What Preoccupies Us?

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 10
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
Some studies have shown that in many cases the biggest preoccupation with many people is their occupation, Their day to day work.

But apart from your career, what sort of thing are you most preoccupied with?

For some, it may be raising a family, for others, It may be a sport or a hobby. my "overindulgence" is my "man cave" full of guitars and sound equipment. I get lost in there for hours on end some days.

But let's spare a thought for many around the world whose one preoccupation in life is being tied down as a slave to serving a brutal master. Remarkably these "slaves" have never seen or heard their master, relying on word-of-mouth utterances by henchmen. They are made to enter into a sadomasochistic relationship whereby they love their master and fear him at the same time.

These slaves are made to pay a portion of their hard-earned money to the henchmen who in turn intimidate the slaves with threats of eternal punishment and separation from their families for not doing as they are told.

What's more many of the henchman of this invisible master are continually pressuring these slaves into the morbid idea that the end of the world is near and all that matters is serving the master since anything else they do for society is fruitless anyway.

It's hard to believe, isn't it?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the so called Roman "Catholic" Church.

Know that they have been in schism from The Orthodox Catholic Church for a thousand years now. Technically, it is a heretical church.

We have a completely different approach to things. The Latin church is like a courthouse where you go to be judged and sentenced. The Orthodox Church is more like a hospital. That is our mentality.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
The master is The Truth.

We abide in The Truth out of love.

Those who love God out of fear are like slaves.

Those who love God out of promise of reward are like mercenaries.

Those who love God because of who He is are like the sons and daughters of God.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
What Preoccupies Us?
For some people its religion. They are completely besotted with religion. The really funny thing is that some of them claim to be atheists, but their every waking moment is consumed with religion.

They live on religion boards, and will change the topic of any conversation to religion regardless of the original topic.

I wish you'd do a thread on why some atheists are obsessed with religion.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
And such is your mentality that you are given to making negative false aspersions about others.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
If I am mistaken about you having a bad experience with the Latin church, I am only going off of what I heard was your experience. If I heard wrong, I apologize for being presumptuous.

But what I say otherwise still stands, the faith is not what you think it is.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
Depending upon age of course.

Sex, food and survival are the natural preoccupations.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
True to say, because they are the basics of life and if we had the cranial capacity of any other animal they would be our only preoccupations.

However, humans have the ability to conceptualize and create. Thus we preoccupy ourselves with deliberately chosen pass times.

It's unfortunate that there are some people who are so besotted and fearful of their invisible master, their number one preoccupation is kissing His derriere.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
Oh, you "heard" did you?
From the voice inside your head perhaps?
And, does that voice inside your head also tell you what I think?

It was probably what you "heard" that got you into the deluded mess that you are in now.

Perhaps if you (dare) read a book on critical thinking you may start to evaluate and assess the information you receive instead of making erroneous judgments.
Especially about others.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
Ethan said he knows you from DDO. He said you had a bad experience with the Roman church.

Why do you automatically think the worst? I am not an unreasonable person.

But you assume a great deal more about me than I do you. Have you ever heard the old saying that when you point the finger you have 3 pointing right back at you?

What do I know about you? That you don't understand Christianity. I am the only Orthodox Christian on this forum. I won't be here much longer. I can't really develop a relationship with you, because as I said, my time is short.

So while I am here, I suggest you take advantage of the fact and have an honest and productive conversation. I am not here to judge you, I am here to educate.