TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Explains why 1st amendment applies to people you do not agree with, even if you think their speech is hateful.

There are either gatekeepers for human thought, or there are none.
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
But you can be tolerant of intolerant people.

If a person says they are intolerant of something, and you do not call for them to be censored or banned or whatever, and you allow them to talk about how intolerant they are without violating their First Amendment right, you are being tolerant.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
I don’t believe that it is necessary that the intolerant will overpower the tolerant, so long as we have our Second Amendment 😎
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
The military is fond of saying they protect and defend the constitution even if it means protecting the intolerant left.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
We shall be as tolerant as lefties have historically been. Gulags, anyone?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
Explains why 1st amendment applies to people you do not agree with, even if you think their speech is hateful.
Loaded question and no the 1st amendment does not say that but you already knew that. I wonder why you even said this even though you knew the answer already.
There are either gatekeepers for human thought, or there are none.
I guess murderers are really thought-provoking to warrant not arresting them oh wait the government is intolerant of murderers. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Christen
But you can be tolerant of intolerant people.
Don't you see the problem with this? Do you tolerate someone trying to kill you? I don't think so.
If a person says they are intolerant of something, and you do not call for them to be censored or banned or whatever, and you allow them to talk about how intolerant they are without violating their First Amendment right, you are being tolerant.
Why have this restricted to speech? Even with this the law is not tolerant of someone shouting fire in a crowded theater when there is none or someone express their want for murder. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don’t believe that it is necessary that the intolerant will overpower the tolerant, so long as we have our Second Amendment 😎
The second amendment is not a God more so just words the US government chose to uphold. Without the US government protecting that it wouldn't be a thing. Freedom only goes so far and you will accept restrictions to this freedom for safety and convenience. Military, public maintenance etc. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Thought and application might be terms too ephemeral to a philosopher as yourself.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
Thought and application might be terms too ephemeral to a philosopher as yourself.
So you didn't have a point instead muh law and my thought experiment is not real. Great intellectual conversation.

I guess this is also an attack on philosophy even though everything can literally be attached to it? I guess when you don't trust the institutions you end up more lost than before. Who would've thought?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheRealNihilist
If the government tried to take people’s guns, you will notice that a lot of people will start “losing” them
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
It doesn't engage with what I said. You have rules, that is an infringement on freedom. 

Saying people will realize their freedom is lost with guns doesn't mean they are too stupid to realize they never had freedom in the first place. 
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Well, you are supposed to have some rules that prevent you from infringing others’ freedom. That is how you maximize freedom without anarchy.

As we are seeing in Virginia, people aren’t really willing to stand for infringements on their rights. Now, if they incrementally limit freedoms, people generally don’t notice and they do lose it.

This could get into some basic territory because I believe rights exist outside the government and the role of government is to enforce those rights. You seem to think rights only exist in government.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
Well, you are supposed to have some rules that prevent you from infringing others’ freedom. That is how you maximize freedom without anarchy.
Murder laws stop killers engaging in their freedom.
Rape laws stop rapists engaging in their freedom.
Theft laws stop thieves engaging in their freedom.

Need I go on?
As we are seeing in Virginia, people aren’t really willing to stand for infringements on their rights. Now, if they incrementally limit freedoms, people generally don’t notice and they do lose it.   
"too stupid to realize they never had freedom in the first place."
This could get into some basic territory because I believe rights exist outside the government and the role of government is to enforce those rights. You seem to think rights only exist in government.
I was speaking about freedom. Can you define it?

I'll take about rights as well, I require evidence of where these rights come from or it is conjecture. 
Mopac
Mopac
Tolerance is not a vortue.
Charity is.

Charity is superior to tolerance.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Murder laws stop killers engaging in their freedom.
Rape laws stop rapists engaging in their freedom.
Theft laws stop thieves engaging in their freedom.

Need I go on?
Lol dude. Did you not read what I said? I literally said: "Well, you are supposed to have some rules that prevent you from infringing others’ freedom. That is how you maximize freedom without anarchy." You quoted me as saying that, yet you are pretending that I am against the very rules I advocated for. Murder is an infringement on your rights, which limits freedom. Owning a gun doesn't infringe on anyone's rights or freedom in the same way that owning a car doesn't.

