What race was Jesus?

Author: Nathaniel_B

Total: 42
Nathaniel_B
Debates: 1
Nathaniel_B
He has always been portrayed as a white male, so it has come to my mind since I was 9 years old. What was Jesus's (If he actually existed) true skin color? Was he truly a white male in the middle east? Or was he black? So are Christians worshipping a white man?
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Nathaniel_B
He has always been portrayed as a white male, so it has come to my mind since I was 9 years old. What was Jesus's (If he actually existed) true skin color? Was he truly a white male in the middle east? Or was he black?

Why does Jesus have to be white OR black? no, Jesus was not your average Ken doll with blue eyes obviously, probably didn't look white or black but right in between. 

So are Christians worshipping a white man?

I would say Christians aren't worshipping a white man but a spiritual Master hopefully. Physical bodies are just temporary vehicles anyways the skin is irrelevant to the soul and to spiritual truth, Jesus was what He was in the flesh it really doesn't matter. It shouldn't be about white or black TBH. And an artists rendering of Jesus doesn't represent what all Christians "worship" or believe. I've seen more than just white renderings of Jesus so it's actually not true that all pictures of Jesus look like white males. Many do, but not all. 
Let's pretend Jesus did in fact have light brown hair and light colored eyes, does that offend you?

Nathaniel_B
Nathaniel_B
-->
@EtrnlVw
Let's pretend Jesus did in fact have light brown hair and light colored eyes, does that offend you?

Hell yeah that piss me off! I ain't gonna be worshippin no white man PERIOD, good thing my father had taught me right! 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Who cares. I want to know what class he was.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Nathaniel_B
He was Persian. 
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
No. We all know that he probably had brown-ish skin, somewhere on a spectrum. Historically most visual depictions of Jesus have been made by Europeans, as most Christians until the modern era have been Europeans, so it makes sense that they would make him look like one of them (though to be fair most just try to imitate how He was depicted in certain mosaics from Antiquity, which had Him as being white-ish, rather than being overly fixated on the ideal of a specifically white Jesus). Go to Africa and you'd likely see artwork depicting a black Jesus. Is that historically accurate either? No, not as far as we can tell. Does it matter? No. Heck, I think there are even churches in China that have Jesus looking like Confucius or something, with the full Chinese look and everything. America is and always has been a predominantly white country, so it only makes sense that most artwork in this country would have Him being white.

Depicting Him with a high degree of historical accuracy could result a culture shock and give the impression that Jesus was this strange foreign "other", when all Christians need to be focused on is that He lived on earth as a human being, like any of us, that He died for all of us, and that He is freely available to all of us. Debate over His physical appearance or accusations of "whitewashing" would be an unwelcome distraction from things that matter. It would serve to divide people when what Jesus wanted was a strong, united church.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Nathaniel_B
If Jesus was an actual historical figure he belonged to the human race.
ravensjt
ravensjt
The million dollar questions to me are how would Race relations be different (if at all) If Jesus wasn't portrayed as White like he is in the West

Why is he portrayed as such?

Who has benefitted from this portrayal? (If anybody) Who has suffered? (if anybody)

How many would change their Religion or not convert based off of Jesus appearance being changed?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I guess no one thinks Jew is a race.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Nathaniel_B
He has always been portrayed as a white male,

Only to the ignorant who forget that he was a Jew from the middle east.

What was Jesus's (If he actually existed) true skin color?

See above.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Not all Christians use images. There are many Christians who would not use pictures of Jesus.

Jesus the son of man is not really the object of worship so much as it is worship of God through Jesus The Word of God.

Jesus the son of man is much like the serpent lifted up in the wilderness by Moses. The Jews don't worship the graven image of a snale any more than Christians take a man as God.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Nathaniel_B
What race was God and what race was Mary?
ethang5
ethang5
There are verses in the bible that describe what Jesus looked like. Most people just don't read.

But this question is like asking, what race was Shaka Zulu? If you have to ask, you may not be ready for the answer.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
There are verses in the bible that describe what Jesus looked like. Most people just don't read.
Show us those verses.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
Right after you give me some evidence of abiogenesis Jed.

