Total: 56
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
Does anybody else think that it will be possible for us to gain an indefinite lifespan in our lifetime? I am doing this debate on it https://www.debateart.com/debates/1719/radical-life-extension-is-possible-in-our-lifetime
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
It feels soon, but I would say unlikely to be indefinite within our lifetime. There will be complications for the first generation trying whatever new technologies arise; which is not to say lives won't begin to be massively prolonged.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Singularity
Why would anyone want indefinite life on Earth?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Indefinite life means people can never die. This means that crimes will go up and many other things knowing they can live infinitely 
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
Population would go way up which wouldn't be that good for managing resources. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Vader
Invincible and indefinite are 2 different things. I think the average lifespan in a universe where everything stays the same is probably 200 years old, due to things like suicide, murder, natural disasters, accidents etc. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Which is why I think colonizing space is very important 

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Barney
My main concern is the psychological implications of a 200 year old brain
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Singularity
Highly doubt that will happen in our lifetimes.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Sounds like a good debate topic for you than.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Indefinite life is no good unless the aging process is completely halted.

Just look at how decrepit and useless centenarians are.

As neither the understanding nor the ability are currently available, it is therefore unlikely to happen anytime soon.

All we can hope for are new therapies that can prolong the agony and decline into decrepitude for just a little longer, consequently  increasing the burden on an already overstretched society and environment.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Singularity
Finite = integrity

Infinite = lack of integrity

Indefinite = not yet defined yet finite

Since other less complex animals can live hundreds of years, some whales { mammal like human } live 200 years or more

I believe 120 years is the maximum average humans { most complex biologic } can attain. I base this belief on the maximum number of indenticl right-triangles that can exist on surface of the icosa{20}hedron.  This is the finite maximum for any polyhedron curved or Euclidean.

..." 459.02 The 15 great circles of the icosahedron can be foldedinto multibow ties offour tetrahedra each. Four times 15 equals 60, whichis half the number of triangles on thesphere. Sixty additional triangles inadvertently appear,revealing the 120 identical sphericaltriangles which are the maximum number of like unitswhich may be used to subdivide thesphere. "....

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Singularity
An addendum to #12

..." Also known as the Arctic whale, the bowhead is by far the longest living mammal on Earth. Some bowhead whales have been found with the tips of ivory spears still lodged in their flesh from failed attempts by whalers 200 years ago. The oldest known bowhead whale was at least 211 years old.May 10, 2011 "...

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@zedvictor4
What in the world would make you think that increasing the human life span means people would have more decrepit years instead bbn of more healthy years
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
What in the World makes you think that it wouldn't.

Wishful thinking perhaps.

So how are you going to prevent aging?

The span of life that you refer to, goes from birth to death with an inevitable process in between.

As things stand, prolonging life only means extending the latter stages, rather than increasing the primary stages.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@zedvictor4
It doesn't make any sense that life would be extended by lengthening how long we keep a person from dying when they are in the process of dying. It makes more sense that it would be accomplished by delaying the affects of aging
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Isn't delaying the effects of ageing just the same as lengthening the process of dying.

What you would be hoping to do I suppose, is to stay youthful for longer and the only way that I can see to achieve this whilst not incurring a similarly lengthy demise, would be to stop the ageing process altogether.

How do you think this might be achieved within your lifetime?
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@zedvictor4
only if you define dying as being alive. If you are saying we start dying as soon as we are born than I can see the argument that you are extending the dying process. As far as claiming that life extension would just extend how long somebody stays alive on their death bed, I think is silly
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I want to live forever.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Alec
I think Jesus can help you with that. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@Singularity
I meant on Earth because I'm scared of the afterlife because I might go to hell.  Odds aren't in my favor.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Alec
You're probably just being hard on yourself
Alec
Alec
-->
@Singularity
It's biblical statistics.  The bible says most people are going to hell in Mathew 7:13-14.  It's why I prefer life on Earth; I'm safe here.
Singularity
Singularity
I didn't realize you were most people.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Singularity
I think Jesus can help you with that.
Better chance with black hole technologies i.e  2D holographic scenarios wherein occupied space  patterning { info/patterns/shape } never die ergo all that has ever existed or will exist, exist as the 2D patterning of our  physical/reality/energy/frequencies of Observed Time exists.

