Hall of Fame

Author: bsh1

Archived
Read-only
Total: 90
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Do we want to transfer the DDO HOF to this site, whether in whole or in part? If not, do we want to start a separate HOF, or just scrap the idea altogether? Other thoughts? Comments?

David
Debates: 91
David
I’d be up for transferring the HOF to this site 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Starting a new one
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Let's wait like a year and a half before deciding anything..... The site is brand new and we still have a pretty narrow user base that is mostly transplanted from DDO, it would only negatively effect how much of a quality accomplishment it would be for a user to get into the HoF if we rushed into it too early
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Imabench
I don't think he is saying that automatically we will have a HoF, but I think in the likely scenario we have one, would we resume or restart.
Mister_Man
Debates: 0
Mister_Man
Although I was a part of DDO I'm heavily against bringing the HoF over from there. I say we start a new one.

This isn't DDO so we shouldn't treat it as such, who gives a shit that this site has a lot of people from DDO, this isn't DDO.

Like Imabench said, let's start a new one in a year or so and give time for the dust to settle.

bsh1
bsh1
Seems like the balance of opinion is towards starting afresh after, perhaps, a waiting period of several months to a year. I'd like to get some more comments on this though, but that sounds perfectly fine to me.
Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
@Mister_Man
I very much agree with Mister_Man.
bsh1
bsh1
Any other voices on this topic?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@bsh1
Fresh, but not after a year. 6 months.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@bsh1
Only if I get added to it before I die
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@bsh1
actually in all seriousness, I suggest we post the final results of DDO HOF on DDO, and then just include a link (or even a google doc link in case DDO dies for good) that leads to the old HOF in case anyone is curious about it. Disguise it under "the tradition started on another debate site: [link]"

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vaarka
Any objections to Vaar's idea?
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
I think transfer the entire DDO HOF here, then wait for a few months or even a year and continue it here. If HOF continues on DDO, combine the two HOF elections or whatever. 

Treat the two sites as the same community, as far as HOF is concerned. 

drafterman
drafterman
I don't think the DDO HoF has any business being here. This site should not be treated as DDO 2.0.
Mister_Man
Mister_Man
-->
@Tejretics
No. Die.

The DDO HoF is a separate website. This isn't DDO 2.0, this is DebateArt.

It wouldn't be fair to people stumbling accross this site to be at a significant disadvantage right off the bat simply because people from a different website are on this one too.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Mister_Man
The only problem with this is that we'd end up having people who were in the DDO HOF end up in the DART HOF too. I say just include the link in the OP thread and leave it at that. 

Not to mention people are already gonna vote based off what they did on both sites (or just DDO) for a while. 
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Vaarka
This is a pretty good point. Despite what Mister_Man says, the reality is that it would be more alienating for a new member to watch a group of people who all know each other vote one another into the hall of fame for the first few rounds than it would be to just have the original HoF transplanted here as an opening footnote. Bringing the HoF over guarantees that a non-DDO member has more of a chance to be inducted, as they don't have to compete against anyone who was in the old one, some of who look like they're shaping up to be influential members on this site as well.
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@Mister_Man
It wouldn't be fair to people stumbling accross this site to be at a significant disadvantage right off the bat simply because people from a different website are on this one too.
It wouldn't be fair to people stumbling across DDO either, or any site with an existing user base.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
If a DDO person hasn't done anything here to warrant being in the HoF here, then no one should be voting on them to be in the HoF here. And if they have done something to warrant being in the HoF here then they deserve just as much chance as a non-DDO person. If the HoF is truly a meritocracy, then it makes no sense that starting fresh puts anyone at a disadvantage. If it isn't a meritocracy, then it shouldn't exist here, period.

It makes no sense to transfer the DDO HoF here. Not everyone on it is even here and it should represent this user base, not the user base of another web site. If the moderation philosophy is "clean slate" then the HoF should be as well.
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
hmm good points on both sides. Unfortunately you're all wrong. We should not have a HoF until people have had opportunities to make tangible contributions to the site. I don't think it makes sense to induct someone just for being a member. Wait until things start happening then open the floor to this discussion. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Smithereens
I think, for all ideas, that there would be a delay (6 months to a year) before we actually start inducting people.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
So will induction rules into the HoF be the same here as for DDO?

Will we have a category for most "beloved troll"?

I hope we can keep the HoF to things beneficial to the site and not just most infamous.

Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@drafterman
The problem with your idea is that, even if they've "done nothing here", people who came from DDO are already gonna be biased, and will likely vote people based mostly on DDO stuff. 

Not to mention people like bsh1, who is already in the HOF for DDO and is now a mod here (meaning he'll inevitably get into the HOF here too). 
Vaarka
Vaarka
I suggest just providing the link in the OP and stating that members already in the DDO HOF won't be inducted into this one (or something like it)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Vaarka
The problem with your idea is that, even if they've "done nothing here", people who came from DDO are already gonna be biased, and will likely vote people based mostly on DDO stuff. 

Then we shouldn't have it here at all.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@drafterman
I think that's being a bit purist. A Hall of Fame would eventually be a meritocracy, but given human nature the first few inductees would likely be people like Tej and bsh who were already inducted, which could give the appearance of bias (and I'm sure that personal bias actually would play into votes). 

I also think that treating this site as in no way a continuation of DDO is a bit silly; the interface is incredibly similar and the user base is largely transplanted. I think the moderation policy has more to do with not wanting to relitigate old feuds than it does with a spiritual break with old DDO.

I guess overall I don't see the point in restricting our options either to not voting because humans aren't really rational or to voting in a way that will highlight our tendencies to favoritism and personal bias when there is a super easy fix available.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I think that's being a bit purist. A Hall of Fame would eventually be a meritocracy
It is the tendency of such systems to work in the opposite direction: things designed with a noble purpose start out being a meritocracy, but then devolve into biased systems. To suggest that it will magically work the other way is to suggest a reversal of entropy. Simply put, if we can't build things thing from scratch and have it be a meritocracy from the beginning (whatever it may erode into over time), then it shouldn't be built, period.

If you think it is unfair that some natives will be overlooked in favor of transplants, then that unfairness is only compounded when you suggest that the transplants be grandfathered into the system without even a vote!

The Hall of Fame for a site should be the Hall of Fame for that site. The DART HoF should not be an extension of the DDO HoF because DART =/= DDO. Many people left DDO because it turned to crap. Some of those people have come here because it looks like a good, new attempt at a debate site. If people are suggesting that we import that crap left behind on DDO, then you're just going to lose those people.
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
I agree with Drafter 👏👏
Vaarka
Vaarka
reee put me in the HOF