When You Die

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 29
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
I think it fair to say, and all theists would agree, that when you die you become closer to God.
It stands to reason really and no matter how hard one tries to deny it, it is a watertight, irrefutable statement of fact.
I am even prepared to admit that when I die I will be closer to God.

In fact, I say quite unequivocally that when anyone dies he or she will be closer to God.
Because the fact is, God does not exist.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
Because the fact is, god does not exist.
Although I am in conventional terms an atheist, I am still patently aware that your above comment cannot be substantiated. It's very much a catch 22 situation regarding the unlikely or likely existence of a supreme creative being. 

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
Although I am in conventional terms an atheist, I am still patently aware that your above comment cannot be substantiated. It's very much a catch 22 situation regarding the unlikely or likely existence of a supreme creative being. 
The "can't rule out anything" hypothesis is often used by theists who, for want of any sort of rational argument will come out with: "you can't disprove God."

This gives rise to anyone to claim any absurdity they want simply because their claim cannot be 100% disproven.

"You cannot substantiate your claim that pink elephants with wings don't exist, can you, well? That's right, you cant' so, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah."

It would be a world of total chaos if we were to accept anything just because it can't be ruled out.

There is not one skerrick of evidence or proof whatsoever as to support the existence of God (or any other supernatural phenomena). In fact, there is overwhelming evidence that that irrefutably disproves creation (the cornerstone of religious belief).

Nobody in his or her right mind is "entitled" to claim the existence of God.
God does not exist.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
As I clearly stated I am an atheist in regard to a supernatural God phenomena.

And probably just like you, I think that conventional religions are pointless nonsense.

But unfortunately or not as the case may be, the argument that you cited is sound.

Something that cannot be proven, therefore cannot be disproven either.  Pink elephants and all.

So better to channel all that angst energy, into calm positive reasoning.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4

As I clearly stated I am an atheist in regard to a supernatural God phenomena.
And probably just like you, I think that conventional religions are pointless nonsense.
But unfortunately or not as the case may be, the argument that you cited is sound.
Something that cannot be proven, therefore cannot be disproven either.  Pink elephants and all.
So better to channel all that angst energy, into calm positive reasoning.
Uh, Uh, naughty naughty. You are inventing your table with cards on it strawman (non) reasoning again, aren't you?
Just like me eh?
Let's make it clear. All forms of religion are pointless nonsense.
Especially non-conventional religions.

(Now folks, stay tuned as we witness all sorts quasi re-labeling and redefining come out of the woodwork to disguise yet another set of nutty beliefs)
Wait for it......
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
So what is a "non-conventional religion"?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
You tell me since it was you who said that there are conventional religions so I therefore assumed that you, through inference, was saying that there are unconventional religions.

So far as I'm concerned all religions are unconventional and absurd.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Salixes

You tell me since it was you who said that there are conventional religions 
Right. He said conventional religions. You said non-conventional religions, so he's asking you, "what is a "non-conventional religion". You said it slick.

so I therefore assumed that you, through inference, was saying that there are unconventional religions.
No. You said it, in post #5. And he's now asking you about what you said. Got your Reebok's on?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5

I think maybe you had better re-think your (lack of) reasoning if indeed you did actually put any thought whatsoever into such an absurd statement.

Are you aware of the term nonsequitur?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5
No. You said it, in post #5. And he's now asking you about what you said.

Now, if I'm not mistaken and, I concede that sometimes I do get it wrong but perhaps you could give me your objective advice, sitting there on the sideline.

So far as I'm concerned all religions are unconventional and absurd.
Now, perhaps with your balanced judgment and overwhelming intellect you could do a synopsis on that reply and advise everyone out there whether or not that does constitute a valid reply.

Oh, and of course, you are going to be level-headed and constrained enough not to let your own bias influence your judgment, are you?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
I think maybe you had better re-think your (lack of) reasoning if indeed you did actually put any thought whatsoever into such an absurd statement.
I didn't make that statement Hosea.

Now, perhaps with your balanced judgment and overwhelming intellect you could do a synopsis on that reply...
All I see is you dodging sheepie.

Here is another you can dodge. Is Australian Dream time absurd? And is it more or less absurd then racism?

Lol.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5
Is Australian Dream time absurd? And is it more or less absurd then racism?
Thank you for your questions.

The Dreamtime, like any religion, is absurd. Since all other religions are derivative of Dreamtime, are they necessarily any better?
I don't think so because Christianity, for example, has spiraled along a hopeless tangent of violence, obsession with perversion, guilt, jealousy, fear, and dominance and has gotten away from the strong meaningfulness and grassroots of the Dreamtime.

The Dreamtime is all about being a part of the land upon which you live and the intimate connection and understanding you have with all matter. 