See this LINK for 2D surface of expression via geometry of the root/basic/primary set of 87 primary great circles and planes and potential tori of a black holes existences.

Primary because they are based on the root/basic polyhedra of Universe, from which all must stem from;

1} 3-fold tetra{4}hedron,

2} 4-fold cubo{6]-octa{8}hedron aka Vector Equlibrium { VE }, and,

3} 5{ phi }-fold icosa{20}hedron.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What many people dont realize is how connected the 4-fold VE --that contains the 3-fold tetrahedron--- and the 5-fold icosahedron are too each other.

1} The spherical VEs surface area  is equal to to the total area of the four hexagons that define the spherical VE, and a regular/symmetrical and circular sine-wave is created by each of the hexagons radii. See LINK

2} the spherical icosahedron also has bisecting hexagonal planes but their a complex surface sine-wave and do not involve radii. See this link

If we have a icosahedron with the same diameter as the VE, then it is my assertion, that any six --of overlapping/shared set of six--- complexedly bisecting areas are equal  to some aspect of the icosahedrons surface area.  Sorry I dont have the math on this figured out yet.  It is a relatively new idea Ive had since viewing Leonard Susskinds "the world as a hologram" video. LINK

......................................Space( Time *) i (* Time )Space.........................................

.....................right........................(   (   (  )   )...................left.........................

5-fold contains 4-fold and 4-fold contains 3-fold and 3-fold contains 2-fold.

5-fold > 4-fold > 3-fold > 2-fold we begin with the greatest primary set of regular/symmetrical and that is the icosahedron and it contains all else.

To see how the 5-fold specifically contains the 4-fold see this LINK in case you have any doubts.

If we involve my numerical  based inverting-outverting tori, then begin to envision a very complex black hole that connects the inside to the outside with resultant sine-wave patterning to every nodal event on surface of black hole i.e, a direct 1 to 1 relationship from internal to surface and that includes Dark Energy into the wholistic mix.

Singularity
Singularity
I'm not familiar with sacred geometry or anything.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Singularity
I'm not familiar with sacred geometry or anything.
I'm not familiar with " scared geometry " either.   

I suppose all geometry, numbers, lions, tigers, trees, black holes  etc are sacred. I dunno.

If some thing exists as an occupied space, or metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept, I guess it can be considered "sacred". 

Yeah sure why not.  All that exists is sacred. However, I dont know what the definition of " sacred " is. 

The root is maybe sac? Our balls hang in a sack.  We get our grocerys in a sack. I took a sack lunch to school on many occasions.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@ebuc
Lol, I can live with that
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Singularity
Death is death.

And dying is being alive.

And currently the only certainty you have after birth is death.

And also currently, increasing life span only means extending the latter stages of existence.

The alternative would mean stopping the genomic clock altogether.

And I doubt that it will be possible to do that in your lifetime.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@zedvictor4
Well dying can only occur if you are alive, but I wouldn't use it as a synonym any more than I would using eating as a synonym for living. 

Increasing lifespan does not only mean increasing the later years of life. We have increased the human health span as well. Ome example is testosterone replacement therapy. To think that living longer means we can't also live more fit and healthy with advancing age, is quite silly.

To say that extending how long somebody stays in a decrepit body is not worth it is probably just as silly. There are a lot of happy healthy elderly people, and it is quite cruel to say they should die sooner. Because their bodies are capable of less than when they were younger. 

I think your last sentence is the real insight into your psychology though. Thinking death is inevitable causes you to cope with this by chalking it up to false hope and saying living longer is not worth it anywa