Proof religion is a cope

Author: Singularity

Total: 39
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
The other day I made a post detailing why religion was a cope. Many people challenged me on this common sense conclusion.  Which is fair.  Sometimes our common sense can be proven wrong. 

While working on my upcoming blog donteverdie.com I came across a scientific study that set out to find out if religion is a cope. The study determined that areas of the world where there was harsher conditions due to the actual environment or the political environment, had religions that were more moralistic and areas with an easy life were either atheistic or at least had non moralizing Gods. 

The theory is that religion seems to help people cope with high anxiety. If societies with higher levels of anxiety provoking conditions are more likely to develop moralizing Gods, I think it might be safe to say those who are more at risk of anxiety even in western countries would be drawn to these religions as well. Even if the anxiety is of a more existential nature. 

There we have it. Proof religion is a cope 

EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Singularity
The theory is that religion seems to help people cope

Seeing as how you are going to carry on with your silly idea why don't you answer this question.
Lets say the theory has a legit premise, how does this prove at all that religions are wrong, or that God does not exist?

Religious beliefs may help with anxiety (even though that's not always true at all, and this would be from my own observations of people around me) is it because religious propositions have truth behind them or because they are false lol? why is it you only want to focus on your own presumption that God doesn't exist and or people are afraid of death? maybe because of the fact they could help people cope with issues in life is because it is in fact a reality. In other words it touches on aspects of ourselves that religions understand. 

And besides this, why don't you go around actually asking people why they believe what they believe rather than relying on some secular study that doesn't really know the complete base of anything spiritual? wouldn't that be a bit more logical? is it because you're afraid your assumptions about Theists will be proven wrong?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
When I chose the path I have taken the last thing on my mind was any coping mechanism, that's actually hilarious...that has nothing to do with why I'm a Theist. Actually it was mostly the pursuit of truth and the reaction to my own observations and experiences. Spirituality in all actuality has pulled me away from coping mechanisms in my life to face myself just as I am and just as reality is. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
That is of course if you are using coping mechanism defined as
an adaptation to environmental stress that is based on conscious or unconscious choice".... "Any conscious or unconscious mechanism of adjusting to environmental stress without altering personal goals or purposes"....

Perhaps you may want to define for us how you are using the term to clarify the point you are making. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@EtrnlVw
It is unconscious reasoning and your conscious reasoning is just a rationalization of that unconscious reasoning. Studies show we often make decisions unconsciously and then in retrospect apply rationalization to them. It is likely so we can feel like our conscious mind is the actual decision maker, but it isn't. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
Let me know if you have any questions when you're ready to ditch the assumptions. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@EtrnlVw
The article references a scientific peer reviewed study
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Singularity
You act as if that's some sort of catch all in one study. You'll be surprised if you ask instead of assume. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Singularity
Did you know that I've never converted from atheism to Theism at any point? that I don't subscribe to any particular organized religion? this has never been about coping for me, but about the correlation of observation and evidence, but carry on..
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
"The birth of religion has previously been explained as a result of either culture, or environmental factors, but rarely both.
Now, a new study suggests it arose out of a medley of ecological, historical, and cultural factors - and may have been used as a coping mechanism." 

Lol, this is exactly what I'm talking about. None of this applies to me and I'm sure many others. This is so shallow I don't even know where to begin. 

Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
Lol no one likes being told something they've believed in their whole life, can be narrowed down to their environment containing "High stress and anxiety". 

But really everything we are is a product of our environment, and this information isn't crazy surprising. Religion ruled in medieval times, because of the lack of luxury that humans have now. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunatic
Lol no one likes being told something they've believed in their whole life, can be narrowed down to their environment containing "High stress and anxiety". 

And so is this how you account for your own beliefs and understanding of reality? or is this just focused on others? BTW I love your profile pic.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
It's funny how we assume so much about environmental factors, culture and "anxiety" among so many worldviews and opinions and then dump it all on religion and Theists when we all exist within the same environments despite beliefs lol, can anyone say bias?? why does it only apply to those who happen to have spiritual beliefs?? are atheists and secular folks immune from this problem? 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
Hmm, I wonder if atheism is some coping mechanism...how can they be so oblivious to something so obvious as creation...or does it have to do with some environmental factors...yeah I think I'm going to start presuming that anyone who holds a materialistic worldview has anxiety. They have just developed a coping mechanism so they don't have to deal with reality, the reality of life after death and stress, what a joke. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@EtrnlVw
There is no evidence atheism is a coping mechanism, however you would be correct that even atheistic belief systems come from being a product of your environment 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Singularity
There is no evidence atheism is a coping mechanism

How convenient....Who performed a study? since that is what you are so fond of when it pertains to people with opposing views of life even when it doesn't apply. 

however you would be correct that even atheistic belief systems come from being a product of your environment 

Being a product of environment I have no real issue with per say, because what we observe individually and how we interpret life may have very distinct factors involved. What comes across as ignorant and bias is that having Theistic beliefs is a coping mechanism for whatever you choose to fill in the blanks with...and only derived from stress and anxiety not being able to cope with reality. That is where we draw the line. 

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@EtrnlVw
And so is this how you account for your own beliefs and understanding of reality? or is this just focused on others? BTW I love your profile pic.

I am also a product of my environment, yes.
disgusted
disgusted
Lol, this is exactly what I'm talking about. None of this applies to me and I'm sure many others. This is so shallow I don't even know where to begin. 
Begin on one of your godworlds. lol

disgusted
disgusted
Godists are godists because reality, you are born, you live, you die is just too scary for them. They need a coping mechanism and a fantasy afterlife is it.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunatic
Cool, have you seen Fist of Legend, and Kiss of the Dragon?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
Get a life. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@EtrnlVw
No rationalmadman made this profile picture for me, in his thread
disgusted
disgusted
A fwightened wlittle wabbit, squeaking from a godworld. hahahahaha
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunatic
Ahh, good movies. Should check them out. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
Yes, so scared I can hardly take it. That's always your resolve, get a life. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunatic
That is if you are into martial arts movies...
disgusted
disgusted
I'm just visiting godworld xx1g36, nice place eh et?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@EtrnlVw
I'll  give it a try sometime thanks
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
start with ip man 1-3 and 'undisputed 2, 3 and 4'.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
start with ip man 1-3

Ip man is excellent but an entirely different artist/actor. 

and 'undisputed 2, 3 and 4'.

Those movies are horrible lol, I wouldn't even classify them in the same category.