Corona Virus

Author: WaterPhoenix

Total: 13
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
I don't know why this isn't already a thread. This is pretty big stuffs.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
For all of you that don't know, some new virus is in China and it might like spread or something. The world is a giant plague inc. game.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Betting a lot of money it's spreading because of the air pollution. Something got in bc of that trash air quality and it's affecting population. China needs to learn to go green soon
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
it might like spread or something.

Best description of a virus that I have ever read.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Looks like it spread from bats.  17 deaths out of 443 cases suggests a 4% mortality rate- a whole lot better than previously contained Chinese corornaviruses like MERS (35% mortality) and SARS.

Right now, we have 7.5 billion people on a planet with a maximum human carrying capacity of 2 billion.  Biological history suggests that some mass die off is more or less inevitable as the number of potential disease vectors increases relative to population.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@oromagi
with a maximum human carrying capacity of 2 billion.

I remember reading somwhere (don't ask where, too long ago to remember) that the max carrying capacity of Earth for hunter-gatherer humans is about 500-750 million. Do you happen to recall whether this 2 billion figure based on hunter-gathering humans too and if so where you got it from? I am interested in reading more on the topic.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Thank you.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Vader
I don't know I thought it was like animal to human and like human to human or something. But yeah, they probably should
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
honestly, that's a number I quote fairly often & I have no recollection where I picked it up from.  Probably some podcast like Science Friday or Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.

A quick scan of Wikipedia reveals that number is all over the place:

"Many quantitative studies have estimated the world's carrying capacity for humans, that is, a limit to the world population.  A meta-analysis of 69 such studies suggests a point estimate of the limit to be 7.7 billion people, while lower and upper meta-bounds for current technology are estimated as 0.65 and 98 billion people, respectively. They conclude: "recent predictions of stabilized world population levels for 2050 exceed several of our meta-estimates of a world population limit"
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@oromagi
I have no recollection where I picked it up from

Yeah okay like I said same with me lol.

53 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Well ig WaterPhoenix was correct
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
one time where my insane intellectual genius wasn't a good thing. welp at least they cancelled school.
Jaxalton
Debates: 0
Jaxalton
-->
@WaterPhoenix
What a lot of people don't realize is that the Coronavirus can kill mostly really old people and those with pre-existing conditions.

I know this may sound hard but you can't help thinking that someone up there is trying to reduce the population of oldies and obsessively sick people who are becoming a burden on the health system.