Iran launches missles at U.S. bases in Iraq

Author: Username

Total: 90
Username
Debates: 9
Username

This is just awful. We are now escalating towards war because of Trump's absurd actions and the killing of one of Iran's most important figures. 

Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Tit-for-tat right now so we're technically even.... If we respond with sanctions then we can still probably return to whatever the fuck was considered 'normal' between US-Iran relations. Anything more than sanctions though will def invite some sort of counter response. 

Now we wait :/
Username
Username
-->
@Imabench
Given that Trump hopped straight in to the assassination of a major Iranian general sanctions are the best we can hope for.

People don't understand that this isn't some chess game and this isn't a fucking sport. We have American and Iranian lives in our hands. 
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@Username
If there are no US casualties in the missile attacks then we're about 80% clear towards returning to normal.... If some poor soldier or two does happen to be killed, then its a 50-50 crapshoot if things escalate further or not. 

If more then 3 soldiers are killed then its over. Trump will counter respond with something bigger and then everything gets ultra-fucked.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Imabench
I feel like even if we are lucky enough to not have any dead soldiers, Trump's impulsive nature will result in a counter attack. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Lunatic
Nah, deep state controls him.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Imabench
People report about 20, but nothing confirmed
Vader
Vader
I have President Trump's assurance that "All is Well"

ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Vader
I have President Trump's assurance that "All is Well"
Insane lading the children around by their balls.  Your clueless as is most of the republicans of USA.

We are at war with Iran.  Iran declared war on  USA days ago.  Trump is clueless and needs you and others to lick/stroke his ego so he can kick  this war into 2nd gear.  Lindsay Grahman is stroking/lickin Trumps ego and nobody, NOBODY, knows where this is all going to end.

Iain't over yet.  Somebody took a blackhead/piple contractor out in Irag and Trump takes out an eye{ head general } in Iran.

And eye for a pimple/blackhead.  Maybe only a hair.  You have no idea whats coming, nor do I.  

Iran has stated they are willing to take out two major tourist cities { Dubai ad Hafia } if USA retaliates.  You think their fooling? 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ebuc
Wait a minute..... Iran will attack an Israeli and Indian city if we retaliate? That sounds really dumb to incur the wrath of three nations instead of one. That would essentially grant the international go-ahead for war against them.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Trump is clueless for sure.

It's the string pullers who have the agenda and the authority.

And British lick arses, who assumed a mandate to leave the E.U. now assume a mandate to keep on licking.

How about asking the people what they think Bosser?

Mopac
Mopac
Iraq... Afghanistan... all these countries The US invaded in the last few decades border Iran.

I suspect that war with Iran is something The US has been preparing for.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
from what I read this was in the works for a while but took the death of the contractor to trigger it, sounded far from impulsive or knee jerk.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
It appears now that the Iranians went out of their way to avoid actually killing anyone, though it should be noted that we've yet to have any solid reports of what the human toll from the attack is. In short, this was intended to save face without escalating, and also to send a warning of the damage they're capable of inflicting.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Let me just say that right now is an absolutely horrific time to dig in our heels and invite a prolonged bout in the Middle East. As nobody seems to be paying any attention to, Taiwan will be holding its national elections on the 11th, and thanks to the messy business in Hong Kong Tsai and the DPP seem slated to win again. It has been speculated for years now that if Tsai Ing-Wen gets re-elected it could mean war.
In China, the economic slowdown is putting internal pressure on Xi Jinping's grip on power. A sudden infusion of ultranationalism from invading a neighboring country could be just what he needs to reconsolidate his authority. Note that similar factors played into Vladimir Putin's decision to annex Crimea in 2014; this operation was preceded by flagging approval numbers and large-scale protests in Moscow against the incumbent party. Signs that the U.S. might be too distracted by Iran to respond strongly will embolden Xi.
Strangely enough, a Chinese official is scheduled to come to the U.S. on the 13th and sign Phase I of the final U.S.-China trade deal. This could be a subterfuge designed to mask Chinese intentions to attack Taiwan the day before this, or the day after the election.
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@Swagnarok
 In short, this was intended to save face without escalating, and also to send a warning of the damage they're capable of inflicting.
Thats probably the smartest thing they could have done tbh. As costly and long as a US-Iran war would be, nobody suspects that Iran would be capable of withstanding US forces for very long before the regime capitulates, so responding and not escalating is def the best move for them

