Who Killed The "giant" Goliath ?

Author: Stephen

Total: 46
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen

Who Killed The "giant" Goliath ?

1 Samuel 17:50 King James Version (KJV)
50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

2 Samuel 21:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

I ask those interested to check these verses so to witness that I haven't made them up (as I am often accused by one fawning religious sycophant ) and that they are from the scripture.

This isn't the only shortfall in this story. For instance, one the one hand we are led  to believe that a lowly shepherd boy the youngest of 7 killed a "giant". The "boy" it is said,  while watching over his flock, whiled away his time playing sweet, beautiful soft music on a lyre,   i.e. a bit of a mummies boy pansie, when in reality, he was already a warrior if the scriptures are to be believed.

Anyway, this story is slightly confusing and no doubt our biblical theist scholars will attempt to explain the question away by rewriting the pertinent verses if not the whole saga, and telling us all we got it all wrong and don't understand what we have been reading.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; 

And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, 

This isn't the only shortfall in this story.
You showed no shortfall goober.

David killed Goliath and Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath. Where's the shortfall?

we are led  to believe that a lowly shepherd boy the youngest of 7 killed a "giant".
Something tells me Jethro doesn't know what a slingshot is.

And this "Giant" how tall was he? Do you know?

this story is slightly confusing...
Why? David killed Goliath and Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath. What's confusing about that?

and no doubt our biblical theist scholars will attempt to explain the question away
What question? The explanation is in the text shemp.

..by rewriting the pertinent verses if not the whole saga,
I just explained the dumbness of your  question without rewriting anything.

...we got it all wrong and don't understand what we have been reading.
Do you? Well, you seem to not know the difference between Goliath and brother of Goliath.

Your question indicates you don't understand what you've been reading. But that is typical for you.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ethang5
Do you? Well, you seem to not know the difference between Goliath and brother of Goliath.

Lol this is where obsession will lead you. 
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
This isn't the only shortfall in this story. For instance, one the one hand we are led  to believe that a lowly shepherd boy the youngest of 7 killed a "giant". The "boy" it is said,  while watching over his flock, whiled away his time playing sweet, beautiful soft music on a lyre,   i.e. a bit of a mummies boy pansie, when in reality, he was already a warrior if the scriptures are to be believed.
Actually, if you had read the whole chapter, you would have noticed that David was anything but a "mummies boy." 

34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep sheep for his father. And when there came a lion, or a bear, and took a lamb from the flock, 35 I went after him and struck him and delivered it out of his mouth. And if he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him. 36 Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God.”
1 Samuel 17:34-36 (ESV)
He was already a fighter. Furthermore, slings were a recognized and lethal weapon of war. There is absolutely nothing confusing about this story.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SirAnonymous
Actually, if you had read the whole chapter, you would have noticed that David was anything but a "mummies boy." 
I bet he hasn't read a single word from that book. He takes his clunkers off an atheist website and copy pasta them here.

Because of his poor reading comprehension, one never knows what he's understanding as he reads. The text could say the sky is blue, and our genius could come away thinking about electric turtles.

On a side note, one of the best sermons I ever heard was on the 5 stones David picked up as he approached Goliath. Wish I could find that sermon again.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
This isn't the only shortfall in this story.
You showed no shortfall goober. ....David killed Goliath and Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath. Where's the shortfall?

2 Samuel 21:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

Ok. so your happy that the verse above  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is correct? The verse above is the exact same verse that I have posted in post one above, 2 Samuel 21:19 King James Version

Ok. I thought you would jump on that Popoff and I am so glad you did. So now you can explain this to those reading here>>

2 Samuel 21:19 English Standard Version (ESV)
19 And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, the Bethlehemite, struck down Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

In the above there isn't even a mention of a "brother of Goliath" . The exact verse - minus "the brother of" - can be found in other text which appear to agree on the above text  for instance: 

NIV 1984: "In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver’s rod."

and

NASB: "There was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam."

I suppose now that you are going to tell us all that it was simply a biblical error by the gospel writer ( without any evidence) or an error on behalf of the translator (without evidence).  Or are you going to plumb for  the - ' there were  two giants named Goliath ' bullshit also without evidence.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous

And if you had read the whole of my post you would see that I agree with you. Here it is again for the ignorant and the blind>>>

FROM POST 1 above.

