Any RTS fans?

Author: Lunatic

Total: 4
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
The only experience I have with RTS so far is Halo wars 1 and 2 (both which I love, and halo wars 1 is arguably one of my favorite games). I am now downloading Ancestors Legacy which looks pretty fun as well. Never played star craft, but I am thinking of giving it a shot as well.

Any good RTS recommends?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Only RTS game that I have ever actually enjoyed playing was a game called homeworld. I still play it to this day sometimes but it is about 20 years old now so I am hesitant to recommend it as the graphics are a bit dated and many people actually care about things like that.

To be clear the graphics and engine were fucking godly for its time but, you know... It's time was 1999.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Interesting never heard of that one
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Lunatic
never heard of that one

Not surprised because, again, 1999 lol.

They also had a few sequels that were pretty old and a prequel that came out only a few years ago called "Sands of Kharak". I have never played any of the sequels or the prequel so cannot comment on any of them other than pointing out that SoK takes place on the ground so is probably a 2-D battlefield (as are most RTS games I am aware of) whereas the others are fully 3-D.

Actually now I am looking at Google and it appears a Homeworld 3 is on the table for the future. So two decades old and still enough of a following to produce revenue. Yeah. That isn't just all hype and nostalgia, it was just that good. As a matter of fact I would unironically compare the physics engine favorably against most modern RTSs, though I admit that probably says more about the stagnation of the genre than anything (I have played video games since I was four years old, which is about when HW came out, but have never called myself an RTS fan and likely never will).

But again, most people actually care about things like graphics so I can't actually recommend the vanilla original version and have never played any of the spin-offs so cannot recommend those. I guess I could recommend the remastered version. I have never played the remastered version but from what I understand it is just a graphics and UI overhaul. It is available on Steam. If you don't give a shit about graphics you can easily find the original somewhere for free, ben olding games is the first place that comes to mind to check, or I could just email you a copy. File size is less than a third of a gigabyte fully unzipped lmao. The age of floppy disks amirite?

I intended to just write a few sentences but now looks like I made a full post lol. I guess I got a bit carried away, video games are (as you can likely tell) one of my passions.