The death penalty

Author: Alec

Total: 17
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
This is a poll that I plan on conducting for 10 days ish.  

Q1: Should the death penalty exist for any crimes?

Q2: If your answer to Q1 is Yes, to what crimes?  If your answer is No, then what is your desired alternative punishment for murder?

Justifications are allowed.

My response:

Q1: No

Q2: Life in jail without parole and every 3 months, and the murderer has to donate 480 ml of blood to save 2 more people, 4x per year.  This way, the murderer saves more lives than they took, and since murderers tend to want to kill as many as possible, knowing they can't succeed with this if they are forced to save way more others, it would I think reduce the homicide rate drastically.

Alec
Alec
Pro Death penalty: 0

Anti Death penalty: 1
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Alec
I would hate to be on death row for a crime I didn't commit. How about you?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Alec
I would hate to be on death row for a crime I didn't commit. How about you?
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Q1: Should the death penalty exist for any crimes?

Yes. Absolutely. 

Q2: If your answer to Q1 is Yes, to what crimes?

- Intentional Murder (First degree, second degree)
- Rape (If its clear the rapist had the intent to take advantage of someone)
- Killing ones own children due to negligence or gross incompetence (Vegans who have their kid starve to death by trying to give them a vegan diet, also parents who try to cure diseases by prayer rather then going to a fucking doctor)
- Gross corruption 

Still on the fence of whether or not women who fabricate rape charges should receive the death penalty since rapists imo deserve the death penalty, and other women who lie about being raped harms the credibility of others who actually are raped, which arguably can be just as bad or maybe even worse then rape itself 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Imabench
So only some people have the right to kill other people.

Alec
Alec
With the assumption that Stephen and disgusted are against the death penalty, and that Imabench supports it:

Pro death penalty: 1

Anti Death penalty: 3

Alec
Alec
-->
@Stephen
Same.
drafterman
drafterman
No.
Alec
Alec
4 to 1 Anti Death penalty (ADP).
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@disgusted
Yep
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i'm against the death penalty at first blush, but if we forced murderers to either donate blood and bodily goods like that, or be put to death, id go for the death penalty for those who want it. i'm not principled enough to be dead set against the death penalty, i'm too practical. 

i dont think criminals would drastically reduce their murders if they thought theyd end up saving more lives in the end, because most criminals dont think that way that they want to kill as many as possible, and even if they did think that way, they arent rational enough to be competently making those decisions and would go for the kill. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i dont think the supreme court would go for this system, though, because theyd view it as a violation of a person's liberty interest, if they were coerced into sacrificing their body. i could be wrong though because they might also just view it as the prisoner's decision. something about it though seems uncivilized such that i think the court wouldn't allow it. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@n8nrgmi
i'm against the death penalty at first blush, but if we forced murderers to either donate blood
It would be done every 3 months in an effort to save more lives.  They killed one person and in the name of deterrence, they should be forced to save hundreds more over the course of their lives.  It would deter so much murder.

because most criminals dont think that way that they want to kill as many as possible
Then why do people murder?  Murderers want to do damage to people's lives.  I mean such people unfortunately exist.

even if they did think that way, they arent rational enough to be competently making those decisions and would go for the kill. 
Murderers are evil, but they are smart.  They try to hide their actions and they plan out their homicides.  Dylan Roof planned out the shooting he did.

i dont think the supreme court would go for this system, though, because theyd view it as a violation of a person's liberty interest
The person murdered and prison for life is essentially a violation of liberty for the prisoner.  Granted, it's justified because genuine murderers don't deserve freedom.  
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Alec
Then why do people murder?
They're cuckoo

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Alec
Walk me through how donating blood is a deterrent to murder?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@disgusted
apparently he thinks all murderers are out for the maximum death count. not true at all, but that's apparently what he thinks.