Does Racism Require Ethnic Power Over Another Ethnic Group?

Author: Reece

Total: 52
Reece
Debates: 0
Reece
I'd mostly say yes if racism required someone getting offended. 

I personally think it's hard to ethnically offend someone when their ethnic group is the majority in your social sphere 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
No.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ethang5
Feeling that you belong to a race that is genetically inferior is also racism. Note I said feel because there is no basis in science for multiple races since we are all mutts from one race in Africa.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Reece
I get offended when a person with black skin claims no agency over his actions due solely to the color of his skin. His personal racism assuming with zero science that white skin confers agency offends me.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Reece
The minority Race can be prejudice or bigoted.......

Racism is a system in which a dominant Race benefits off the oppression of others,overtly or covertly, consciously or subconsciously

Racism doesn't always equate to the majority Race (See South Africa)

Because of this, it's debatable whether the downtrodden Race can be "Racist"
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ravensjt
A minority race is also racist if they identify any person as having dominance over them due to skin color even if that person does not. The delusion is still racist thinking.
Mopac
Mopac

Racism
Full Definition
  • 1 : a belief that race is the primarydeterminant of human traits and capacities and that racial differencesproduce an inherent superiority of a particular race
  • 2 a : a doctrine or political program basedon the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles 
    b : a political or social system founded on racism
  • 3 : racial prejudice or discrimination
What I'm getting here is that if race is at all a factor in your thinking, you are thinking mighty racist.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt
Because of this, it's debatable whether the downtrodden Race can be "Racist"
Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?

Reece
Reece
-->
@Greyparrot

I haven't come across anyone claiming that.

Reece
Reece
-->
@ravensjt
There's no need to debate it. When there is a large ethnic divide in ones country/abroad of course there are racists on both sides. What matters is the extent and the cause. 
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Greyparrot
A minority race is also racist if they identify any person as having dominance over them due to skin color even if that person does not. The delusion is still racist thinking.
That's not Racism. Black people can be anti-white, but there is a big difference between having prejudiced views about other people and having a system that gives systemic privilege to some groups.

Would you say that Blacks who lived under overt oppression were also racist because they hated their Oppressors? 

If you say "no", then you admit that racism is about power and control 

If you think "yes" that the oppressed can commit the same sin as oppressors then that's victim blaming

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@ethang5
Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?

It certainly would've been dumb.... But no, South Africans were/are taking back what was rightfully theirs, Those Whites were the beneficiaries of stolen land. Their Race is a by product of the thievery of their Forefathers 
Reece
Reece
-->
@Mopac
Should have gone with ethnocism. Do you have a better word?
Mopac
Mopac
Give me an example in modern day America of ethnic power over another group.
Reece
Reece
-->
@Mopac
Police brutality on minorities.

I was going to give the war on christmas as an example, but then I thought nah.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt

....no, South Africans were/are taking back what was rightfully theirs, 
The lives of white people were rightfully theirs??
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Reece
I don't think that police are brutal towards people simply because they are "minorities". Got another example?

Reece
Reece
-->
@Mopac
That's not just my opinion brah, it's empirical. 

Police in low income neighborhoods target Minority groups by stop and frisk and other means.
This creates/hardens negative behaviors.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Reece
I am certain there are other variables at play here than being a minority.

Like, you know, behaving supiciously, not cooperating with police, or actually being engaged in criminal activity, flashing weapons at police, etc.

Besides that, not all ethnic minorities are "low income".

Give me another example, because I don't buy into this one. 

Reece
Reece
-->
@Mopac
behaving supiciously
Very subjective.

not cooperating with police, or actually being engaged in criminal activity
Maybe because they're being arrested for bullsh!t reasons such as carrying marijuana.

Both caucasians and african americans consume the same amount. Guess who gets targeted the most? 

flashing weapons at police
Yes, hardened behavior from the war on drugs and other such endeavors from "law enforcement".
It's systemic.

Besides that, not all ethnic minorities are "low income".
It's your turn to give me an example, just for kicks. 

Give me another example, because I don't buy into this one.
Sure, after we're done with this one.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Reece
Drugs are not good, and they are illegal.

Resisting the police is stupid, and will cause more problems.

You are literally underminig your own argument and proving my point.

There are other factors besides being a minority.
Reece
Reece
-->
@Mopac
Drugs are not good, and they are illegal.
For you to blanket drugs like that I can tell you're highly uninformed.

Resisting the police is stupid, and will cause more problems.
But can try to imagine the frustration?

You are literally underminig your own argument and proving my point.
What are you talking about?

