it because of obvious reasons. I followed it effectively until it
Vader
Vader
-->
@David
Fair enough for my end, but I am saying for the average user in general and making a suggestion