""For instance, one the one hand we are led  to believe that a lowly shepherd boy the youngest of 7 killed a "giant". The "boy" it is said,  while watching over his flock, whiled away his time playing sweet, beautiful soft music on a lyre,   i.e. a bit of a mummies boy pansie,
when in reality, he was already a warrior if the scriptures are to be believed"".

Do you see that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.     I have read that "the boy" David was already “amighty valiant man” and “a man of war” who was “prudent in matters” and had already "slain a bear and a lion" himself .  my point is, -  this is what we are led to believe UNLESS WE READ the scriptures FOR OURSELVES. 

Yes I have read much about this god chosen King who sent a man away to war  so he could slip into the mans  wife. Horrid little fkr really, wasn't he? 

14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. 15 In it he wrote, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”2 Samuel 11:14-15

Like father like chosen, I suppose.

He died of some kind of ancient STD, didn't he?

5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.
6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

That'll teach the fkr , won't it.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Goliath was a brave beast who stood up to God, David was the cowered who had the fight rigged for him.

The story is told as if Goliath stood a chance and that it was David taking the risk but it's the total opposite way around. Goliath overcame many obstacles, with God hating him all along. That is real defiance and impressive strategic acumen.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
And if you had read the whole of my post you would see that I agree with you.
Lie. You chose phrases like,
"on the one hand we are led  to believe...that a lowly shepherd boy .... killed a "giant", to give the impression that the story was not credible.

my point is, -  this is what we are led to believe UNLESS WE READ the scriptures FOR OURSELVES. 
Is it not the same scripture that calls him "a mighty valiant man” and “a man of war” who was “prudent in matters” and had already "slain a bear and a lion" himself?

So now you can explain this to those reading here.
I'll explain it to you, since you're one obviously confused.

I suppose now that you are going to...
Shut up and stop supposing. It is your silly assumptions that make you keep shaming yourself publicly. Ask your question, and then shut up and listen.

Here is what the ESV says…
1st Samuel 17:50 - So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. There was no sword in the hand of David.

Here is what the NASB says…
1st Samuel 17:50 – Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand.

Here is what the NIV says...
1st Samuel 17:50 - So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

So all four bible versions agree that David killed Goliath with a slingshot. That is the answer to your question. You may now start pretending you don't see it.

Now let me tell you where your ignorance has triped you up. It will be embarrassing for you, but ridding yourself of ignorance is worth it.

In the above there isn't even a mention of a "brother of Goliath"
So what? 1st and 2nd Samuel are separate books written years apart. 1st Samuel mentions the height of Goliath, 2nd Samuel doesn't. The two stories need not mention every tidbit that is mentioned in  the other.

By the time of 2nd Samuel, the David and Goliath story was well known, so the author was giving an overview of all the wars of that period, not a detail account of each one.

The exact verse - minus "the brother of" - can be found in other text which appear to agree on the above text  for instance:
Yes, all the versions agree. Is that not how it should be?

are you going to plumb for  the - ' there were  two giants named Goliath ' bullshit also without evidence.
How can you be so ignorant and yet so militant? It's fascinating.

There were 4 goliaths actually, not 2. And if you had read the texts instead of cutting and pasting from a website like a biased dweeb, you wouldn't be this clueless.

2nd Samuel 21:18
2nd Goliath
War against - Philistines
War location – Gob
Hero – Sibbecai the Hushathite
Villain – Saph, descendant of Rapha

2nd Samuel 21:19
3rd Goliath
War location – Gob
Hero – Elhanan, son of Jaare-Oregim, of Bethlehem
Villain – Goliath the Gittite

2nd Samuel 21:20
4th Goliath
War location – Gath
Hero – Jonathan, son of Shimeah, and David’s brother
Villain – Goliath the Gittite

And the evidence for this is in the text.

2nd Samuel 21:22 - These FOUR were the descendants of Rapha in Gath, and they fell at the hands of David and his men.

See? Either you didn't read the passages, or your reading comprehension is just piss poor. Or you're lying again.

You saw the word Goliath, and again immediately and stupidly assumed it was the same person, and ran squeaking your head off like a clueless ignorant.

Are you a sadist?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
So all four bible versions agree that David killedGoliath with a slingshot. That is the answer to your question.

And there are those bibles that do not. You haven't explained why some say one thing and others say different, have you Popoff ?For instance why do so many bibles leave out the words - ""the brother of" as I have shown above. 

You may now start pretending you don't see it.

