Poll - American Racism

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 41
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I have been meaning to do this poll for well over two years now but the poll section of DDO has always been shit and it looks like this site will not have one any time soon so I'll just make it in the forums. There will be three yes-or-no questions asked, please answer all or none of them. The originally planned version would have had eight options representing the eight possible answer combinations. The questions are as follows:

1) Were you raised in the United States?

2) If yes to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) period of time living outside the United States? If no to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) living inside the United States?

3) Do you believe that American society is - on average - more racist than the rest of the world?

An example of a well formatted answer would be the following:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No

Additional details (optional)
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
  1. Somewhat
  2. Yes/Yes
  3. No
Raised in Canada first, then the US as a teenager. Who I am today, was largely formed in Iraq.

The USA is unlikely to be the least racist country, but it does fairly well compared to my experiences elsewhere. Of course, in any wide area there's going to be concentrated pockets of such problems.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Yes
Yes
No
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
No/Yes (Depending)
Yes
No

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Lived in Greece for a 1/2 a year
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
1. Yes
2. No
3. Somewhat

I believe we are probably average on racism. Decent amount of anti-white/anti-minority racism here, but I feel like it is inflated by the media, in addition to fake hate crimes and justified police shootings that are lied about. That kind of alters the perception beyond reality.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
1.  Yes
2.  No
3.  No

The US and Argentina are probably the most racist nations in the Western Hemisphere but the Eastern Hemisphere- where nationality and race were more often one idea historically is more racist. China, Japan are profoundly racist. Europe and Russia are more racist.  (Brexit is essentially a racist impulse). Most present int’l conflicts are explicitly racist or have a strong racist element: Congo, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia vs Iran is largely Arab vs Persian. 

It is a tricky question because race and racist are such loaded fungible concepts
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
the only place I have been outside of america is ireland, so America is the most-racist one but I don't think it's a racist society
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
1) Yes

2) No

3) Somewhat

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) No.  In China, they won't let you immigrate unless your ethnically Chinese or marrying a chinese person.  Same with many Asian countries.  The EU is about the same as the US and the Tasman countries(AUS and NZ).  I don't know any societies less racist than the west.  I mean, we have the more minorities on a continental basis than the rest of the world combined.  There are more Asians in the west than there are westerners in Asia and the same for Africa.
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
1,No
2,No
3,No
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts

2) If yes to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) period of time living outside the United States? If no to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) living inside the United States?

3) Do you believe that American society is - on average - more racist than the rest of the world?
1) for most of my childhood, yes (but not all)
2) yes
3) No

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
Mharman
Mharman
What is the purpose of this poll? Just curiosity?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mharman
What is the purpose of this poll?

Like I said the idea came to me a few years ago on DDO. At the time racism in America was a pretty common debate topic.

I was living in Romania at the time. It was uncommon but not unheard of (and also perfectly legal) for myself and my fellows going out into town to be refused service in some places for no reason other than the fact that one or more members of our group was black or Asian, something that was understandably unexpected among myself and my comrades since most of us had spent most of our lives in America where such a thing would never even be thought of today.

I had a hypothesis that most people who thought America was particularly racist probably thought so either because they had never lived outside the US and seen how actually racist many other countries are or because they had never lived in the US and only knew about Americas supposed racism problem through exaggerations and outright lies over the internet and other media. The purpose of this poll would have been to test that hypothesis.

It seems that I am a bit late, however, as the "America is racist af" fad appears to have died down in the years since I came up with this idea.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Interesting. I did not know those things happened sometimes in Romania.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mharman
They don't have a lot of blacks or Asians like we do. They mostly only have whites. The businesses near tourist centers were all pretty chill but when we went exploring the slummier parts of the nearby cities they were just not used to seeing non-whities I guess. Still even then was rare for it to actually become a problem but not unheard of.

29 days later

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Additional to 1: Born and raised, and have resided for a minimum of 4 years in 4 States from west coast to east coast. Further, my ancestry in America dates to 1625 of European [French, Scot] stock.

Additional to 2: I have been in 31 countries for a minimum stay of 4 days, and in 13 for durations of minimum 90 days, consecutive.

302 days later

Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
1) A bit
2) Yes and Yes
3) No

97 days later

Nevets
Debates: 35
Nevets
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
(1) no
(2) no
(3) yes
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes.
No.
No.

It seems that I am a bit late, however, as the "America is racist af" fad appears to have died down in the years since I came up with this idea.
I think that fad is stronger than ever in some people.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. To be determined
Now see- three is tricky -because you'd have to account for the highs and the lows- not just an example of like one super racist country - because there are also other countries which are really good about stopping racism before it starts. Now, if you were to ask: "Do you believe that America is more racists than other countries on average?" this would be a lot simpler because most the average would work out differently - thats a global rate versus a national rate - and more accurate as well. So I'll abstain from answering the last question until there is a quantitative way of measuring racism. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
please answer all or none of them
Only question 3 is an actual debatable question and this is a website I use to debate.

Do you believe that American society is - on average - more racist than the rest of the world?
No. This is because of a few reasons. America is such a huge society in the first place, compared to most nations, that it has more range even within itself such as the average southern-State resident is more racist as are the institutions there, than the Northern or Western ones (America's 'east coast' seems to come under its North for some reason and its West does too even though California is actually in the SouthWest, it counts as West).

That's just the first reason. The other reason is that America was so unbelievably racist and brutal to the race it held inferior that it had the same bounceback against racism as Germany had post-Nazis. Unlike, Oromagi, I know that the Japanese are not racist much anymore. In fact, Japan and South Korea are so close to non-racist social democracies that it is fascinating how racist and harsh China and North Korea are in comparison (given the proximity).

As for the past, Japan was probably the most racist of the East Asian nations and cultures. The Samurai were even ethocentric racist meaning they thought the Samurai lineages were inherently superior bloodlines to the rest of Japan's bloodlines and within Samurai bloodlines deep rivalries between distantly related bloodlines happened often, even siblings did especially if there were times when it wasn't clear who was the father of a certain concubine (wives were off limits for other men but the concubines a Samurai cheated with were not, so the same Concubine at times had two Samurais inseminate her).

The Middle East and Islamic nations in general are extremely ethnocentric. This is also the case for severe Christian nations, such as Russia, Uganda and Honduras. Racism doesn't tend to mean what Americans think it means always. For instance, in Sri Lanka, there was systemic racism but both ethnicities involved were brown-Asian (Sinhala/Sinhalese and Tamils). The issue with this is that you can't go around thinking racism is only white-on-black if you analyse it worldwide. The reason it is indeed that in America is that Caucasians have been unfairly superior there ever since the brutal invasion and pillaging done to the natives through to now.

So, since America is more open about its racist attitudes and has variation inside it, it isn't the most racist nation whatsoever. It's actually one of the most actively fighting against its racism at present, which is a great thing to see.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
1)Yes
2)No
3)How would I know?  I haven't ever escaped North America, and only spent a few days in Canada.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
You replied to me but this isn't my thread xD
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
My bad.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
1)Yes
2)No
3)How would I know?  I haven't ever escaped North America, and only spent a few days in Canada.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Ireland's never really been a shining example of tolerance. 

You can't even trust Leprechauns......Devious little so and so's.

Top of the morning to ya Doc.

Undefeatable
Debates: 64
Undefeatable
1 yes
2 yes
3 not really
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
1.Yes
2.No
3.No

I would have answered differently before BLM but the fact it because a global issues says we are not.