I was speaking about freedom. Can you define it?

I'll take about rights as well, I require evidence of where these rights come from or it is conjecture. 

Freedom includes protecting your rights. Do you believe that human rights exist, or are they just some construct that we randomly came up with?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
Murder is an infringement on your rights, which limits freedom.
Then it is not actually about freedom only about rights.
Freedom includes protecting your rights
No it doesn't. This is basically you adding in 1+1=2 means God exists. There is no link to freedom and protecting rights because they are antithetical to one another. Protection is a restriction. You are stopping people from doing something and maybe even restricting the very person who is being protected allowed to do. 

Can you define freedom or did you miss that question?
Do you believe that human rights exist, or are they just some construct that we randomly came up with?
What do you mean by exist and do have a better representation of the next option you gave or is that the best you can do?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Then it is not actually about freedom only about rights.

I shall repeat myself with different wording. Third time shall hopefully be the charm. To maximize freedom, there should be laws to prevent you from taking away others' freedom. Murdering someone takes away their freedom.

Freedom is defined as:
the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

Sure, you are restrained from "acting" when murder is illegal. But, by killing someone, they cannot "act, speak, or think" anymore because they are dead. Their freedom from being murdered is therefore more important than your freedom to murder. 

Thus, outlawing some things maximizes freedom.

No it doesn't. This is basically you adding in 1+1=2 means God exists. There is no link to freedom and protecting rights because they are antithetical to one another. Protection is a restriction. You are stopping people from doing something and maybe even restricting the very person who is being protected allowed to do. 
In order to maximizes freedom, as defined above, you must protect their rights. They have a right to life, and by protecting that right, you are also protecting their freedom. They are very much related.

What do you mean by exist and do have a better representation of the next option you gave or is that the best you can do?

Are rights something fabricated by the government, or do you believe that people innately have rights (such as to life) because they are human?

That was the best I could do by only putting in as much effort as you have been.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
I shall repeat myself with different wording. Third time shall hopefully be the charm. To maximize freedom, there should be laws to prevent you from taking away others' freedom. Murdering someone takes away their freedom.
Guess you are not for freedom. You are for rules which infringe on what people do. 
the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
Link to the dictionary?
They have a right to life, and by protecting that right, you are also protecting their freedom. They are very much related.
This is about rights and you deny it? You have rules which bound people's freedom but you make that exception as if freedom is when these people can't do these things.
Are rights something fabricated by the government, or do you believe that people innately have rights (such as to life) because they are human?
That was the best I could do by only putting in as much effort as you have been.
What is your definition of fabrication? 

triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@TheRealNihilist
What specific ideas do you not want to show tolerance for?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Guess you are not for freedom. You are for rules which infringe on what people do. 

Guess you are not for freedom. You want private individuals to infringe on others' freedoms.

Link to the dictionary?

This is about rights and you deny it? You have rules which bound people's freedom but you make that exception as if freedom is when these people can't do these things.
If your action inherently robs another person of their freedom, what do you do? Do you give the aggressor the freedom, or do you give the victim their freedom? These are mutually exclusive choices. You have much more freedom for the victim and slightly less for the aggressor if you outlaw murder. Therefore, there is more freedom in general than there would be if you didn't impose that law.

What is your definition of fabrication? 
I said "fabricated". Means "invent" or "create". Why do you keep asking me to look up basic vocabulary words?

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It's the law of self-contradiction. The only absolute is there are no absolutes. Which logically brings us to the conclusion that - absolutes do exist. 

Intolerance towards the intolerant is similar. An absurdity. Really it comes down to who is stronger and who is going to determine what the boundaries are going to be. Tolerance as an idea stems intrinsically from the Christian worldview - which started secularism. 

In modern secular society - tolerance is defined in according to the view that the only tolerant position is secular. All other positions and religious and political views are welcome so far as they subscribe to the secular definition. As the secular society moves more and more away from its Christian basis - the tensions of intolerance become more and more visible. 

Of course I would suggest that the modern form of secularism is more like an ancient position of polytheism much like the Romans and the Greeks had. 