Oh I see it, silly.  It was me after all who posted what the KJV says wasn't it?  Here in case you didn't see it at post one. It agrees with those bibles you have posted.  LOOK POST ONE ABOVE>>>

1 Samuel 17:50 King James Version (KJV)
50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him;but there was no sword in the hand of David.

So is all you have done is repeat and quoted what I and a  4 other bibles agree on, that David Killed Goliath. Well done Popoff,

Now look at this Popoff, you say:

1st Samuel 17:50 – Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand.

But I can tell you  that particular bible also says

Sam 2

NASB: "There was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam."

You have also quoted;

Here is what the NIV says...
1st Samuel 17:50 - So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

But again, the same FKN bible that you quote above also says:

Sam 2

NIV : "In another battle with the Philistine sat Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod."

So get you act together Popoff, you have some serious explaining to do. 

Now get these down your neck.

Once again there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob,and Elhanan son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath of Gath. The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

There was still another battle with the Philistines at Gob. Asoldier named Elhanan killed Goliath from Gath, whose spear shaft was like a weaver's beam. Elhanan's father was Jari from Bethlehem.

There was another battle with the Philistines at Gob, and Elhanan son of Jair from Bethlehem killed Goliath from Gath,whose spear had a shaft as thick as the bar on a weaver's loom.

Once again there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob,and Elhanan son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killedGoliath the Gittite. The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

In yet another battle at Gob, Jaare-oregim theBethlehemite'sson Elhanan killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear resembled that of a weaver's beam.

When more fighting broke out with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan, son of Jaare Oregim from Bethlehem, killed Goliath of Gath. (The shaft ofGoliath's spear was like a beam used by weavers.)

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath theGittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.

And there was another war in Gob with the Philistines where Elhanan, the son of Jaareoregim of Bethlehem, slew Goliath,the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was a battle in Rom with thePhilistines; and Eleanan son of Ariorgim the Bethleemite slew Goliath theGittite; and the staff of his spear was as a weaver's beam.

And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines,in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slewGoliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again a battle at Gob with thePhilistines; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, a Bethlehemite, smoteGoliaththe Gittite; now the shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

There was again war with the Philistines at Gob;and Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite's brother, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

Do you see that Popoff.  

And you tell me I am confused. I should think anyone but complete and utter cretinous moron would be confused , especially if he hadn't even bothered to  actually compare verse and bibles.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Do you see that Popoff.  
I do Cletus.

And you tell me I am confused.
You are. You just don't know it yet.

I should think anyone but complete and utter cretinous moron would be confused,
Well, I don't know if you're cretinous.

...especially if he hadn't even bothered to  actually compare verse and bibles.
We compared them, but you are playing pretend not to see. Dance for us loser.

2nd Samuel 21:22 - These FOUR were the descendants of Rapha in Gath, and they fell at the hands of David and his men.
See that verse shemp? Four Philistine  men called Golaith were killed over the years. Two were brothers, but all were descendants of Rapha.

Are you aware that these men were all from the same family? They were all very large men. Because you are ignorant, you think only one man could have the name. Why?

So get you act together Popoff, you have some serious explaining to do.
Why? Because you're dumb? The text tells you there were four men, giants of the same family, killed by David and his men.

The text even names the four Hebrew men who killed each one. Yet you stupidly insist there was only one man.

Read 2nd Samuel 21:22 and tell us what it's it talking about Jethro. Goliath was obviously a family name.

Or will you pretend not to see 2nd Samuel 21:22 for a little while longer? Not through shucking and jiving yet?

Its almost like you loath yourself.
Stephen
Stephen
Ok so going by the bible of YOUR choice and have quoted above lets start with this one

--> @ethang5 at post #9 above wrote;
1st Samuel 17:50 – Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand.
 And from the same bible that YOU have quoted above:

2 Samuel 21:19 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

19 There was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.

So above there are two different challengers from the same bible that YOU chose.

And here we have a new challenger going by the name of Adeodatus

2 Samuel 21:19 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
19 And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines, in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slew Goliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

So above then we have from your own choice of bible  2 Samuel  clearly contradicting 1 Samuel. And to be perfectly clear 

"NASB 1st Samuel 17:50  states it was "David" .

And the same bible NASBthe bible that you chose,   at 2 Samuel 21;19,   states that is was "Elhanan" that killed Goliath.

And this bible, DRA states it was neither of the above two but a man called Adeodatus!

19 And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines, in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slew Goliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

So you chew on those for a while Popoff and get back to me when you can explain why the same bible (the bible you chose to support your bullshit) has two different killers of the giant Goliath?

