Hypocritical Liberals

Author: Vader

Total: 30
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
A recent Netflix series has mocked Jesus and made him about be a sinner, (gay, drug dealer, etc). This is absolutely horrendous ideology and depiction of Jesus Christ, yet if I made fun of Allah or Mohhamad, I would be attacked and banned for. The hypocrisy behind Liberals is maddening. All religions should be treated with respect or appropriated to same amount of mockery and Jesus is
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Vader
What is the series?

Also, we don't make bomb threats when they mock Jesus, so it is safer.
Vader
Vader
-->
@bmdrocks21
Ha.

Don't know the name of it because I don't watch the make fun of religion crap
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Vader
Don't know the name of it because I don't watch the make fun of religion crap
So your argument is that a thing exists, but you have no idea what the name is and didn't watch it? that seems like a silly argument. 

Vader
Vader
-->
@HistoryBuff
My religion being made fun of is not something I enjoy watching at leisure.
Vader
Vader
-->
@HistoryBuff
Plot summaries are a thing too

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Vader
My religion being made fun of is not something I enjoy watching at leisure.
you don't know what the name is and didn't see it. What is the point of talking about it when you clearly don't really know anything about it?

Vader
Vader
-->
@HistoryBuff
It goes by different names every time.

Because I know what it is about, and it is unfunny and insults they way Jesus was created. it isn't South Park making it funny type humor. Straight insults
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
Looked it up.

Called "The First Temptation of Christ".

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Vader
A recent Netflix series has mocked Jesus and made him about be a sinner, (gay, drug dealer, etc). This is absolutely horrendous ideology and depiction of Jesus Christ, yet if I made fun of Allah or Mohhamad, I would be attacked and banned for. The hypocrisy behind Liberals is maddening. All religions should be treated with respect or appropriated to same amount of mockery and Jesus is

You sound surprised. But you shouldn't be.

The left wing libtards belive it is open season when it comes to Christianity and Christians.. You will never be called an " christianophobe" when questioning and scrutinizing Christianity. Just look at the religion forum here.

I question and scrutinize Christianity more often than I do Islam at a rate of at least  5 to 1 and am called all kinds of names and have had all kinds of accusations leveled against me on all of the threads I have started concerning Islam. But Christianity doesn't seem a problem.

See this thread:

Am I A Christianophobe?

There are many here who are quick to label anyone criticizing Islam, the quran and muslims  as islamophobic and racists bigots.  But I have yet to be labeled an Christianophobic racist  bigot with an irrational and uncontrollable fear or dread  (which is the correct definition of a phobic person) when I  criticise Christianity / Christians for believing much of the superstitious nonsense that they have been taught. And no mention of me spreading fear and \hatred.
Or when I have criticised  The New Testament for its half truths, false stories, its enigmatic and ambiguous verses and for calling it extremely flawed. 

I haven't been called a Christianophobia racist bigot when I have criticised the Old Testament  when calling it a war book where mankind is controlled by a warmongering psychotic and schizophrenic jealous  god and his human cohorts and also for its superstitious nonsense. Or have I been accused of spreading hatred and fear although I have been accused of some kind of being on some kind of "radicalisation" mission.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Vader
Its just another in a line of idiots trying to ride the coattails of Jesus to turn a buck.

They have no talent, do they wait till someone does something notable and then say something scandalous about them to get notoriety they can change into dollars.

They will fall into obscurity just like the others before them. Who remembers "Jesus Christ: Superstar!" now?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
At the end of the proverbial day, social reality for the majority of people (Christians included) is far more about turning a buck than it is about religion.

And making a fast buck is fair game for Liberals and Conservatives alike. There's no moral high ground to be had.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
I can see how things like that are disrespectful. The difference is whose culture you are trashing. I was born and raised in a christian household. I went to church every week. I have seen how terrible Christianity is. I have every right to trash my culture and religion if I want to. 

