Deception Detection in Online MafiaGame Interactions - Lisa Fu

Author: Bullish

Total: 6
Bullish
Debates: 0
Bullish

In this project, we use deep learning to detect deception through online conversations in the interaction-based party game Mafia. We present various neural network frameworks (LSTM, bidirectional LSTM, CNN) to generate predictions of deceptive text. The results of this paper suggest the capability of neural network architectures to effectively detect deception in the Mafia setting, and offer qualitative analysis in agreement with current deception research findings.

We have trained tensorflow frameworks based on unidirectional LSTM, bidirectional LSTM, as well as CNN, that successfully perform deception detection on online Mafia game interactions using the Mafiascum dataset [3]. All three models performed above baseline accuracy (81.6%), with 88.8% (unidirectional LSTM), 94.7% (bidirectional LSTM), and 94.9% (CNN). This suggests that deeplearning techniques may be able to effectively identify linguistic cues that signal deception.
Emphasis mine

This is a relatively recent paper (March 18, 2019). I wonder how this compares against good players here.
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
lol no way some guys made a mafia deception detector??
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
We're doomed. The computer will defeat us at a social game.

8 days later

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I think a mafia program would probably play better as town than as scum. What do you guys think?
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes. It would die as scum.
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
I have mentioned before the linguistic cues and everybody ignores me when I point out the specific cues. A mafia detector AI would be laughed at in games and ignored