And there is also the third contender who claims to have killed Goliath  you could have missed it he is called Adeodatus at  2 Samuel 21:19 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

Don't let this spoil your Christmas Popoff.    

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
I don't think that the books of Samuel (or 1st and 2nd Kingdoms as they are titled in the septuigant) are texts that have been preserved too well. My opinion comes from the vast differences between the septuagint and the masoretic texts when it comes to these books. However, in this case the septuigant even says "Goliath" rather than brother of Goliath.

However, it is more consistent with the rest of scripture, including psalms ascribed to David about slaying Goliath, to say that Goliath that was slain by David. The parallel to this passage found in 1 Chronicles 20:5 says that Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath.

I have heard an argument that an early copyist error produced this anomaly, and it purports to show this through grammatical anomalies in the masoretic text version, but unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the Hebrew language to really appreciate the argument.

It would have to be an early copyist error, because the septuagint was translated from older manuscripts than what was used to produce the masoretic texts.

Stephen
Stephen
I don't think that the books of Samuel (or 1st and 2nd Kingdoms as they are titled in the septuigant) are texts that have been preserved too well.
Which makes them unreliable .

I have heard an argument that an early copyist error produced this anomaly,
Which brings the bible into the realms of unreliability.

It would have to be an early copyist error,

Which brings the bible into the realms of unreliability.

And no one has explained away this seemingly new heroic interloper:

19 And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines, in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slew Goliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
The church certainly uses scripture as it was intended to be used, and our use of it is the proper context. The way we use scripture fleshes out the typology in such a way to where the meaning of the faith is revealed. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
The church certainly uses scripture as it was intended to be used, and our use of it is the proper context. The way we use scripture fleshes out the typology in such a way to where the meaning of the faith is revealed. 

Really! OK. Then this question shouldn't be difficult at all for you then , should it.  So who actually killed Goliath?

Was it - David, Adeodatus or Elhanan? 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Most similar mythologies or fantasy tales have the little hero slaying the big bad ogre.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Most similar mythologies or fantasy tales have the little hero slaying the big bad ogre.

They do, zedvictor4.  But in this case we seem to have  bibles and verses that don't agree and contradict one another . We even have the same bible citing TWO different heroes!!!!! as the giant slayer, as  shown above by  Popoff 5 himself.   Or it is  a case that all three of these heroes killed this giant Goliath? Which then we would have a tale that is not mentioned anywhere in any bible on earth. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
According to to Church tradition it would be David.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
God killed Goliath, David was his means and over time the story changed to depict David as some kind of underdog hero when really it was rigged for him to win, from the start.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
RM, you are right in that it was God working through David to kill Goliath. You gave a really good answer.

But it shouldn't be understated David's role in this. Despite his shortcomings, David was a man after God's own heart. What that means is that he cooperated with God.

The Church teaches synergism, not monergism. That is, God's grace is not totally irresistible, but that we have a part to play in abiding in The Way. In other words, we have free will, and the divine energy that God graces us with can be misdirected and abused. 

Glory to God! Glory to his servant David, who is certainly accounted as righteous for his faith.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
David was a man after God's own heart. 

He was. He too was also  a jealous, murdering war monger too, just like god, wasn't he. As I pointed out above, I have read much about this god chosen King who sent a man away to war  so he could slip into the mans  wife. Horrid little fkr really, wasn't he? just like his god 

14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. 15 In it he wrote, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”2 Samuel 11:14-15

Like father like chosen, I suppose.

He died of some kind of ancient STD, didn't he?

5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.
6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

That'll teach the horrid little fkr , won't it.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Yeah, he was not perfect.

If you pay attention, from the time that David commited his great sin onward, his reign was marked by strife and chaos. He did repent.

And that is a big difference between those who truly have faith in God and the pretenders and godless. The lover of God confesses their sins and changes direction. The wicked in their pride comit to their delusion, and never repent. If they appear to, it is only to deceive and get ahead. It doesn't come from a desire for godliness.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
if you pay attention,

I did and have. I have said I have read much on this megalomaniac sex mad murderer who would have another man killed for sex.

from the time that David commited his great sin onward, his reign was marked by strife and chaos.

That was more down to bad decision making due to his pox  ridden brain.

He did repent.

Oh, well,  that's a ok  then.  But can't say it did any good for poor old Uriah who he sent to his inevitable death.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
We learn from these writings, and they are certainly useful in instructing people in The Way.

