Author: David

Archived
Read-only
Total: 22
David
Debates: 91
David
Greetings, everyone!

I wanted to update you guys on a few things that are going on behind the scenes. I have not been able to get a hold of PressF4Respect. As such, drafterman will be taking his place and is being promoted to forum moderator. Please welcome him to the team! That being said, SupaDudz will be announcing the new discord assistant mod soon.

Next, we are currently working to revise and expand the Code of Conduct to make it easier to understand and digest. One thing that we are considering is splicing it up into three sections under the umbrella "terms of service." If you look at that page, you will see exactly what we mean. The only text that has changed is adding a link to the moderator's profile and a statement that you must be at least 13 years of age to join our site in compliance with COPPA. We would like some feedback for this change

I would now like to open up a discussion on what you would like to see changed in the COC and what changes you would like to see the moderation team make. 

Regards,

Virtuoso
-Chief Moderator

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
Congratulations!
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
More earned than the vote mod position of Christopher_Best, for certain.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
Did COPPA actually contact you guys, or are you being proactive?
David
David
-->
@Lunatic
Did COPPA actually contact you guys, or are you being proactive?
Excellent question. We are just being proactive and making clear that you must be at least 13.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
It's a legal Act, the A doesn't stand for Association.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Drafterman is an excellent addition. He is intelligent and level-headed. I'm glad he agreed to contribute. The mod team, already good, is now even better.
David
David
-->
@ethang5
Drafterman is an excellent addition. He is intelligent and level-headed. I'm glad he agreed to contribute. The mod team is now even better.
Thank you, ethang. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Demoted from Assistant Discord Mod to Forum Mod
Vader
Vader
Just kidding lol. Welcome Drafter
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@David
I don't think there should be an age restriction to DART.

David
David
-->
@Alec
It’s not my decision. That’s what the law states. 
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@David
I think COPPA only has some restrictions for websites that allow people below 13 to be on it.  The thing is, should DART meet those restrictions to expand who can be on our site?  I don't know, I would have to see what the restrictions are. 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Alec
It is arguable as to whether or not COPPA applies to DART.

However, DART's staff of knowledgeable legal counsel is probably wanting, so rather than hire someone to dig through arcane US legal code to see if it really applies, risk getting that determination wrong, and implement necessary restrictions if it does apply, a blanket minimum age limit is the most practical course of action in this situation.
David
David
-->
@drafterman
It is arguable as to whether or not COPPA applies to DART.

However, DART's staff of knowledgeable legal counsel is probably wanting, so rather than hire someone to dig through arcane US legal code to see if it really applies, risk getting that determination wrong, and implement necessary restrictions if it does apply, a blanket minimum age limit is the most practical course of action in this situation.

<br>
Pretty much this. Plus I feel there needs to be at least some level of maturity on the site. 13 I think is a good age limit. 
coal
coal
I quote the great philosophers, NWA...

Vader
Vader
-->
@coal
Fuck tha moderation coming straight from the DDO
A young debater got it bad cause im young
And they believe they have the authority
To ban the whole majority
coal
coal
-->
@Vader
F

pojenciwfjnwirfncpfjd cpdj efdjc efpjcnefpijc (because I have to have three characters)
Vader
Vader
-->
@coal

13 days later

Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@David
I thought COPPA just meant you can't collect data on children? How exactly is it illegal to have children use this site?

Also, aren't children going to just lie about their age and say their 13 to get on this site?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Christen
COPPA applies to sites that either are directed to children under 13 or know that children under 13 use their site and collect specific information from those children. If you are such a site, then you are required to make notifications and gain parent consent and other requirements.

Rather than jump through these hoops and potentially be held liable for failing to meet COPPA requirements, you can simply ban the site from 13 year olds. This means it doesn't have to worry about meeting these requirements. Children can lie about their age, sure, but COPPA only applies when the site knows that a user is under 13. In such a case, the TOS of the site can be leveraged to ban them.
David
David
Moving this to the archives.