Is Home Schooling Safe?

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 15
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
Caring Sensitive Home School Father: OK children, for supper tonight we are going to have a real treat. We are going to sit around the fire, sipping fresh, warm cow's milk and singing Kumbaya.

Kids: Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Caring Sensitive Home School Father: You are all God's children and everything you need to learn is right here in this one book, the Bible. I know you have all been studying earnestly, so, do you have any questions?

Kid 1: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery......can you please explain Genesis 19?

Kid 2: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery......can you please explain Exodus 21: 7-8?

Kid 3: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery....can you please explain Luke 16:18?

Kid 4: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery......can you please explain Deuteronomy 23:1?

Kid 5: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery......can you please explain Revelations 21: 8?

Kid 6: Oh father dearest, our provider, and protector from sin and debauchery......can you please explain Genesis 38:7-10?

Caring Subservient Home School Mother: SUPPER IS READY!!

Caring Sensitive Home School Father: OK. I'll just unchain the kids first.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Salixes
The average homeschooled kid is in the 80th percentile academically.  I do think kids should be homeschooled until 6th grade since it's better for them and the parents know what they're doing up until that point.  I wouldn't expect the parents to know AP Chem, but they should know multiplication and addition and they should know how to read elementary school books.

I support homeschool and if I had a kid, I'd probably homeschool the kid.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Alec
I support homeschool and if I had a kid, I'd probably homeschool the kid.
I think there is definitely a place for homeschooling....remote, rural communities where kids can't easily get to school. And whilst it is possible to develop highly intelligent kids I think social interaction should also be an important consideration for the well-rounded development kids need in order to function effectively in communities.

Of course, I was having a good stab at Christian (or other religions) homeschooling; and I know a lot of it goes on. 
Parents, in this case, are abusing the right to homeschool by censoring information (e.g. science subjects) from their kids and forcing a distorted and unrealistic view of the world to their kids in order to satisfy their own nefarious ends.

I think it is tantamount to child abuse......my exaggerated portrayal of kids being chained up isn't too far removed from what goes on in these homes. 

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Salixes

Salixes,

At least "home schooling" keeps the innocent children away from Catholic Pedophile Priests in their "rectory" room, and where the Jehovah Witnesses are vying to take the Catholic faith away from being number one with their pedophile problems stemming from their Satanic "Two Witness Rule!" Praise!

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@BrotherDThomas
At least "home schooling" keeps the innocent children away from Catholic Pedophile Priests in their "rectory" room, and where the Jehovah Witnesses are vying to take the Catholic faith away from being number one with their pedophile problems stemming from their Satanic "Two Witness Rule!" Praise!
Very worrying and sickening indeed.

It is hard to decide which cult wins the golden gong:.....

....The Catholics with their confession secrecy.
....Or the JWs with their 2 witness policy.

I would go for the second option for being so absurd. and think of this also....by reason of guilt by association the 2 witnesses plus the offender plus the victim, one would label a foursome.
In which case, do you reckon that the 2 witnesses are going to tell, since technically they were in on the action?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Salixes

Salixes
Salixes

Yep, it would take someone like Seth MacFarlane to take that little ditty and stretch it out for all its worth.

He would finish the punchline right, then:

Caring Sensitive Home School Father: Now, where did I put that key? Where is it? Ohhh Geeziz, it's got be around here somewhere, Where did I put the goddamned thing..........oh, here it is, oh no, no, that's the lawn mower, or....let's look over there......no, no, that's a blow-up Maralyn Monroe doll......well it could be............etc. Oh, Oh ***k me dead, here it is. It's up my..............music starts and credits roll.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Dunno. The Left likes retroactively calling things that seemed to have always worked out well enough "dangerous", so it wouldn't at all surprise me that they'd take potshots at homeschooling next.

(It should be noted that most homeschooled families are suburban and white, so the fact that homeschooled students seem to score better than the general public school average isn't so impressive when viewed through that lens. But it's certainly not the humongous disaster that some people think it is. *Some* parents will exploit the option to deprive or abuse their kids, sure. But nobody fully accepts that the idea that if *some* people will abuse something it shouldn't be allowed at all. At best they believe this on a selective basis, in regards to particular things that they personally dislike while refusing to apply this same standard to other things they approve of. For example, you probably believe MTF students should be allowed to access women's bathroom and shower facilities in spite of the fact that *some* cis male students might unfortunately take advantage of this loophole to engage in voyeuristic activities.)
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Swagnarok
 But it's certainly not the humongous disaster that some people think it is
Probably not but I still remain skeptical as to why parents opt for home schooling, in other words, their motives.

I think that social interaction of kids with other kids is invaluable and in any case it is generally known that 80% of what school kids learn comes from home.

But to make kids different from others by separating them is not the way to go and you really have to question why parents perceive that what they are doing is any better.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Salixes
Probably not but I still remain skeptical as to why parents opt for home schooling, in other words, their motives.

That's easy: they don't want their kids influenced by the culture of promiscuity and bullying that defines public school. They don't want their kids going to school with the Eric Harrises and Nicholas Cruzes of this world. They don't want their kids going to school with drug pushers and addicts. They also perceive that the public school curriculum has an implicit and explicit secularist bias, which would serve to weaken religious belief.

I think that social interaction of kids with other kids is invaluable and in any case it is generally known that 80% of what school kids learn comes from home.

It's understandable that people worry about this, but homeschoolers tend to network with other homeschoolers. There are local associations and tight-knight circles that form accordingly. Some parents might not do this, but many do.

But to make kids different from others by separating them is not the way to go and you really have to question why parents perceive that what they are doing is any better.
That's kind of the point: most people are not Christian. If you want your kids to grow up to be Christian, you don't want them being like everyone else.

Something to keep in mind about this: parents cannot shield their kids forever. But what their formulative years are like for them is important. As adults they'll always have the easy option of living fully secular lives, having sex with whoever, social drinking with friends, cussing in traffic, and not giving a hoot about church. There won't be significant barriers between them and this kind of life, unless they're so hen-pecked that they cave in to pressure to get married young.
But having a religious upbringing gives a vision, rooted in memory, of something that they might possibly "come back to" one day. They probably won't, but at least it's a legitimate possibility that lingers in the back of one's mind. In this sense it actually increases rather than decreases choice. While the intent of parents is bias in favor of religion, the usual de facto result is simply to lessen the natural bias in favor of irreligion and to make for a more balanced individual.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
Atheist, state education is the only sensible way forward.

In fact atheism is the only sensible way forwards.

Trouble is human beings deludedly think that they have exceeded the need for common sense.

Perhaps China will be the salvation of humanity.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Salixes
I think social interaction should also be an important consideration for the well-rounded development kids need in order to function effectively in communities.

Social interaction can be obtained through extracurriculars.

Parents, in this case, are abusing the right to homeschool by censoring information (e.g. science subjects) from their kids and forcing a distorted and unrealistic view of the world to their kids in order to satisfy their own nefarious ends.
I do think parents should show both sides of an issue, maybe play Devil's advocate when their kid makes a claim to g et the kid to think.

I don't know the current requirements to homeschooling, but there probably are requirements to make sure the kid is educated.
Alec
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
Perhaps China will be the salvation of humanity.

China is a shothole commie country.  I hate them.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
 A very naïve and immature statement.

You must of had a very sheltered upbringing.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I remember as a kid going to a Chicago public school.

Over crowded classrooms often mixing grades together. Notes sent home from teachers with basic spelling and grammar mistakes.

How much worse could homeschooling be than that?

Don't answer that, I'm sure it could be worse. My experience in public school taught me to get my education in a library.