F*ck sources, spelling and grammer, and conduct

Author: thett3

Total: 16
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
These voting categories need to go away. Debates need to be judged on solely on a win/loss ballot, full stop. I proved this conclusively in my debates with Roy and Zarroette 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
grammar*
thett3
thett3
-->
@drafterman
owned 

drafterman
drafterman
On a serious note, I agree on sources (it should be the participant's job to address problem with cited sources) and S&G (unless the errors are so egregious as to interfere with meaning, in which case that really falls under Arguments).

I'm fine with keeping conduct. After all, we can agree that the winning or losing of a sports game depends solely on the points score, but nevertheless also agree that teams or individuals can be penalized for conduct.
thett3
thett3
-->
@drafterman
 well it remains to be seen what happens on this site but on DDO back when people actually voted on debates they tended to use the other points to stack their vote so it was worth more. At the very least it was ridiculous that the other points added up to be more than what the arguments were worth. I remember it being at the point where any seven point vote was considered (rightfully so most of the time) to be a vote bomb, which is ridiculous if you think about it. The only people who filled out the entire ballot typically had malicious intent 

My opinion is that if the conduct is sufficiently bad it should warrant a loss of the debate, but I don’t really have a problem keeping it either
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
I have a problem with keeping conduct as well. Like Thett points out, if conduct is sufficiently bad, it should warrant a loss. 

DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@thett3
@Tejretics
I promised you people that we'll think about the voting system, just give me some time to finish some other basic things before we jump into it. And thett3, mind you language, especially when you are creating topics. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@thett3
I support a dual system, as there was on DDO.
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@DebateArt.com
And thett3, mind you language, especially when you are creating topics. 

The Code of Conduct says that profanity is only a rule violation when there's no symbol to replace any letter in the word. 

"The use of profanity without asterisks or similar non-letters replacing the majority of the letters in the word is a minor offense and is discouraged."

I assume, therefore, that this was an informal objection, rather than a formal one in your power as DART owner. 

I promised you people that we'll think about the voting system, just give me some time to finish some other basic things before we jump into it.
Thanks. :) 
thett3
thett3
-->
@DebateArt.com
"I promised you people that we'll think about the voting system, just give me some time to finish some other basic things before we jump into it." 

Yeah I get you have a lot on your plate, but put me down as someone who very strongly believes that there is no justification for a multi category voting system

"And thett3, mind you language, especially when you are creating topics."

I mean, I feel like you should be admonishing me for misspelling "Grammar" but okay

also how do you quote people?
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@thett3
The reply with quote function hasn’t been implemented yet. For now just copy and paste the text and use the quote box 
thett3
thett3
-->
@David
The reply with quote function hasn’t been implemented yet. For now just copy and paste the text and use the quote box 

Got it, cool cool thx

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@thett3
Sorry, that functionality is reserved for premium members.
Castin
Castin
-->
@thett3
on DDO back when people actually voted on debates
Tell me stories of these ancient times, Elder One. Is it true the desert was once green and verdant, and water fell from the sky?
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
My two cents: If S&G remains a weighted category, it should be changed to "presentation." This is an intentional expansion of the focus, to account for the various visual sides to how an argument is organized. Basically if one side uses a wall of text, along with horrid spelling, and the other has clean headings, images, organized links, and so on... I think we all appreciate when a voter puts that effort in, making at least half the debate easy to read. (and yeah, I pretty much think sources themselves should be dropped; point inclusion of it often causes source spamming rather than sources of value)

The earlier any changes to the voting system are done, the less problems there should be in any retraining later. I'd suggest starting a focus group (forums here would be fine for that), to try to figure out what the ideal ballot would be, rather than arbitrarily copying what's been done before... Even if using a categorical system, there's no reason to assume the weights and categories were done the best way previously.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
Yes, we will definitely discuss it. I am working on the debates section now and after I have implemented some minor changes and fixes, I'll get to working on the voting system and we will decide what should be there. Many people raised the issue with the voting system so that's on the list of changes.