Top 5 Game of Throne Moments

Author: ethang5

Total: 22
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
#5. Father Dear
When Tyrion catches his father with his beloved. He kills her with a crossbow, and then finds his father in the john on the potty. They have a conversation, Tyrion holding the crossbow, and his father sitting on the potty. Tyrion shoots him, and he exclaims in wonder, “You shot me!” Tyrion shoots him again. Though in sadness and regret, his face is slack. Expressionless. Stellar TV.

#4. Imp Slap
When Tyrion multi slaps that moron Joffery, just as he is jerk-sailing on irritating impudence. This is the kind of great writing that makes you understand what TV could be. My God, that was emotionally satisfying TV!

#3. Speechless
When Little Finger tries to get smart with Cersei by saying smugly, that “Knowledge is power.”, Cersei corrects him powerfully, leaving him unable to breathe, and with that great line, “Power is power”. Spine tingling TV.

#2. Dragon Barbecue
When Drogon comes to Dany's rescue during the Harpy attack that looks like it's over for Dany. I was cheering, amazed that roasting people could be so much fun. With her mounting the dragon and flying into the sunset was an awesome topper to an awesome sequence.

#1. Flaying House Fray
After Arya eviscerates Lord Fray and all his male kin, avenging house Stark, in the quiet that can only come from unleashed death, Arya tells the lone survivor, almost whispering, “When they ask you what happened here, tell them,……. Winter came for house Fray.” My skin was tingling with goosebumps. It was simply epic.

The show has a hundred more great moments. TV without equal.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Sorry, any list without the Mountain crushing Oberyn's skull isn't valid.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@drafterman
That was indeed awesome. But because we were rooting for Oberyn to win, it wasn't so emotionally satisfying. But the debt was paid in full with the Mountain turning out to be so epic as Cersei's zombie bodyguard.

Bonus Epic Moment!

When Euron Grayjoy was bragging about his love for Cersei, he casually takes a step up the few stairs towards Cersei on the Iron throne, and the Mountain immediately starts to intercept him. He glances and stops. Cersei gets a tiny self satisfied smile. Euron eases back down the few stairs. The Mountain returns the few inches to his spot.

All this happens in only about 3 seconds, but the menace is clear. The Mountain's zombie-like dedication to Cersei is unquestioned. This is beautiful, subtle TV. Just beautiful.
ethang5
ethang5
GoT has won best drama for the 3rd year in a row. Anyone who has watched it knows why.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@ethang5
Yeah. Boobs.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@drafterman
In don't care what you say, those boobs could act.

20 days later

Aporia
Debates: 2
Aporia
-->
@ethang5
Listed five of my top scenes/events from the books that either weren't included or were radically changed in the TV series. Hard to leave out things like the Kingsmoot, the Stannis/Renly parlay, and the Stoneheart reveal but this shtt is still hot imo.

•Alys Karstark's marriage to the Magnar of Thenn at The Wall. Probably the most beautifully written chapter of the last book (maybe the series). Shows the narrative vision Martin has been pushing throughout the series regarding the Northerners and the Wildlings and allows Jon to bring something beautiful to fruition even in his disappointment that the "pale girl on a dying horse" wasn't his sister Arya after all.

•Theon's introductory chapter as Reek and later his escape with Jeyne Poole. His entire arc in Dance with Dragons is great but the first and last are standouts among standouts. Makes the show's cheap portrayal of his arc appear both base and impotent by comparison through its course depiction of his torture and inability to allow any action to remain off screen (a choice of Martin's which paid off immensely imo).

•Jon connington and Aegon landing in Westeros and retaking Griffin's Roost. Highly emotional reunion for Connington to his former home and I'm looking forward to how this plays out in Winds of Winter now that we know they're on their way to attack Storm's End with Arianne Martell joining as an envoy from Dorne.

•Littlefinger's reveal of his plan to marry Sansa (Alayne) off to Harry "The Heir" Hardying. Both pushes things forward narratively as it shows his true motivations re: smugging Sansa from KL and brings fully to light her tension in playing her role as "Alayne". Recognizing herself as a pawn while simultaneously learning to be a player in her own right.

