Can scholarship explain the Bible for us?

Author: Dynasty

Total: 33
Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
Yes, it can.
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
You don't need to be a scholar to read it and know that most of it is fiction.
Dynasty
Dynasty
-->
@disgusted
Are you stupid?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Dynasty
No I'm one of the sane intelligent ones, you know the ones who don't believe fairy tales.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Dynasty
"Explain" the bible in what way? Scholarship can explain a lot of things about the way a lot of books are interpreted. I think you mean "verify," though. Can you expound?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Sure, but I think it is worth noting that removed from the church, the bible isn't being studied in the proper context.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Please explain the proper context and why a building would have any effect on said context. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
The church is not a building. If that was the case, I would be making a silly claim.

I am talking about the Apostolic Church, that is, The Orthodox Catholic Church.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
How do we know, the ones who aren't members of that church, that your contextual condition is correct?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
As St Ignatius of Antioch put it,

"Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is administered either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

This is the teaching of the apostles and those who followed them.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
That doesn't answer the question. 

How do we know, the ones who aren't members of that church, that your contextual condition is correct?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
To better answer your question, it is simply a matter of accepting that the scriptures belong to the church, and interpretation outside of the context of the church ignores what should be obvious. That the bible is inseparable from the church.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
That sounds more like you don't think anyone who doesn't already accept the bible as true, specifically your sect's interpretation of the bible, should bother studying it at all. It sounds like the church depends an awful lot on telling people "Well, you don't know what you're reading, but I do, so you should listen to me and accpet what I say," without a compelling reason for anyone to do so. 

So I'll ask it more simply: how, without scholarship, do we know your version is correct?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
It should be obvious. The church not only wrote the New Testament, but even determined what is canon.

We know what we use the scriptures to teach. It seems silly to believe anyone else. It's a matter of respecting the opinion that logically has the greatest authority on the matter.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Mopac

Mopac,

YOUR REVEALING QUOTE: "The church not only wrote the New Testament, but even determined what is canon."

Not to purposely bloody you up even further again with actual literal biblical axioms, but when you proffer that your Catholic Church determined the canon, then why in the hell did it include THE ONE OF MANY narratives below showing that Jesus is a serial killer?!

JESUS SAID: “I tell you that everyone who has will be given more; but the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. And these enemies of mine who were unwilling for me to rule over them, bring them here and slay them in front of me. After Jesus had said this, He went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.….” ( Luke 19:26-28)

Mopac, as a TRUE Christian, which it has been blatantly shown you are not, I have to accept this as one of many examples of our Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, is in fact, a serial killer, bar none! Now, you can turn, make faces, twist yourself into a pretzel, but the fact remains the same, our all loving and forgiving Jesus in a SERIAL KILLER!

It is truly tough to be a Christian when one reads ALL of the Bible in the 21st century. :(

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
It was Jews who wrote the books, no christians involved.
Dynasty
Dynasty
-->
@BrotherDThomas
That's from a parable.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
At the start, most Christians were Jewish. Even Jesus and his disciples were Jewish.

The Church sees itself as being the successor to ancient Israel. Who are the people who call themselves Jews today? Descendants of those who rejected Christ.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Christians didn't write your fucking book, you lie and Jesus was never a Christian.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Before we adopted the name that originated from pagans mocking us for our practice of chrismation, we simply identified our faith as "The Way".

Orthodox Christianity is The Eternal Way.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Dynasty
Can scholarship explain the Bible for us?

It shouldn't need explaining at all, should it? God should have made it simple and intelligible and comprehensible to all who are interested.  But it's not, is it?  But it can be  once one has learned to think for themselves, which those who have blind faith  are simply incapable of doing.

And any amount of education goes some way to explain some  things. The bible needs to be explained only to those far too idle to research  for themselves. Instead we have had - over 2,000 years of what the church and their priests only want us to know. They will steer the child,  the gullible and slow witted towards all fluffy and easily explainable verses concerning god and his creation and how he loves us. And of Jesus healing lepers and dying for our sins; but they can't explain why Jesus didn't cure leprosy altogether and eradicate this agonising and deadly disease from the face of the earth. Why  didn't Jesus, son of God relive ALL of those from suffering this slow, painful and agonising torture, untill death?

They won't be able to tell us why "god" even bothered created anything at all first place. WHY?   Because they are full of shit and want you on your fkn knees begging for life and sustenance. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Sure, but I think it is worth noting that removed from the church, the bible isn't being studied in the proper context.

And there you all have it. See my  post 21 above; "we have had - over 2,000 years of what the church and their priests only want us to know".

According to Mopac, we are so fkn dumb in the 21st century that  - ` We need the fkn church to interpret and ex[plain this bullshit otherwise we will never understand it for ourselves'.

The fkn patronising audacity of these fkrs astounds me at times.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
If it was really as easy as you say, there wouldn't be such a large proliferation of heresies that all claim to be biblical.

No one is calling anyone stupid except you, and it isn't nice.