We certainly believe that murder and adultery is wrong. Yet, we can still learn from those who have done these things. One thing that can be learned is that even though David repented and was forgiven by God, he still had to deal with the consequences of his actions. The later part of King David's reign was made very difficult because of the sins he committed. King David w as s. supposed to be a perfect example of moral uprightness, and he did something heinous. 

We are not afraid to learn from these things. We use these accounts to instruct people in the way of righteousness. David commited a horrible sin and everyone acknowledges that. What makes him stand out from others who would do the same thing is that he felt guilty about it, admitted he was wrong, and corrected course.

So learn what we teach from it, not what you want to extract from it. Without The Holy Spirit, you are wasting your time with scripture. Your studies will be long, arduous, and if you don't aquire The Holy Spirit in the process, ultimately useless.

9 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
We learn from these writings, 

We certainly do , Mopac. I have learned from them that they are full of ambiguous statements and half told stories. Not to mention the contradictions every other page.

A good example of this comes from ethang - popoff - 5 above where he uses a  bible of his own choice   that clearly shows a clear and blatant contradiction.

Here,

--> @ethang5 at post #9 above wrote;
 And from the same bible  quoted above:

2 Samuel 21:19 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

19 There was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.

So above there are two different giant slayers from the same bible of his own choice.

Terrible it must be to have to face these biblical contradictory facts, I know, but biblical contradictory facts they are.

It is still unclear to me why he hasn't attempt to explain this blatant biblical contradiction... away. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
It isn't a matter of explaining anything away. It is a matter of you accepting an explanation you are given. Every other reference to this event says it is David who killed Goliath. The one that ascribes Goliath's death to another is actually talking about the brother of Goliath. This is clarified in the book of things omitted, or Chronicles.

It is a copyist error. 

If you can't accept this, what is the profit in arguing over uncertain things? There is none. 

The Bible is not intended to stand alone, it can not be removed from the context of The Church.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
It is a matter of you accepting an explanation you are given. Every other reference to this event says it is David who killed Goliath. .........

It is a copyist error. 

But that simply is not true is it!!? LOOK!!!!!>>>>> 

Once again there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob,and Elhanan son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath of Gath. The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

There was still another battle with the Philistines at Gob. Asoldier named Elhanan killed Goliath from Gath, whose spear shaft was like a weaver's beam. Elhanan's father was Jari from Bethlehem.

There was another battle with the Philistines at Gob, and Elhanan son of Jair from Bethlehem killed Goliath from Gath,whose spear had a shaft as thick as the bar on a weaver's loom.

Once again there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob,and Elhanan son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killedGoliath the Gittite. The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

In yet another battle at Gob, Jaare-oregim theBethlehemite'sson Elhanan killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear resembled that of a weaver's beam.

When more fighting broke out with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan, son of Jaare Oregim from Bethlehem, killed Goliath of Gath. (The shaft ofGoliath's spear was like a beam used by weavers.)

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath theGittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.

And there was another war in Gob with the Philistines where Elhanan, the son of Jaareoregim of Bethlehem, slew Goliath,the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was a battle in Rom with thePhilistines; and Eleanan son of Ariorgim the Bethleemite slew Goliath theGittite; and the staff of his spear was as a weaver's beam.

And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines,in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slewGoliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again a battle at Gob with thePhilistines; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, a Bethlehemite, smoteGoliaththe Gittite; now the shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam.

And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath the Gittite,the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

There was again war with the Philistines at Gob;and Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite's brother, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

Do you see that Popoff.  

And you tell me I am confused. I should think anyone but complete and utter cretinous moron would be confused , especially if he hadn't even bothered to  actually compare verse and bibles.

And what about the person? Adeodatus!

19 And there was a third battle in Gob against the Philistines, in which Adeodatus the son of the Forrest an embroiderer of Bethlehem slew Goliath the Gethite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

EXPLAIN!!!!!!!

Ethang- popoff - 5 seems to have disappeared  as he usually does when he has painted himself tightly into a corner. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
So let me get this straight...
Your argument is to pick translations of the same source text?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
So let me get this straight...
Your argument is to pick translations of the same source text?

Are you just playing dumb?

My argument is the contradiction of who was the giant slayer. the bible contradicts itself. It matters not which bible, it still contradicts itself on the matter. You have said above that>>> 

Every other reference to this event says it is David who killed Goliath. .........

and I have given you 16 fkn examples that says you are wrong.