But attacking the culture and religion of other people is where you run into problems. It's like black rappers being allowed to say the N word but white people can't. They can disparage their own group, you can't.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
At the end of the proverbial day, social reality for the majority of people (Christians included) is far more about turning a buck than it is about religion.
And you know this how? It seems to me you are telling us your personal belief, not an empirical fact.

And your personal beliefs are informed by the anti-theist bubble in which you live.

And making a fast buck is fair game for Liberals and Conservatives alike. There's no moral high ground to be had.
Sure there is. There is nothing necessarily wrong in making a buck, fast or slow. But feeding off the popularity of others to make a buck by insulting the popular is moral low ground.
ethang5
ethang5
-->@HistoryBuff

I have every right to trash my culture and religion if I want to. 
You have the freedom, not the right.

I have seen how terrible Christianity is.
Your perception of your subjective experience is not the history of Christianity.

But these wing-nuts making the Netflix show are not trying to make a statement about the evils of Christianity or right any perceived wrong.

They want viewers, and the easy low road is to pick something popular, something cherished, and insult it.

Behavior like that diminishes our society.

The OP points out, correctly, that liberals will condemn a similar depiction of Islam as islamo, and homo, phobic, but will defend the producers if the target is Christianity.

He calls that hypocrisy. He is correct.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Hypocritical Liberals and Hypocritical Conservatives alike.

And they looked from Pig to man and from Man to Pig etc.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Unpopular ideas can be silenced, and inconvenient facts kept dark, without the need for any official ban, not because the Government intervened but because of a general tacit agreement that ‘it wouldn’t do’ to mention that particular fact.

So far as the daily newspapers go, this is easy to understand. The American press is extremely liberal, and most of it is owned by wealthy men who have every motive to be dishonest on certain important topics.

But the same kind of veiled censorship also operates in books and periodicals, as well as in plays, films and radio. At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking progressives will accept without question.

It is not exactly forbidden to say this, that or the other, but it is ‘not done’ to say it. Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself cancelled with surprising effectiveness.

A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never given a fair hearing, either in the fake news media, or in the highbrow periodicals.

Orwell could have been writing about 21st century America.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ethang5
as usual Ethang. I think you are nuts and have no interest in engaging with you. 
ethang5
ethang5
Then don't HB. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

I will decide what I do. You do the same for you. I don't think you're nuts, you're something worse. You're dishonest.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Exactly.

How extreme does Liberal have to be before it becomes Conservative?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
The Overton window isn't controlled by the people anymore.

Outrage is now simply a tradeable commodity sold to the highest bidder.
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Vader
I'd like to go over some of what you said, and I don't wholly disagree with you. I think you may be right in a way that Netflix is left leaning and they defend groups that the left tends to side with and are okay with poking fun of groups that the right tends to side with. You could say this is unfair, and sure, there is some unfairness to it. I think, though, that the title of this post "Hypocritical Liberals" is not very apt here and didn't require a lot of thought since these are more complex phenomenons that just liberal hypocrisy.

1. I think white american atheists often have qualms with Christians because they've often previously been (1) Christians themselves, and have faced lots of calls for damnation and plenty of persecution by Christians in and outside of their family for leaving the religion. This happens with all religions but Christianity is still more popular than any other religion in the U.S. despite it's decline. 

2. It could very well be possible that what we constitute as offensive and inoffensive in first world cultural spheres is largely based on historical context, and that's something that conservatives want to change. For a long time in our country, immigrants, African-Americans, women, non-heterosexuals, and other groups have been treated to the very short end of a very long stick, and this stick is usually pulled away by white Christian guys. Thus, we generally see it as more okay to make fun of White Christian guys than minorities. White Christian guys simply don't face the same threats that minorities do. We're not too fair to Muslim's either, given Trump's proposed ban on exclusively Muslim countries and him previously expressing a want to ban Muslims from the U.S. for a time, and I think Trump has transferred his distaste for Muslims into the Conservative public. Thus, making jokes about Islam is generally regarded as offensive. 