Today people talk about inclusive sports or societies - yet they are intolerant to anyone who disagrees with inclusiveness. They never offer a solution - save and except - shame them, ridicule them etc. They just want them all to die. Or change and become like them. Its nothing less than a form of cultural genocide. I know that is a big call; but what else is it? Yet, any so called tolerant person would laugh at the suggestion. Why? Because they are actually not tolerant.

The irony of the tolerance movement is that it is far more intolerant than those who concede they are intolerant. I have been abused far more times by those practising tolerance than those who are so called intolerant. I have seen more people ridiculed, shamed, threats made to them, kicked out of groups, made to feel small, bullied all because they held to a different view - one that society has held to be correct for much longer than the current modern philosophy. 

Now for the record, I don't have a particular problem with tolerance - and even being intolerant to some intolerants. We need boundaries. But I will be intolerant towards those who are intolerant of the intolerant as a matter of principle. We can subscribe to different positions. Yet, because I hold to a view is not a reason for me to presumed to be less than a human. And this is what the modern position of tolerance has become. Anyone who does not subscribe is deemed non-human. 

Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
There is no paradox. When people speak of tolerance in political discourse it's often in reference to the tolerance of ethnic minorities (e.g. the "Museum of Tolerance") rather than tolerance in general. It's not paradoxical to advocate for tolerance of ethnic minorities while simultaneously being intolerant of racism and bigotry.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Tradesecret
It's the law of self-contradiction. The only absolute is there are no absolutes. Which logically brings us to the conclusion that - absolutes do exist. 
Thank you. At least someone understands.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Death23
When people speak of tolerance in political discourse it's often in reference to the tolerance of ethnic minorities (e.g. the "Museum of Tolerance") rather than tolerance in general. It's not paradoxical to advocate for tolerance of ethnic minorities while simultaneously being intolerant of racism and bigotry.
I wasn't using that definition. I was using the one when tolerance is without limit. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@triangle.128k
What specific ideas do you not want to show tolerance for?
The ideas don't matter more so the structure.

A rule is antithetical to freedom. That is pretty much it. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bmdrocks21
Guess you are not for freedom. You want private individuals to infringe on others' freedoms.
Guess your not for freedom. You want public individuals to infringe on others' freedoms.
Lol
You can't admit freedom leads to other people abusing that freedom instead make up stuff.
Can't find it.
Therefore, there is more freedom in general than there would be if you didn't impose that law.
By saying "more freedom" you have literally stated the flaw of your argument. You either have freedom or you don't. You are not free because they are rules stopping people from being free. Saying more freedom is that you acknowledge there things restricting your freedom but you choose not to understand your not completely free which is the entire point of freedom.
I said "fabricated". Means "invent" or "create". Why do you keep asking me to look up basic vocabulary words?
Yes rights were created. How in anyway can you disprove this? 

Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@TheRealNihilist
--> @Death23
When people speak of tolerance in political discourse it's often in reference to the tolerance of ethnic minorities (e.g. the "Museum of Tolerance") rather than tolerance in general. It's not paradoxical to advocate for tolerance of ethnic minorities while simultaneously being intolerant of racism and bigotry.
I wasn't using that definition. I was using the one when tolerance is without limit. 
I don't think that type of tolerance has political relevance. Why post in the politics forum? I mean, what I see often is people attacking political correctness, and often the attack made is an appeal to hypocrisy argument. (e.g. "X advocates for tolerance but X does not tolerate intolerance"; and tu quoque is the hallmark of the propagandist) I'm just hoping this is not that.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Death23
I don't think that type of tolerance has political relevance.
I think it has with the 2nd amendment. Whether people accept it or not free speech is not protected in the US in all cases. Just like tolerance it can only go so far.
I mean, what I see often is people attacking political correctness, and often the attack made is an appeal to hypocrisy argument.
bmdrocks literally appeal to God. If someone actually brings up political correctness as an issue I think it is safe to say they either are ignorant of the issues they currently face or literally have that as their important issues. If this isn't the case then they are literally wasting anyone's time by bringing up something that isn't important. Yep I do see the whataboutism but that can be rejected on factual grounds as in what about Hillary sold nuclear stuff to Russia? There is no evidence so it is up to the other person to find something that eludes me.