It should be obvious that the bible isn't in its proper context removed from the church. It isn't even simply a matter of interpretation.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BrotherDThomas
THE ONE OF MANY narratives below showing that Jesus is a serial killer?!

Lol serial killer must mean something different where you come from. How much of the Bible have you read? It is pretty obvious from your post that you never read Luke 19.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Lol. His other posts cover the other books.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

Discipulus_Didicit,

YOUR PROVING MY POINT QUOTE, WHICH IS ONE OF MANY: "Lol serial killer must mean something different where you come from. How much of the Bible have you read? It is pretty obvious from your post that you never read Luke 19."

I have read Luke 19, especially when Jesus stated the following, to wit: "JESUS SAID: “I tell you that everyone who has will be given more; but the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. And these enemies of mine who were unwilling for me to rule over them, bring them here and slay them in front of me. After Jesus had said this, He went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.….” ( Luke 19:26-28)

The passage of Luke 19:26-28 is attributed to Jesus!
The passage above is stated by Jesus!
The passage above is therefore showing Jesus by proxy as a serial killer!
The passage above does NOT show Jesus as ever loving and forgiving, by the pure nature of what He said, period!

As a true Christian, this is what I have to accept when reading the Bible, understood? This of course doesn't include the other areas of the Bible that shows our ever loving and forgiving Jesus being a serial killer as well, like in the Great Flood, where Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, murdered thousands upon thousands of innocent babies, women and animals because of being upset with His creation for being evil.  The irony of which, Jesus, being God, was omniscient (1 John 3:20), therefore He knew His creation were going to be evil in front of Him in the future. Therefore He knew beforehand that He would have to murder them! Funny, huh? LOL

Oh, and don't rely upon the pseudo-christian ethang5 on bible topics, because all he can do with me is to runaway from my Biblical topics or spin doctor literal passages into pretzels in the name of Satan.  Seemingly at this time, ethang5 is vying to be the most bible ignorant and the biggest runaway artist to disturbing biblical narratives on DEBATEART.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Look, I get that you are trying to prove a point through parody and all... I think that is a good way to make points sometimes and as you know I am an athiest so yeah I get it... But could you at least read the Bible before you start making claims about it?

It is pretty obvious that the portion of the passage that you bolded, underlined, and italicized (bit of overkill there, as a side note) is not Jesus ordering some dudes death. It is pretty obvious that the portion of the passage that you bolded, underlined, and italicized is Jesus telling a story about some dude ordering some other dudes death. By 'pretty obvious' what I mean is that the reading comprehension level required is roughly mid elementary school level so either you already knew what I just told you, you never actually read the Bible (at least not this part) and instead just did something silly like Google "Jesus orders killing" or something like that, or the third possibility is that you legitimately do have a severe lack of reading comprehension skills. I mean seriously, these books are incredibly simplistic and easy to understand due to the fact that they were written by primitive peoples. You therefore really have to be incredibly dull not to get it.

These are litterally the only three possibilities for what is happening here.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
No one is calling anyone stupid except you,

I haven't called anyone stupid since my  warning for calling someone  (correctly) - stupid. nearly a year ago.

No.  Most of the name calling of late has all come from you Mopac. So wind your neck in sunshine before I decide to list all the shite that you have thrown my way out of frustration in not being able to answer anything I have put to you, There's a good lad.

It should be obvious that the bible isn't in its proper context removed from the church.

Stop it!! FFS!! You mean not have it read and explained to me by someone who believes himself to be qualified. List, I have taken on many of those who believe themselves to be highly qualified in  biblical matters yet buckle at one simple question, just like you do. that is because they were taught in exactly the same  way as you have been taught. Get over it, I have questions aplenty. And I will keep asking them.

It isn't even simply a matter of interpretation.

It is exactly a matter of interpretation and who happens to have, or be, interpreting it. I just don't believe it the way you do. You do not have to engage me at all, do you?

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Admitting when you are wrong rather than just going silent when people call you out will also help your credibility in case you ever happen to be right about something in the future.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

Discipulus_Didicit,

YOUR QUOTE: " It is pretty obvious that the portion of the passage that you bolded, underlined, and italicized is Jesus telling a story about some dude ordering some other dudes death."

Pertaining to your quote above, then biblically please enlighten me about "some dude" ordering "some other dudes" death within the scriptures because that is the only area that Jesus could be referring too in your statement. Now, I want you to perform this act using only the Bible to vouchsafe your claims, where this would take them away from simple hearsay, okay?  I also want you to explain Jesus using the term "these enemies of  mine" where the pronoun "mine" is possessive only to Jesus, and not "some other dude's story."  Understood?

JESUS SAID“I tell you that everyone who has will be given more; but the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. And these enemies of mine who were unwilling for me to rule over them, bring them here and slay them in front of me. After Jesus had said this, He went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.….” ( Luke 19:26-28)

Since this alleged expose' by you is equal to a mid elementary school level, you should be able to easily address my statements above.

Waiting.