Username
Username
-->
@Vader
I'm also curious how you would want to remedy this. Should no one say offensive things about other groups ever or should it all be fair play?
Vader
Vader
-->
@Username
I'm also curious how you would want to remedy this. Should no one say offensive things about other groups ever or should it all be fair play?
I am not calling for a PC culture. If we mock other religions, I should be allowed to mock Islam and various other religions like they mock Christianity and call Mohammed, "Crazy Mohammed"

Vader
Vader
-->
@Username
1. I think white american atheists often have qualms with Christians because they've often previously been (1) Christians themselves, and have faced lots of calls for damnation and plenty of persecution by Christians in and outside of their family for leaving the religion. This happens with all religions but Christianity is still more popular than any other religion in the U.S. despite it's decline. 
Then why is Christianity to blame. Christianity calls for love and peace for all, especially Orthodoxy. It is the parents fault for spreading a hateful environment and focusing it on Christianity. There anger should be with their parents, not on Jesus themselves.

2. It could very well be possible that what we constitute as offensive and inoffensive in first world cultural spheres is largely based on historical context, and that's something that conservatives want to change. For a long time in our country, immigrants, African-Americans, women, non-heterosexuals, and other groups have been treated to the very short end of a very long stick, and this stick is usually pulled away by white Christian guys. Thus, we generally see it as more okay to make fun of White Christian guys than minorities. White Christian guys simply don't face the same threats that minorities do. We're not too fair to Muslim's either, given Trump's proposed ban on exclusively Muslim countries and him previously expressing a want to ban Muslims from the U.S. for a time, and I think Trump has transferred his distaste for Muslims into the Conservative public. Thus, making jokes about Islam is generally regarded as offensive. 
True equality means we can make fun of every race or religion and have it equally valued and treated versus getting mad at other races making jokes about other races
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
fuck Netflix
Username
Username
-->
@Vader
I am not calling for a PC culture. If we mock other religions, I should be allowed to mock Islam and various other religions like they mock Christianity and call Mohammed, "Crazy Mohammed"

Okay, but here you said: 

This is absolutely horrendous ideology and depiction of Jesus Christ,
which gives me the impression that this offends you. Is it only offensive because you can't do it to others? I didn't get that impression from your original post. 

Then why is Christianity to blame. Christianity calls for love and peace for all, especially Orthodoxy. It is the parents fault for spreading a hateful environment and focusing it on Christianity. There anger should be with their parents, not on Jesus themselves.
We're moving the goalposts here. I'm suggesting to you that there are different reasons for people mocking Christianity than simply those hypocritical liberals. Often, when Person A is being treated poorly by Person B, Person A will often reflect their issues with not just Person B, but what Person B stood for when he treated Person A poorly. It's a human psychological phenomenon that I notice a lot. If I consistently get into car crashes as a kid due to the irresponsible driving of my parents, I'm likely going to be wary of driving as an adult, not just driving with my parents. 

I'd also dispute that Christian doctrine consistently calls for love and peace for all. Annihilationism (1) and Universal Reconciliation (2) which are very dominant in Christianity both teach that sinners will enter some sort of hell or purgatory. The Bible also is not so nice to the unbelievers. (3)

True equality means we can make fun of every race or religion and have it equally valued and treated versus getting mad at other races making jokes about other races

I feel as if this just doesn't matter so much. When white Christian males discriminate against minority groups for years and years they're going to get some shit for it. The people making these white jokes are often white themselves. There will be no genocide or systematic deportation against whites. There are larger issues present in America.  

Also I'd point out similar inconsistencies in the Conservative circles - often, Conservatives (especially the MAGA people) will constantly speak about the violent sections of the Qur'an, will call Mohammed a child rapist etc.; but will always be the first to get triggered about a joke against white Christian men. If you're convinced that the jokes made against white Christian guys are very important and unjustified then I'd boil it down to identity politics from there, which occur on both sides; everyone likes to make jokes about the other side but hates to hear it about their own side. 

