WHAT's the MOTIVATION?

Author: oromagi

Total: 11
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I can't make sense of two recent acts of deliberate destruction of street art- last night's destruction of Banksy Valentine's Day work in Bristol, UK

and last week's attack Hosier Lane in Melbourne.

The impulse to destroy art makes no sense to me.  In both cases we are looking at vibrant art gifted to public spaces- artists donating their considerable talents to the greater civic beauty.  Nobody was charged anything: nobody was compelled to anything: no offense was offered: no politics inferred.  But still the impulse apparently exists in some to claw at the beauty of work, to erase the hours of loving craft and leave something broken where civic color and civil reaffirmation were gifted by the kind and the creative.

What's the payoff?  What impulse is satisfied?  What individual purpose is gained for all that civil expense?

I suppose I see some variation of that impulse in the DART forums.  There are those participants who are entirely disinterested in creation or original opinion but tirelessly add a splotch of cynicism or dismissal or derision like a tag in the alley- just marking out territory absent interest or even intent.  The advantage that DART has over Hosier Lane is that the hobgoblins are identified and their comments easily bypassed.   

Most art belongs to its moment and seldom replicates the original impact.  I suppose the vandalism too reflects its the time and place but the loss of the thing is hard to replace and the aftermath in ruin hardens all our hearts.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@oromagi
What an excellent post!

There are those participants who are entirely disinterested in creation or original opinion but tirelessly add a splotch of cynicism or dismissal or derision like a tag in the alley- just marking out territory absent interest or even intent.
Its the same impulse that makes them  rip the wings off butterflies as children, or defile little girls as men.

Nobody was charged anything: nobody was compelled to anything: no offense was offered: no politics inferred.  But still the impulse apparently exists in some to claw at the beauty of work, to erase the hours of loving craft and leave something broken where civic color and civil reaffirmation were gifted by the kind and the creative.
Because those in power live in the same society, and they too become callous to the cynicism.

The advantage that DART has over Hosier Lane is that the hobgoblins are identified and their comments easily bypassed.
But the site sustains the damage none-the-less. And over time, the attraction of the entire site ebbs. And the world becomes uglier.

Sad, excellent post. It is people like you who slow down the tide of cynical indifference suffocating the world.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
What do you expect from the Conservative Party? Fucking morons elected it no doubt.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
@oromagi
@RM
Simply not true and purely a stereotype. As someone who lives in Chicago and loves going to Pilsen with my conservative friends, we do not feel the need to paint bomb the beautiful murals. This is a stereotype you blindly accuse a party of doing

I can recall countless times where liberals have killed people and attacked Conservative in the UK about their beliefs, but that is not the case for all liberals, but a select few of idiots. Just like we have our select few of idiot republicans. The Aussie and UK culture is also more direct versus America, so if the UK or Aussie hate something (Which I assume was the Lizzo mural), they go and do it because f*ck it

Also your article NEVER specified who and what was the motivation behind the Aussie

@oromagi

it's saddening to see art vandalized. trashy
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
Oromagi isn't saying the vandals are the issue, he's saying them hosing down the graffiti is the issue.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
I mean how are you gonna remove graffiti? The best option is to repaint it. They'd have to repaint it anyway
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

ethang5,

YOUR UNGODLY QUOTE AGAIN: "But the site sustains the damage none-the-less."

Didn't I tell you many times with your bastardized English that Jesus does not want dummies representing His TRUE words, even though you are a pseudo-christian? Therefore, your hyphenated word of "none-the-less" is wrong! It does not need to be hyphenated because you ended the sentence with said word, which is poor syntactical sentence structuring to begin with. You hyphenate two or more words when they come before a noun they modify and act as a single idea! This is called a compound adjective, get it? When a compound adjective follows a noun, a hyphen is not necessary, understood?  :(

WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@oromagi
Well, it's just the impulse to destroy I guess. Like, how people enjoy jumping in piles of leaves or seeing the jenga tower fall. There's a beauty in destruction I guess. By the way this is different from vandalism cause vandalism is destroying other's people art without consent. Also, how was the banksy street mural painting thingy destruction? Looked pretty nice to me.
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
@Rat

Imagine being so salty about your party being trash that you have to bring politics into an art/philosophy thread.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Didn't I tell you many times with your bastardized English...
Like when you embarrassed yourself by "correcting" a correct sentence? Dude, its obvious to everyone that you are poorly educated. I keep telling you, no one is in that pretend world with you. 

Therefore, your hyphenated word of "none-the-less" is wrong! 
But I'm the one "running away" from the thread topic huh Dee Dee?

...which is poor syntactical sentence structuring to begin with.
Lol. Sure Dee Dee.

The rest of your post was the usual petty stupidity so I ignored it.