Yang Drops Out, becomes first big available endorsement from an ex-candidate

Author: Imabench

Total: 19
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Andrew Yang, ending his campaign after noting that he faces a shellacking in the New Hampshire Polls, is now one of the biggest ex-candidates whose endorsement of another candidate could actually carry meaning to it https://www.yahoo.com/news/yang-created-buzz-freedom-dividend-010829068.html

Prior to this point, the biggest candidate to drop out of the race was Kamala Harris, who had to pull out of the race due to financing issues and has yet to make an endorsement of her own. Yang, who peaked at 4.9 percent in national polls, never got to the level Harris did, who at one point topped 15% before sliding down to about 4.0% before dropping out..... Yang though managed to make it to Iowa at least, that deserves credit. Candidates who drop out before votes even start getting counted have nearly no weight to their endorsements later on, at least compared to those who stay in.... You think any republican gave a shit about who Rick Perry or whats-his-name from Wisconsin (Scott Walker!) endorsed in 2016? Hell no. Only candidates who actually make it SOMEWHERE into the actual vote have weight to their endorsements. 

Yang, by dropping out after Iowa, has only 6 candidates ahead of him in the race: Klobuchar, and the 5 main candidates (Bllomberg, Buttigieg, Biden, Warren, and Sanders). Since the 5 of them will likely stay in the race for a while (Biden, Buttigieg and Sanders have good support, Bloomberg is a fuckin Billionaire) that leaves Yang and Klobuchar as the ones who could really help break the tie among the front runners. 

Yang could go in any direction.... He might go business and endorse Bloomberg, he might support Sanders in terms of economics.... Maybe he sticks centrist and goes Biden, or makes a daring bet and go with Buttigieg.... Yangs endorsement might not move the needle much in any one direction, but unlike most people in the race at some point, his endorsement matters, and its up for grabs now that hes out of the race. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
Bennett also dropped out.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Who?
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Imabench
Willing to place my bets on bernie.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Tom Steyer still in it, my boy is killing it
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Bernie won the moment Warren used the sexist card on Bernie.

Really annoying actually, if Warren acted like a normal human person she wouldn't have torpedoed her own primary and would have easily won.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Imabench
The meme is now dead
Vader
Vader
I liked Yang a lot. It looks he will support Bernie. Might as well give Bernie the nomination now at this point
Vader
Vader
-->
@Greyparrot
I would agree. Warren really screwed herself over
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't think warren's capable of acting like a normal human being, maybe she just has some type of disorder that makes her impulsively lie about everything.
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@Vader
If Yang endorsed Bernie it would be good for him, but I am still wondering if Bernie has really expanded his base or if he's still banking on just the coalition he got from 2016 

Vader
Vader
-->
@Imabench
His support is the same, expect instead of a famous women running, it's 5 random clutter of people dividing the votes. Bernies are very loyal in general to him, so people who stuck with him (plus a few more) are the main voters, the rest are spread out

Vader
Vader
-->
@Imabench
If it comes down to a 1v1 with a candidate close to him in electoral delegates, I think he will slip away. he surely isn't trying to pull in new voters, just solidifying old ones imo
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
It's hard to tell since the MSM won't discuss Bernie much.

Especially since Bernie called out the MSM as a bunch of elites with a crony corporate agenda.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@bmdrocks21
Michael Bennet, one of my senators here in Colorado.  He ran Denver Public Schools which I can't say are as good as they ought to be and he's a bit milktoasty but to him goes the best campaign promise of the 2020 season:  "I promise that if you make me president, you won't have to think about me for long stretches of time."   I have to admit that's an appealing promise.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@oromagi
"I promise that if you make me president, you won't have to think about me for long stretches of time."   I have to admit that's an appealing promise.
lol i feel like this was true of him no matter what. No one thought about him during the race. Now that he has dropped out, people are continuing to not think about him. 

Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
calling it now, yang will support Bernie. Watched him on the h3 podcast and it seemed he liked bernies views, and was even in admiration of him.
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@Vader
His support is the same, expect instead of a famous women running, it's 5 random clutter of people dividing the votes. Bernies are very loyal in general to him, so people who stuck with him (plus a few more) are the main voters, the rest are spread out

I am beginning to wonder if we might have a Rubio-Kasich-Jeb situation where in 2016 the three of them split the moderate vote into factions that couldnt stop other figures like Cruz or Trump from being the frontrunners..... Klobuchar pulling in 20% in NH is fucking shocking, and with Buttigieg also hitting 20% while Biden still leads moderates nationally, the three of them could end up splintering the moderate base if either of them have strong showings on Super Tuesday when like 14 states vote.  
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@HistoryBuff
lol i feel like this was true of him no matter what. No one thought about him during the race. Now that he has dropped out, people are continuing to not think about him. 
+1