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Swagnarok
I heard they gave a 2 hour advanced notice of their attack, but that could just be fake news.
Given that Trump said there would be consequences if U.S. lives were lost and there were with the death of the general and others, probably not the wisest idea to push any more boundaries or try and call a bluff.
This seems a fairly logical set of events when you look back.  Red lines drawn in the sand, hollow and meaningless threats, appeasements etc.  A lot of long term good could come from all of this, we can hope anyway. 
Threats, obviously are meaningless, toothless unless you follow through.  Once it's clear you will follow through and people know where you stand and that you will do what you say, it does make things easier in many ways.  Consistency and predictability has it's advantages far more than drawing red lines in the sand.
Vader
Vader
Looks like he backed down for any fight at the moment
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I was being facetious.

You would think something serious as a possible war would stop people from screaming Orangemanbad and actually look at what's going on.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Consistency and predictability has it's advantages far more than drawing red lines in the sand.

This is something Obama failed to do, with Iran, Korea, Benghazi, Ukraine, AND Syria.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Swagnarok
It appears now that the Iranians went out of their way to avoid actually killing anyone, though it should be noted that we've yet to have any solid reports of what the human toll from the attack is. In short, this was intended to save face without escalating, and also to send a warning of the damage they're capable of inflicting.

The best possible scenario.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
oh I know, it's funny how people believe the fake news they agree with.
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
Trump is literally the reason we are escalating towards war right now. Orangemanbad is a strawman of what is really an incredibly dangerous mistake made by our president. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Username
Trump is literally the reason we are escalating towards war right now. Orangemanbad is a strawman of what is really an incredibly dangerous mistake made by our president. 

We wouldn't even be in this situation if Obama didn't make such a joke of redlining. Countries think we are toothless and can do whatever they want to us, including killing civilian contractors and attacking our embassies.

This was inevitable short of a complete surrender to every Nation opposed to us.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Username
and you would do what when they kill citizens, people from other countries, all the things he was accused of doing?  A good scolding?  Time out?  Pay them to stop?  Or just bend over?

The but-for test

but for the killing of a U.S. citizen we would not be having this discussion.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
There are real consequences for broadcasting to the world that the leader of a country is illegitimate. 

"Not My President" and "Orangemanbad" and "Impeach 45" have far-reaching consequences and are more than just emotional memes.

Destroying the office of the presidency to spite a president is a sure-fire recipe to invite enemies to take advantage of us.

This is why I really believe the left does not care about the Country over their mad lust for power.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
great points, makes sense, I would see a president who doesn't have full support of the whole government (half at most) that would be a perceived weak position.  If those who oppose him didn't do it in the manner as they are, but instead portrayed a unified country, even if they had to fake it, that would be a huge benefit for the country and it's citizens.  But that would assume they cared more about the country and it's citizens than themselves and their party.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
"Not My President"

You are acting like the blue ties invented this phrase. Pretty sure I heard a lot more red ties say this in the first week of Obama getting elected than I have heard from the blue ties during Trump's entire term.

"Orangemanbad"

This I have 100% never heard from a blue tie.
Username
Username
-->
@Greyparrot
When did I talk about Obama? Total whataboutism. And it's hardly inevitable; we could've sent troops to defend the embassy, attempted a diplomatic meeting, etc.  Trump literally only chose the killing because it was the most severe option presented to him.

Why are we assuming our embassy is safe because their military general is dead? Don't you think that'll motivate more violence in that area just as much as it may deter it? 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Total whataboutism. 

It's not whataboutism in the slightest degree. It's explaining why Iran feels like it can kill civilian contractors and attack embassies without any fear of retaliation.

Whataboutism would be showing an instance where Obama assassinated a military general leading terrorist strikes, and then justifying Trump's action solely on the basis of that whataboutism.

Since that never happened, you are pulling a "whataboutism" out of your ass just to appear virtuous.