What's Your Most Extraordinary Fact About the Animal Kingdom?

Author: Reece

Total: 45
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
Fire ants create living rafts with their bodies.
mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@Kamikaze
A honeybee has nearly 3 million hairs on its body.
More people die from honey been stings than all other animals combined.

Anaphylactic shock kills.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bee not a bear.
Kamikaze
Debates: 1
Kamikaze
-->
@mustardness
That's interesting because less than 1% of Americans are actually allergic to bee stings. Of course, you would have to factor in Africanized bee attacks, since the sheer number of stings from those can send even someone who is not allergic into anaphylactic shock.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Kamikaze
That's interesting because less than 1% of Americans are actually allergic to bee stings. Of course, you would have to factor in Africanized bee attacks, since the sheer number of stings from those can send even someone who is not allergic into anaphylactic shock.
Factors of consideration indeed, however, I just read a blurb I read in a mag or on the net some years ago. Believed it was true then, and did not consider whether that was world wide consideration or just USA or etc. I dunno.

Ive also read that if all honey bees and other bees died off humanity would not survive or least lareg part would die off.  That is harder for me to believe. I dunno.

Kamikaze
Debates: 1
Kamikaze
-->
@mustardness
Well, I don't think all of humanity would die off. But honeybees alone pollinate 1/3 of the food we eat and add $15 billion in agricultural value to crops every year, so if they did die off, that wouldn't be great for the economy and more people would become food insecure.

78 days later

mustardness
mustardness
Humans discovery of zero{ 0 } as used in mathematics and abacus.

Oldest abacus{ chinese } has 13 columns ergo

two wrists too hang counting rings

two ankles "" ""

8 fingers "" ""

1 neck "" ""

Total 13

Fuller relates is this way, trigonometry was done by earlest sea-peoples reafting between south pacific islands and they had no pockets or writing boards so best to use their body to hang things on, and if their washed overboard the counting things are still attached or easily replaced.

This may be the origins of some tribes south pacific native peoples hanging ornamentals from their ears and their ear lobes hanging longer longer from the weight of the ornamentals.

The original things that hung from the ear lobes were star charts caved into sea shell.

13 columns is trillions. Why did any ancient peoples feel a need to count into the trillions?

Reece
Reece
-->
@mustardness
Sperm whale sonar clicks can reach up to 230 db.
That's the equivalent of about 30 tons of TNT going off.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Reece
Sperm whale sonar clicks can reach up to 230 db. That's the equivalent of about 30 tons of TNT going off.
And spread out  as long wave/____\_____/______\_______\ energy release.

Short wave wwwww energy release would be more  likened to fission or fusion.

There exists only two ways energy can be released.

More frequent, short wave energy bursts.

Less frequent, long wave energy release.

Gravity (  ) and Dark Energy )( may be the exceptions to the rule i.e. where short wave-lengths may transpose to longest wave-length considerations. I dunno.

Reece
Reece
-->
@mustardness
Still pretty neat. 

Also elephants have been known to use seismic communication to communicate miles away from each other.
Not quite sure how accurate that is.   

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
What about the tardigrade's capacity to survive outer space?
Reece
Reece
-->
@oromagi
That's a popular one. There are tons of videos out there on them.

34 days later

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
There is a species of sponge that produces silicon-based material similar to glass.

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
There is a species of sponge that produces silicon-based material similar to glass.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@K_Michael

..."A unique fungus that makes diesel compounds has been discovered living in trees in the rainforest, according to a paper published in the November issue of Microbiology. The fungus is potentially a totally new source of green energy and scientists are now working to develop its fuel producing potential.

"This is the only organism that has ever been shown to produce such an important combination of fuel substances,"...

71 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
Vampire ants feed food to their young and then drink the blood of their young.