Becoming a monk

Author: Mopac

Total: 85
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
My wife died 6 months ago, so if it was a surprise to anyone, I am a male.

Since I am no longer married, I am free to become a monk. I will not likely return after lent, as I will likely be living in a monastery.

I love all of you, and despite me grumbling from time to time, I enjoyed many of our conversations.

Thank you DART for the good times.

I will be gone by the end of the month, so if there is anything you'd like to talk to me about, this would be the time!

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Mopac
Good luck in your journey in faith and I am extremely sorry for your loss

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Mopac
Good luck my fellow Orthodox Christian
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
I'll be going to Saint George in Chicago for the next month.

Antiochan Church in Cicero.

Visiting some family.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
I know the priest there, very good guy.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
He knew my priest. Instantly recognized that I'm from Texas.

My priest translates a lot of hymns into English for the Antiochan church. 

I'm going to miss him, I couldn't have asked for a better priest.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
The Antiochan Priest? Or the Saint George one?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
All the churches I am talking about are Antiochan.

I normally go to an Antiochan church, so I wanted to see the nicest one in Chicago.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
I thought it was the Greek Orthodox one, oof my bad
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Mopac
Didn't really talk to you much but bye. And sorry for your loss

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Hope all goes well for you.

I admire your unwavering faith, despite our differences.

Regards.
Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Mopac
Good luck and God bless.
OntologicalSpider
Debates: 1
OntologicalSpider
That's no light decision, I commend your courage. Sorry for your loss. God bless
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
My wife died 6 months ago,

You have my sympathy , for what it may be worth,  Mopac.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Love you.  ' Opens Arms '
Bring it in.........

Also can you start a post saying. ( I AM BECOMING A MONK ) So i can poke fun of you there?

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Vader
I know the priest there, very good guy.
There is no such thing as a priest being a good guy.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Salixes
you can only say that for catholic priests, they're the most corrupt, and not in the stereotypical way
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Vader
you can only say that for catholic priests, they're the most corrupt, and not in the stereotypical way
I can say that for any, deceitful, lying charlatan who preaches utter nonsense through guilt and fear by praying on those who are naive, gullible, weak and vulnerable.

And, isn't it always the case with denominations to accuse the others......oh, however the cult I belong to is not like them, oh, no sirree, we are much better.
It's like trying to pick the best out of a whole barrel entirely filled with rotten apples.

I say, leave them all alone and they will just rot away and vanish, never to be heard of again.
Amen.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
So i can poke fun of you there?
Geezis Deb.
That was a bit of an ominous choice of the word "poke" don't you think?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Becoming a monk

Have you been a monk before you were married, Mopac?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Vader

@Salixes wrote : There is no such thing as a priest being a good guy.

SupaDudz wrote ; you can only say that for catholic priests, they're the most corrupt, and not in the stereotypical way

Try watching the TV documentary The Witnesses. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
You sound like a bigot.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Have you been a monk before you were married, Mopac?

Not in the sense of living in a monastery with an abbot.

Some of the work I did made me feel like a monk though. Obviously. thst doesn't count.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Salixes
You said AMEN!!!! FALSE ATHIEST!!!!
Mopac
Mopac
“The fact that I am a monk and you are a layman is of no importance. The Lord listens equally to the monk and to the man of the world provided both are true believer. He looks for a heart full of true faith into which to send his Spirit. For the heart of a man is capable of containing the Kingdom of God. The Holy Spirit and the Kingdom of God are one.”

— St. Seraphim of Sarov

“The acquisition of of holiness is not the exclusive business of monks, as certain people think. People with families are also called to holiness, as are those in all kinds of professions, who live in the world, since the commandment about perfection and holiness is given not only to monks, but to all people"

— Hieromartyr Onuphry Gagaluk

"You greatly delude yourself and err, if you think that one thing is demanded from the layman and another from the monk; since the difference between them is in that whether one is married or not, while in everything else they have the same responsibilities... Because all must rise to the same height; and what has turned the world upside down is that we think only the monk must live rigorously, while the rest are allowed to live a life of indolence.

Whoever is angry with his brother without cause, regardless of whether he is a layman or a monk, opposes God in the same way. And whoever looks at a woman lustfully, regardless of his status, commits the same sin.

A man is not defined by whether he is a layman or a monk, but by the way he thinks"

— St. John Chrysostom

Mopac
Mopac
"Be persecuted, rather than be a persecutor. Be crucified, rather than be a crucifier. Be treated unjustly, rather than treat anyone unjustly. Be oppressed, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice."

— St. Isaac of Ninevah 

"Let not one think, my fellow Christian, that only priests and monks need to pray without ceasing and not laymen No, no; every Christian without exception ought to dwell always in prayer."

— St. Gregory Palamas 

Mopac
Mopac
“We must receive the one who curses us as a messenger from God, rebuking our hidden evil thoughts, so that we, seeing our thoughts with exactness, might correct ourselves. For we do not know how many hidden evils we have; Only a perfect man can understand all of his own shortcomings.”

“He who neglects action and depends on theoretical knowledge holds a staff of reed instead of a double-edged sword; and when he confronts his enemies in time of war, ‘it will go into his hand, and pierce it’ , injecting its natural poison.”

— St. Mark the Ascetic

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.[paraphrase]

--St. Han Solo of Corellia

There is but one god. His name is Death. And the only prayer we offer him is "not today." [paraphrase]

--St. Syrio of Braavos

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese

--Coach Finstock the Blessed

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish."

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Thou hast to knowest when to hold them...knowest when to foldeth them. Know thou when to walk away...and when to run. Above all thou shalt not counteth thy money, whilst thou are sitting at the table. For verily I say unto the, there shalt be time enough for counting whe on the dealing is done.