As to whether the Dreamtime is more or less absurd than racism is certainly a very challenging, if not cryptically encoded question; one which I am not really qualified to answer. 
Perhaps you would have more experience in that area and could post an appropriate answer.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
Is Australian Dream time absurd? And is it more or less absurd then racism?

Thank you for your questions.
Anytime.

The Dreamtime, like any religion, is absurd. 
Thanks. You hawk it, so it was just curious that you an atheist, would be hawking what he calls an absurdity.

As to whether the Dreamtime is more or less absurd than racism is certainly a very challenging,
I thought it would be - for an Australian racist atheist.

...one which I am not really qualified to answer. 
Not being qualified has never stopped you before.

Perhaps you would have more experience in that area and could post an appropriate answer.
I do have experience with racism through you and your Hindu boyfriend on DDO. And while I know Dreamtime is just primitive nonsense lapped up by the politically correct, racism is real evil, as evidenced by what has happened to both you and the Hindu moron.

So for me, racism is a greater absurdity as it requires its adherents to ignore the reality of bannings and friendlessness.

In the acute loneliness of friendlessness, people often develop compulsions to cope with the angst. Just harmless liberal kooks are into Dreamtime, racism requires true stupidity, eh?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
Debateart religious convention is generally based around Christianity with some references to Judaism and Islam and the occasional bit of Hinduism throw in.

Though generally it's Christanity that comes under scrutiny.

My reference to an unconventional interpretation of God is based upon what might or might not be the outcome and purposes of material evolution.

Can you comprehend this?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
Can you comprehend this?
No.
And I don't think that anyone with half a brain could even begin to comprehend what the heck you are going on about.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
No
And such a simple concept.

Therefore I think that it is very fair to suggest that you might only function at somewhere around 50%.

Or perhaps you just simply cannot be bothered to think outside of your limited little box.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say the latter.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
And such a simple concept.

Your "concept" is completely devoid of sense.
Refusing to explain your "concept" and making an unfounded ad hominem attack certainly do you no favor, now does it?

So, how about you settle down a bit, stop the anger and explain your nonsensical "concept".
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
First and foremost, you would find it extremely difficult to anger me.
I simply employed a tactic to stimulate a response.

"Might or might not be the outcome and purposes of material evolution".

So what within this statement do you find so difficult to understand?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
First and foremost, you would find it extremely difficult to anger me.
Can you be bored? Because he has that arrow in his quiver too.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
No I think not.

Debating and primarily the compositional exercise, is therapeutic and keeps the grey matter active.

But the content of the discussion is somewhat irrelevant. Nonetheless, I do always attempt to give an honest opinion.

I suppose, I am actually quite a nihilist.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Then he isn't going to like you. But if you convince him you haven't a religious bone in your body, he might learn to like you.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
So what within this statement do you find so difficult to understand?
No, you read it wrong....once again.

I completely understand your statement. I just wanted you to clarify the nonsensical nature of it.

For example, if you read it in one of those science fiction comics then of course you should quote your source.

If you got it from one of those la-dee-da philosophical websites that use Courier text, then don't bother.

If you made the statement purely on your own then there are some very good professional therapists I can refer you to.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
If you claim that something is non-sense, then you claim that something is non-sense.

Now you claim to completely understand. Ergo the concept makes sense. (Even if you might not agree with the concept.)

This is what is known as contradiction.

So let me put things another way.

What, even though you understand the concept, do you still nonetheless regard as non-sense?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
If you claim that something is non-sense, then you claim that something is non-sense.

Now you claim to completely understand. Ergo the concept makes sense. (Even if you might not agree with the concept.)

This is what is known as contradiction.

So let me put things another way.

What, even though you understand the concept, do you still nonetheless regard as non-sense?

What the?
How many times have they made you repeat first grade and when will you finally make second grade?

Now that first sentence is a real show-stopper I reckon. If the sky is blue then the sky is blue. Yep, a lot of deep philosophical thought went into that one....."like err um derrr it is what it is man, haw, haw"
I seriously suggest you throw away those comics and stop throwing away your medication. You know, one day the carers will find out that you have been chucking those lithium tabs in the pot plants after hiding them behind your tongue.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
@Salixes
Did you see him answer or dodge the question?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Classic dodger.

Sarcasm and abuse is the limit of their intellectual reasoning.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ethang5
Did you see him answer or dodge the question?
Quite frankly, I really don't think he has a clue as to what he is going on about himself.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Classic dodger.
Sarcasm and abuse is the limit of their intellectual reasoning.
Even sarcasm and abuse strains his  intellectual reasoning. It must be liberating to be free from the constraints of intellectual honesty.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
So, what do you not understand?

A simple question.
To which I will attempt to give you a simple explanation to whatever it is that you find unreasonable.

See if you can respond to this request positively and without the need for sarcasm and abuse.