Why Do Christians Hate Gays?

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 140
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
Christians have often uttered the adage, "We don't hate homosexuals. We just hate what they do".

Such a dictum has no weight to it since homosexuals are no different from heterosexuals in what they do. In any case, isn't "we just hate what they do" no more than a euphemism for saying "we hate them"?

If we take a look at the Bible we can see where Christians get their mandate to hate homosexuals. The book of Leviticus states that "it is an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman."
But then, the same chapter tells Christians (men) not to cut their hair.
Do we see many Christian homophobes wearing long hair as well? 

Which brings us to the word "homophobic".

Here we can get a good insight as to why Christians are so hateful.
As with any phobia, homophobia is a fear of homosexuals.
Experts will tell us that the key cause of fear is ignorance or lack of knowledge (of what is feared). This is born out by the saying that the greatest fear is the fear of fear itself.

All Christian institutions urge their followers to shun any information (for example, scientific publications) that contradicts their beliefs and even promote the idea that followers should not associate or do business with others outside their circle.

Is it not fair to say then that Christians hate gays for no other reason than ignorance?

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Salixes
Old testament law. And, don't Matthew 5:18 me on that.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Salixes
I suspect some Christians hate that which homosexuals do because their sexual activity has no reproductive utility. Some Christians also condemn premarital sex, pedophilia and fornication, sexuality notwithstanding.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Athias
There are examples of sexual behaviors with no reproductive utility that are not condemned and examples of sexual behaviors with reproductive utility that are condemned so it can't possibly be that simple.

Dynasty's response (that the reason homosexuality is condemned is because it is specifically forbidden by god in the old testament) makes much more sense.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Salixes
Christians reject the supposition that a person must choose to do what is sinful. Consequently, they reject the supposition that a person is defined from birth by a particular sin. Therefore they do not consider that there is such a category of person as "gay", "lesbian", "bisexual", or "transsexual" to hate or discriminate against.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
There are examples of sexual behaviors with no reproductive utility that are not condemned and examples of sexual behaviors with reproductive utility that are condemned so it can't possibly be that simple.
No, you mean sexual acts that produce no reproductive utility such as sodomy, which is also condemned by some Christians. Homosexual activity never produces reproductive utility. So if we take the initial posit and scrutinize, "do they hate homosexuals or homosexuality?" the latter would make more sense with respect to that which they condemn. If they were "hated" for their capacity outside of reproduction, one would presume they'd be murdered rather than subject to conversion therapies and prayer.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Athias
you mean sexual acts that produce no reproductive utility such as sodomy, which is also condemned by some Christians.

I was actually referring to things like old people sex and relationships between infertile couples.

You are the one that brought up sodomy, not me. Freudian slip?

In the future you can ask a person to clarify what they meant if their meaning is unclear to you.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Dynasty
Good one there.

The point I'm making is that Christians have a habit of cherry-picking rules from the Bible (even the NT) to suit their own preconceptions or phobias.

For example, you will find references to "going after strange flesh" and Jesus preaching marriage only between opposites sexes in the New Testament. Christians latch onto that one and suck it for all its worth but when it comes to:

Gouge out your eyeball:  (Matthew 5:29)
I don't think you will find many homophobes who have ripped out an eye for looking at a woman.

Aside from the subject though, is a rule completely at odds with itself:

Do not give heed to fables (1.TIM 1:4)
To my mind, such a dictum is telling the reader "don't believe anything in this book".

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Athias
I agree that there would be some Christians who hate homosexuality because of the inability to reproduce.
But if you ask the same Christians whether they hate an infertile heterosexual couple, you would get a different answer.

I suspect that the excuse of inability to reproduce is just a front to hiding their true reason; ignorance.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
And (supposedly) condemned by God for no reason than God says so which is reason enough for Christians.

Yet do we see the same people wearing clothes of one fabric or not cutting their hair (as God has condemned)?

No, we don't, with few exceptions that is.

This leads one to conclude that Christians will only select the dos and don'ts from the Bible that fit in with their preconceptions.
Homophobia is one of them.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Salixes
I agree that there would be some Christians who hate homosexuality because of the inability to reproduce.
But if you ask the same Christians whether they hate an infertile heterosexual couple, you would get a different answer.
Infertile couples [usually] aren't responsible for their infertility/sterility. Homosexuals are responsible for their homosexual activity. That's the difference.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Swagnarok
Whether or not a homosexual is so by choice or through genes or social conditions, Christians call homosexuality a sin and a perversion. Call it by any classification, gay, lesbian, transexual, Christians hate gays and your reasoning falls way short of explaining otherwise.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Athias
Have you made an in-depth study that concludes why infertile heterosexual couples are infertile?
Have you considered that many could be due to frigidity, in which case it is their fault?