There are other factors besides being a minority.
For all the issues I've discussed, is that all you have to say? Are you just trying to smear to see what sticks?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Reece
Like you know? You're just parroting off political propaganda and BS. Drugs are illegal. It is the police's job to enforce the law, and if someone doesn't cooperate, they are going to be treated rough. If someone pulls out a gun, they are likely to get shot. I don't think you understand how much these gang banger drug dealers screw everything up. Children become collateral to their turf wars.

And you know what I think? I think if you blame the police for this kind of stuff, you need to move your tail over to the projects of Chicago or something and tell me that the people who get shot for being criminals with a "they'll never catch me alive" attitude aren't asking for it.
You don't know what YOU are talking about. I grew up around this stuff, and I know what it's like to face violence every day and to have my people decimated by drugs.

It's got nothing to do with race, and I don't appreciate you associating LOW LIFE CULTURE to race. It offends me greatly, and that is what you are unintentionally doing.

There are plenty of succesful minorities. In fact, some minority groups on the whole are very succesful in terms of financial prosperity.

So no, this is not a valid example, and I refuse to accept it as such because I KNOW BETTER. So if you would please move on and five me another example....

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@ethang5
The lives of white people were rightfully theirs??

I assumed you were refering to the land that was taken from them (When apartheid ended 86 percent of land was concentrated in the hands of just roughly 60,000 white farmers)

Thats what I was talking about Bro

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt
I assumed you were refering to the land that was taken from them

How could you misunderstand this question?

"Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?"

Would you like to try it now that you understand it?
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@ethang5
How could you misunderstand this question?

"Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?"

Would you like to try it now that you understand it?

Lets go slower this time..... what you said:

My response:

It certainly would've been dumb.... But no, South Africans were/are taking back what was rightfully theirs, Those Whites were the beneficiaries of stolen land. Their Race is a by product of the thievery of their Forefathers 
I mentioned South Africa originally because it was an example of racism being committed by the minority over the majority (which contradicts the premise that the OP layed forth)

South Africans slaughtering Whites because they are White is a myth put forth in the media (see Donald Trumps tweet http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-20/trump-wants-pompeo-to-study-killing-of-farmers/10158114)

If that's not what you were referring to, then your response is off topic to my original post and it has nothing to do with what I said, thus the confusion on my end.

Now, to answer your question, If Blacks are in the position of power, and they use this position to exterminate Whites because they are White then of course thats racism

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Mopac
Give me an example in modern day America of ethnic power over another group.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt
Wow. You dodge well.

I asked, "Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?

South Africans slaughtering Whites because they are White is a myth put forth in the media
I did not say it was true. I asked, if it had happened.... There was no need to mention the myth.

It has everything to do with what you said because you implied that blacks in South Africa could not possibly be racist in the context of South Africa. So I asked. You seem to be dancing around the simple question.

Now, to answer your question, If Blacks are in the position of power, and they use this position to exterminate Whites because they are White then of course thats racism
OK, but that is not what I asked you. But don't worry. It is clear that you do not want to answer. I'll let the Gentle Reader decide why you will not or cannot answer.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Sure, if that's how you wanna define it. That doesn't preclude or exempt bigoted though, so it's not like it exempts minorities from otherwise being piles of shit like anyone else. 

I would disagree with that post modernist rubbish definition though. But if those are the definitions we'll be using, then why not go all the way and use the post-modern definition of race in it just being a symbolic group created to establish cultural meaning? 👏👏
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@ethang5
Wow. You dodge well.

I asked, "Had South African blacks slaughtered whites wholesale after independence, would that not have been racist?
You know me better than that... I have been on the opposite/lone side of waaay to many debates to act cowardly now

To answer you, We are now in the "after independence" stage.... are you referring to the immediate aftermath (days/weeks etc)?

This aint complex..... If Blacks are in Power and the persecute Whites based off of their Race, then thats Racism    that includes but is not limited to South African Blacks.... does that obvious disclaimer make it more clear?

It has everything to do with what you said because you implied that blacks in South Africa could not possibly be racist in the context of South Africa. So I asked. You seem to be dancing around the simple question.
Your inability to grasp what I was referring to when I mentioned South Africa and me assuming you were referring to what I was when I mentioned it earlier ( before I realized your were off topic) doesnt mean I was implying anything

I have answered your question 3 times now

OK, but that is not what I asked you. But don't worry. It is clear that you do not want to answer. I'll let the Gentle Reader decide why you will not or cannot answer.
Thats exactly what you asked me.... 

If Blacks had exterminated Whites because they were White once they achieved power then that would be Racist (4th time now)...Stop wasting my time by making me tell you the same thing over and over.....

Your not this dense, and you've never seen me dodge anything here.... be respectful