I owe you nothing. You come to a religion board denying truth. But on the science board, you can't address the failure of your own thread.

At least you know my evidence is in the bible. Your claimed evidence for abiogenesis is non- existent.

Cue the troll.
mustardness
mustardness
Jesus is mythical fairy tale only mentioned in the bible. 

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
Cue the troll.

Ah, you're just trolling again, Gotcha. Carry on trolling.
ethang5
ethang5
Just one of several extra-biblical mentions of Jesus.

Josephus, (66–70 C.E.),  in his work Jewish Antiquities, written in Greek, mentions Jesus by name twice.

When people are ignorant and don't know they are.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
Carry on dodging.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
You come to a religion board denying truth.

Really? Hahahaha!

What truth am i denying, E? Your invisible God?

Or, your lies above about verses in the Bible describing Jesus looks. Of course, no such verses exist, E. Have you actually read the Bible? Doesn't seem like it. And here I thought your massive ignorance was due to spending all your time with the Bible, never learning anything else.

But, now I see it's Television that is your God. You spend all your time swooning over pathetic soap operas in made up magical kingdoms. That surely explains a great deal. Lol.

What was is it you said again?

"Expressionless. Stellar TV."
"My God, that was emotionally satisfying TV!"
"Spine tingling TV."
"TV without equal."

Lol. Surely, that is stellar, emotionally satisfying, spine tingling comedy, Ethan. My sides are absolutely splitting.

Let's hear more about this truth I'm denying?

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@ethang5
Jesus in the bible is not the same as any other records of a Jeus.

Stick to the facts, please. There are 1000s of people with name Jesus in the americas.

Jesus of bible is mythical fairy tale. As is Adam and Eve.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
What truth am i denying, E? 
Probably the same truth you claim I am denying in your abiogenesis thread. What claim is that? Cause you've said zippo about abiogenesis in that thread.

Of course, no such verses exist, 
Of course. And with bible apps online, you can find out. But your claims about evidence for abiogenesis are like bigfoot. Never seen.

And here I thought your massive ignorance was due to spending all your time with the Bible, never learning anything else.
Just like an ignorant troll, because you don't know the verses, you think they don't exist. And your ignorance will not even cause you to be cautious.

My sides are absolutely splitting.
Yes. We know what it means when a troll claims to find something funny. Hopefully you will one day find some evidence for abiogenesis.

Expressionless. Stellar TV." 
"My God, that was emotionally satisfying TV!"
"Spine tingling TV."
"TV without equal."
No, you aren't following me, I'm just living rent free it that bitterness racked head of yours.

Let's hear more about this truth I'm denying?
You brought it up in your abiogenesis thread, but never said what it was. That is what you do, you claim people are denying something, but can never say what they are denying.

I myself would love to hear more of whatever you think I'm denying.

Lol. I can feel you flexing to dodge from here.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@mustardness
Read the account genius.

Ananus, thinking that he had a favorable opportunity because Festus had died and Albinus was still on his way, called a meeting of judges and brought into it the brother of Jesus-who-is-called-Messiah … James by name, and some others.

Why does your ignorance not cause you caution?
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5

I myself would love to hear more of whatever you think I'm denying.

You deny Science because your thinking mind has been destroyed by Television (previously thought to be Religion)

Maybe it's both.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
What science am I denying? My science has 6,000 years of scientific observation and experimentation to back it. Your science has nothing. No support, no evidence.

You started a thread on abiogenesis and have not been able to post one jot of evidence for abiogenesis on that thread. Funny no?

I have mentioned neither TV nor religion. But you have. You should have mentioned some evidence for your lame theory instead. As you said, you're done here.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
What science am I denying?
You wouldn't know, that's the point.

Go back to your Television God.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
Thanks, I will. As you seem not to be able to post any science.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
Thanks, I will.

Do you cosplay any of the characters, pretending you're one of them?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Goldtop
No. But I did watch the Emmy awards celebrate them. Does your mom allow you to watch the Emmy's?

Do you ever wonder what actual scientific evidence looks like?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ethang5
No. But I did watch the Emmy awards celebrate them.

I'm sure you did. Lol.