Have you considered also that probably most gays are so, not by choice but because they were born that way?

Yes, you are right. Homosexuals are responsible for their own homosexual activity.
And heterosexuals are responsible for their own heterosexual activity.

I am asking, "so what"?

Especially given that there is no difference between what homosexuals heterosexuals do.

This brings me to the illustration that I made; Christians are known to claim "we don't hate what they are, we hate what they do".
 Christians vehemently hate homosexuals for no other valid reason other than ignorance.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Athias
Infertile couples [usually] aren't responsible for their infertility/sterility. That's the difference.

It's immoral to get a vasectomy then?

Is old person sex immoral?
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Salixes

Salixes,

YOUR CANDY ASSED QUOTE IN LEVITCUS: " The book of Leviticus states that "it is an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman."

Instead of using the weak post about homosexuals that you used, why don't you use the more revealing one that was inspired by Jesus as well, to wit: "If a man also lie with mankind, As he lieth with a woman, Both of them have committed an abomination: THEY SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH; THEIR BLOOD SHALL BE UPON THEM. " (Leviticus 20:13)

Ouch!  Oh, and there're many New Testament instructions about the way Jesus thinks about the homosexual equal to the above passage.

Do you see why I keep stating that it is so hard to be a TRUE Christian in the 21st century with passages like the above coming forth, and then we have to "try" and defend them?! Damn.

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Dynasty

Dynasty,

YOUR REVEALING QUOTE: "Old testament law. And, don't Matthew 5:18 me on that."

Oh, but the TRUE Christian like myself has to point out this passage that reveals Jesus stating that the earth and Heavens have to pass away first and foremost before the Old Laws are removed, like Leviticus 20:13!  " For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Matthew 5:18)

DYNASTY, ARE YOU CALLING JESUS A LIAR IN HIS ABOVE PASSAGE AT HIS SERMON ON THE MOUNT?!

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
Homosexuality along with all forms of sexual immorality are symptoms of idolatry. Therefore it is not appropriate for a Christian to practice these things.

People who make their sexual behavior a matter of personal identity don't understand that they are demeaning themselves.

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Don't Matthew 5:18 me on that.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Dynasty

Dynasty,

YOUR QUOTE RUNNING AWAY: "Don't Matthew 5:18 me on that."

DYNASTY, ARE YOU CALLING JESUS A LIAR IN HIS ABOVE PASSAGE AT HIS SERMON ON THE MOUNT?!

Grandmaster12
Grandmaster12
Hi guys I'm  a Orthodox Jew. I could take a potshot at Christians for cherry picking the bible. But  I am going to defend them anyway.

1 You must remember that Christians believe in a soul. Therefore ejaculating is not just a act of pleasure it also summons a soul (if you believe in souls then this logically follows). According to kabbalah (I forgot which pope who said that kabbalah is a christian science) the soul that would have been born from the ejaculation gets stranded down here without a body which is incredibly painful for the unlucky soul. Now you might argue what about ejaculation in a infertile woman. This is why Christians (and for that matter lots of other religions) make marriage such a sacred event. Marriage by Gods will recycles any potential stranded souls.

2 It May  be  true that some people have a propensity to homosexuality, but this does not excuse them anymore then someone who murders because he was born with a bad temper. A propensity does not mean one must give in to ones instincts.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
homosexuals are no different from heterosexuals in what they do. 
Then why use different words for them?

The book of Leviticus states that "it is an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman."
Is this about who they are or what they do?

Is it not fair to say then that Christians hate gays for no other reason than ignorance?
It's not fair. It's actually also dishonest. Christians do not hate, and your example was about what they do, not who they are.

And if ignorance, ignorance of what? You do not personally think homosexuality is a sin, that is fine, but it is a lie to say homosexuality is the "same thing" as heterosexuality.

But then, the same chapter tells Christians (men) not to cut their hair
There were no Christians during the time of Lev.

You have not established that Christians hate homosexuals. And you have not shown them ignorant of anything but your bias.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Grandmaster12
I think that maybe you have a propensity for hating homosexuals for no valid reason.
Can you explain what it is that homosexuals should be excused from?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Whether or not Christians defend passages from the Bible is beside the point.
The point being is that Christians use passages from the Bible to justify their hatreds due to ignorance.
It is just not good enough to state that "the Bible says so" to one situation yet ignore what the Bible says about another situation.