Vader
Vader
-->
@Username
which gives me the impression that this offends you. Is it only offensive because you can't do it to others? I didn't get that impression from your original post. 
Not true. If other religions can call people out for mocking their religion, I should be able to call out someone else doing it? Or is that not true? Are we the root cause of evil and hate in America?
We're moving the goalposts here. I'm suggesting to you that there are different reasons for people mocking Christianity than simply those hypocritical liberals. Often, when Person A is being treated poorly by Person B, Person A will often reflect their issues with not just Person B, but what Person B stood for when he treated Person A poorly. It's a human psychological phenomenon that I notice a lot. If I consistently get into car crashes as a kid due to the irresponsible driving of my parents, I'm likely going to be wary of driving as an adult, not just driving with my parents. 
That is the person's problem, not the religion. Then that person is an idiot. That person is not a follower of Christianity if they attack you. Maybe Muslim, because Muslims suggest violence for non believers.
I'd also dispute that Christian doctrine consistently calls for love and peace for all. Annihilationism (1) and Universal Reconciliation (2) which are very dominant in Christianity both teach that sinners will enter some sort of hell or purgatory. The Bible also is not so nice to the unbelievers. (3)
In the bible, if you confess the sins that you committed, you are relieved from sin. Sinners do go to hell, but they can be relieved from the damnation and sin. And the Bible is nicer to unbelievers than the Quran is. The Quran justifies murder. Corrupt politicians that are Christian justify murder,
I feel as if this just doesn't matter so much. When white Christian males discriminate against minority groups for years and years they're going to get some shit for it. The people making these white jokes are often white themselves. There will be no genocide or systematic deportation against whites. There are larger issues present in America.  
I vouch for making fun of everyone without an regard to racism. That is the entire point of what I am saying. 
Conservatives (especially the MAGA people) will constantly speak about the violent sections of the Qur'an, will call Mohammed a child rapist etc.; but will always be the first to get triggered about a joke against white Christian men
The Quran speaks for itself. Rape is a sin in the eyes of a Christian and he did not confess to it, hence the religion justifies sin
Username
Username
-->
@Vader
That is the person's problem, not the religion. Then that person is an idiot. That person is not a follower of Christianity if they attack you.

Which person?

The Bible is far from peaceful. I'm religious as well, but there are certain things in the Bible I cannot reconcile with my own ideas of peace and equality. The leaps and bounds people make to defend our 2,000 year old book from any charges of violence while demonizing the Qur'an is nothing short of mental gymnastics. Here are some biblical quotes:

"And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them, But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

If a man has sex with an animal, he must be put to death, and the animal must be killed. Leviticus 20:15 NLT"

"You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT"

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT"

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18"

"He [Josiah] executed the priests of the pagan shrines on their own altars, and he burned human bones on the altars to desecrate them.... He did this in obedience to all the laws written in the scroll that Hilkiah the priest had found in the LORD's Temple. Never before had there been a king like Josiah, who turned to the LORD with all his heart and soul and strength, obeying all the laws of Moses. And there has never been a king like him since. 2 Kings 23:20-25 NLT"

In the bible, if you confess the sins that you committed, you are relieved from sin. Sinners do go to hell, but they can be relieved from the damnation and sin. And the Bible is nicer to unbelievers than the Quran is. The Quran justifies murder. Corrupt politicians that are Christian justify murder,

So unbelievers get to enjoy the fiery flames of hell unless they repent? But we're all frustrated because atheists make fun of Christians sometimes?

I vouch for making fun of everyone without an regard to racism. That is the entire point of what I am saying.

You completely miss my point - true joke equality not going to happen until the racial divide in America is reconciled, and it's really not a big deal. Also KEEP IN MIND what I said about identity politics here - both sides are willing to disparage other beliefs and groups but get offended when you disparage theirs. It's not just liberals.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Christians in the west don't get it like we in The Orthodox Church do, but for thousands of years and even now we have constantly been under persecution. 

It's weird. Heretical Christianity somehow manages to persecute us and then get us blamed for what THEY ARE DOING.

I dare say we are the most persecuted people on Earth. Is that not to be expected? Christ said it would be this way.

But the real kicker is how the protestants and evangelicals hate us for reminding them of Rome, while at the same time they are eager to claim our martyrs.