•Asha Greyjoy's experiences and character development after her capture by Stannis at Deepwood Motte. Not a single chapter or incident but her role in the latter half of ADWD shows her connecting with the Other (a Mormont) and beginning to grow out of her deep seated Iron Island ideology. Snappy dialogue and some seemingly early payoff in her revealed dialogue in Theon's released "Winds of Winter" chaper.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Aporia
You have a good eye for the subtlies of the show. You like the books better don't you?
Aporia
Aporia
-->
@ethang5
It's funny I was initially a show watcher and didn't consider reading the books until I was waiting in between seasons. I think between 5 and 6. After I read the books it was over. It happened to coincide with (imo) the complete breakdown of the show from a writing perspective.
ethang5
ethang5
So you think reading the books are worth it even if you've watched the show?
Aporia
Aporia
-->
@ethang5
Definitely. The first three books and the show are also similar enough to make reading through 1,000 page books not too intimidating. The last two books are where they diverge entirely but I think they're superior to the show.

151 days later

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
5. Hold the Door

4. The Battle of the Bastards

3. The Battle of HardHome

2. The Purple Wedding Pantomime 

1. The Battle of Gold Road

64 days later

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Only one more episode. It's sad but the last season is feeling rushed and flat. Guess it 's time. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
5. Jon Snow
4. Eddard Stark
3. Oberyn Martell
2. Tywin Lannister
1. Tyrion Lannister

183 days later

ethang5
ethang5
Yeah.

Hodor was sad. And noble. I had a tear.

I doubt I'll see TV this good again before I die.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
1. Eddard Stark's death: this set the tone for the series.

2. Hatching of the Dragons: this is tantamount to the creation of three nuclear bombs for a world which hasn't seen them in centuries.

3. Robb and Catelyn Stark's death: defeated idealistic delusions of typical medieval fairy tales.

4. Hardhome: the first real battle between the living and the dead which was to tease a climactic future event.

5. Arya Stark's killing of the Night King: demonstrated that the writers no longer had any commitment to conveying a cogent plot.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Athias
My opinion of your intelligence just went up so fast, I almost got whiplash. You were dead on.

1. Eddard Stark's death: this set the tone for the series.
That totally fooled me. I was completely certain he would not die. That was the moment I was truly hooked.

2. Hatching of the Dragons: this is tantamount to the creation of three nuclear bombs for a world which hasn't seen them in centuries.
Dany. Nuff said.

3. Robb and Catelyn Stark's death: defeated idealistic delusions of typical medieval fairy tales. 
That was traumatic.

4. Hardhome: the first real battle between the living and the dead which was to tease a climactic future event.
The cinematography was unbelievable.

5. Arya Stark's killing of the Night King: demonstrated that the writers no longer had any commitment to conveying a cogent plot. 
Yeah. They had lost that commitment by the end of season 7. But the show was so awesome, there was loads of space between it and not good anymore.

I'm so impressed by your thoughts, please recommend something I should watch you think was very good. Do you have any suggestions?

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ethang5
I don't watch much anymore--nothing new, at least. The most recent program I've watched was "The Boys" an amazon prime series based on comics of the same name. Despite its feminist narratives, it was a fairly decent adaptation.

I've also taken a liking to NBC's "The Good Place."

One show that I sort of anticipating is "Wheel of Time," based on a series of the same name by Robert Jordan. But as of yet, there's no prospective release date.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Athias
Despite its feminist narratives, it was a fairly decent adaptation. 
I'll pass. That feminist crap spoils the story for me.

I don't watch much anymore--nothing new, at least.
It didn't have to be new, just good. I've been out of the US so I've missed a lot.

I've also taken a liking to NBC's "The Good Place." 

One show that I sort of anticipating is "Wheel of Time," based on a series of the same name by Robert Jordan. 
I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

9 days later

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@ethang5

The show has a hundred more great moments. TV without equal.

And all those great moments destroyed in seconds through the incapability of two jumped up twats who thought they could write better than the books. without nothing to go from George RR Martin and his imagination.

Martin though, should shoulder some of the blame for the abortion G of T turned out to be. he was off writhing 500 page novels, prequels and other books concerning individual characters from the original before completing A Song of Ice and Fire.
Millions of G of T fans invested their time and money into this once brilliant project only to be let down by a pair of retarded thickos without any imagination of their own and an author who went for the big bucks instead of finishing what he had hooked in millions to buy into.

It lost it midway through  season 4

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Very many people agree with you.

Would you not have gone for the money?

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
Would you not have gone for the money?

Not if I believed I owed my loyal fans an ending to the story of A Song of Ice and Fire. The last book - Winds of Winter has been promised every year since the ending of  the last book A Dance with Dragons.

As I have said,  loyal fans have invested time and money heavily in this project spending ££££$$$$$$millions in merchandising etc.