Do you think it appropriate to defend the act of severing a woman's hand if she intervened in a fight between two men?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
What is it about homosexuality that classifies it "along with all forms of sexual immorality".
Are you inferring somehow that homosexuality is immoral?
And, if so, apart from out of sheer ignorance, what reason do you have for making such an erroneous judgment? 
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5
Do you think that homosexuals do anything different from heterosexuals?
And if so, what is it?
And what is it that makes Christians hate homosexuals?

I have clearly established that there is distinct hatred from Christians, I think perhaps you should re-read my opening and subsequent posts to refresh your memory.

Also, Christians forbid marriage between homosexuals and forbid membership of homosexuals. They also shun association by their followers with homosexuals.
If that doesn't constitute more than a modicum of hatred then perhaps you could explain what does.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5
I also picked up another mistake you made.
"And you have not shown them ignorant of anything but your bias."

I clearly showed in my opening post:
"Here we can get a good insight as to why Christians are so hateful.
As with any phobia, homophobia is a fear of homosexuals.
Experts will tell us that the key cause of fear is ignorance or lack of knowledge (of what is feared)."

"They" are homophobic, in other words, "they" fear homosexuals and their fear is due to ignorance of or predetermined (inaccurate) judgments of homosexuals.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I was actually referring to things like old people sex and relationships between infertile couples.
Old people can still reproduce (though it's not typical that they do) and infertile couples (usually) aren't responsible for their infertility--i.e. their sexuality in and of itself is not conducive to the lack of reproduction.

You are the one that brought up sodomy, not me. Freudian slip?
It's not a "Freudian slip." I intentionally and with my full faculties responded with sodomy. Do you know what sodomy is?

In the future you can ask a person to clarify what they meant if their meaning is unclear to you.
Or you can clarify in the very beginning, facilitating less ambiguity and a more speedy discussion.

It's immoral to get a vasectomy then?
Non sequitur.

Is old person sex immoral?
Non sequitur.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Salixes
Have you made an in-depth study that concludes why infertile heterosexual couples are infertile?
No. I've read some.

Have you considered that many could be due to frigidity, in which case it is their fault?
What relation is there between frigidity and infertility?

Have you considered also that probably most gays are so, not by choice but because they were born that way?
Irrelevant.

Yes, you are right. Homosexuals are responsible for their own homosexual activity.
So why the contradiction?

And heterosexuals are responsible for their own heterosexual activity.
Naturally.

I am asking, "so what"?
I've already stated as much: heterosexuality has reproductive utility; homosexuality doesn't.

Especially given that there is no difference between what homosexuals heterosexuals do.
Yes, there very much is. Homosexuals engage in sodomy during homosexual contact. Heterosexuals can engage in sodomy, but unlike homosexual sex, they can engage in coitus.

This brings me to the illustration that I made; Christians are known to claim "we don't hate what they are, we hate what they do".
 Christians vehemently hate homosexuals for no other valid reason other than ignorance.
When did "hating" something or someone require a "valid" reason? And I don't believe "hate" is an apt term. Reject is better.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
homosexuality is not something to brag about, I don't think it should be illegal though, but if your gay, you need a personality outside of just your sexuality
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
You remind me of Linate.

I think I can dismiss you as a person not sincerely willing to communicate. You keep dodging my questions and asking more of your own.

Since you aren't interested in a dialog, at least with me, when I respond I will be responding to the subject and not you.

We debate reality here, not your personal opinion. God doesn't need your approval to deem something sin.

Christians forbid things for Christians, they do not forbid others from what they themselves want, even God doesn't do that.

Christians have principles and a Boss. No hate is needed. You would not allow your child to associate with certain people, like with what you would call poor character, or who are infectious.

You are a liberal snowflake and call that hate. It isn't hate because you call it hate. It is appropriate selectivity. You are just biased and have a morality based on pleasure.

You also have a cartoonish understanding of Christians. Your questions and arguments can only advance if your cartoonish caricature is validated.

I am a Christian telling you I do not hate homosexuals, you insist that I do, as if you know me better than I know myself. Why? Because to you, your sophomoric idea of a Christian must be correct, and you will reject any nuance or complexity.

My long experience on the net tells me you get your information third-hand from an atheist website. You don't really know the bible or Christian doctrine.

Your excuse may be that you're young, but youth will not excuse ignorance for long. The world is bigger than the little liberal, progressive enclave you frequent.