Quassim Solemani is Dead

Author: Vader

Total: 292
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Right... I don't understand what your point is. Are you denying that risk and the potential negative outcome of that risk are important when making decisions?
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Lol so the more risks the better?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
Not necessarily. I am saying cost-benefit analysis is an acquired skill, and overstating the risks will always lead to underperformance.
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Wouldn't say I'm overstating the risks when a war was/is possible. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
This isn't exactly the 1st time Trump's critics accused him of underestimating the risks involved in his decisions.

In general, you expect politicians to underperform and overestimate risks simply because of political security, but that typically leads to situations where other countries with less to lose outperform us by doing the things Iran, Russia, and China are doing.
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Okay... 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Username
But it's not so simple. Iran has an obligation both to avoid an all out war with the U.S. and to look good and unafraid for it's citizens. This puts them in a near impossible situation in which they must retaliate to look good but not retaliate too hard where they would trigger a war. Iran intentionally tried not to kill any Americans when it bombed the base but they got lucky in that respect; imagine if they had tried something different than what they did or they accidentally killed some Americans in the process; things would've escalated further. 

They can’t directly attack us. A red line created by Trump was enforced. Soleimani died because Iran overstepped the line by killing an American contractor. They can’t retaliate because they know they’d lose. That’s why they informed our Iraq and therefore our troops the launches were going to happen. In short we won.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Here is a recent example of politicians overestimating risks.

DBlaze
Debates: 0
DBlaze
So, Bush was blamed for not doing anything before the terrorist attacks 9/11.  Democrats were beside themselves that we didn't know it was going to happen, therefore could not prevent it.   

So Trump acts on intelligence that was given to him that there were several attacks in the works, whether they are eminant, or whether they are years in the future doesn't matter, and Democrats want to flip the script and say that this is just plain old murder, when he is trying to prevent something in the future.  Just admit, that nothing republicans do will ever suffice.

If Obama had come out and said that there were planned attacks on the US, all would have been hunky dory.  You would say that he wouldn't do that, and you are probably correct... Instead he would give them a bunch of money to do two things, buy them out, and get hostages back, proving that we will succumb to ransom, that puts a target on every single US Citizen outside of the country.   If he was just giving money back to them that we stole, why did he do it with such secrecy?  Just like everything Obama did, in secrecy, at least you have a President that is telling you what is going on.  

Iran is a country that can't even have a funeral without 35 people dying by getting trampled during the General's procession, and not everyone was there to mourn, many were there praising it... in their heads.  Does that sound like a civilized country?  Something has got to give.  

This also gave us a chance to get out of the middle east completely.... Does anyone think that we actually want to be in Iraq, it's time to get out, which looks like we may have to do?  It also does send a message to everyone that we are not messing around.  I think it was a calculated move for far more reasons than are mentioned in this thread.  You have no idea what the real intelligence knows, and they sure as heck are not going to share that with you.  

Congress is still useless, every day is more useless than the last.

Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Risks aren't something you can make general judgements about like this. It is specific to the risk at hand. 

In this case, we risked war by acting and did not gain enough for that risk to be worth it. We're very lucky this didn't escalate.

Username
Username
-->
@ILikePie5
I don't think you read anything I said and just re-iterated your previous statement. 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
The aim of terrorism is to cower people into accepting injustice through fear.

Sulimani was a government official. So what? The President is sworn to protect American lives, regardless of who threatens them.

I can only imagine what these people complaining now would have said about Hitler and WWII. "Hitler is a government official!"

In the real world, there are evil people,  sometimes war is inevitable.

But revulsion to war should never make us accept atrocities, or else terrorism will have accomplished its aim.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Vader
Salman Rushti or a different Salman?
disgusted
disgusted
What will happen when the Americans guilty of killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi and Afghani citizens are eliminated similarly? I hope you cheer just as loudly for the justice meted out.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@disgusted
Salmon bin Abudaliz... what point are you proving besides making yourself look childish
Vader
Vader
Using "your 16 lol" isn't a roast, but an actual compliment. Plus I am very well educated, they just disagree with my beliefs, so they roast me for no reason. Lib logic 101

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Vader
Do you mean:
Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud

I'm in a very fortunate position that I have no need to make you and your ilk look childish.
Have you been banned from the "kiddies r us" forum?
Vader
Vader
-->
@disgusted
Yes I did mean him nice job

And why do you care so much about my age. Getting creepy vibes from you
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Vader
Too bad you didn't know his name.

It should be obvious that I have little interest in ignorant children. I put you in your place always,.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Vader
don't you love the shouts of tolerance from the intolerant?
Vader
Vader
-->
@disgusted
I mean I did... what the hell are you on about
Vader
Vader
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Really makes me appreciate Nihilism more than I already do