Should We Ban Religion?

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 78
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
One hundred years ago, the Bolsheviks; Vladimir Lenin and his followers commandeered Russia and set in motion a breathtakingly cruel experiment in economics and social engineering. Lenin and his followers promised a system that would release the repressed, empower the proletariat against a wealthy bourgeoisie and create a land of abundance and social justice. Communism would bury capitalism.

Instead, Communism slaughtered and buried at least 65 million people over the century and eventually, Soviet communism collapsed in1991. An experiment that was nothing more than an abject failure.

Despite all the atrocities committed in the name of communism, perhaps some good has come out of it. All organised religion was banned by the state and even today Russia shuns religion. For example, Putin was quite forthright in kicking out the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Can western, democratic society adopt the lead taken by Russia and ban organised religion?

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Salixes
Why would we? 

We're not overturning the 1st amendment, which allows for religious freedom.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
No, there is absolutely no reason to ban religion at all, it is an individual form of expression.

I really wish you'd take your whack ass provocateur act and the cast of douchebag characters you've dragged over here from your former home someplace else. This place might not have had the most activity but at least what was here was thoughtful for the most part (Mopac excepted). Now we're treated to you workshopping your 'bits' or whatever followed by enthang draggin up year old threads from your other username, then a bunch of insults between you, him, and various other non-contributing knuckleheads. You're going to kill this board, too. You'd do better DMing each other to get whatever charge you all do from thinking you're really crushing the other person or winning the forum or whatever. None of you could find a thought provoking topic if it landed on your face. Imagine what any of you, yourself, ethang, dynasty, others, imagine what you'd accomplish if you didn't spend so much time curating some internet personality you've created, trying to be some character we know none of you actually are in real life. Read a book, you assholes.

/rant.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Vladimir Putin goes to an Orthodox Church.

There is no shunning of religion today in Russia. Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc for the most part all live side by side in peace.

And most of those millions killed by the soviets were killed simply for being Christian.

No other regime that has ever existed produced more martyrs. It wasn't long after the church was allowed to speak freely that The Soviet Union collapsed.

If you want an example of what an anti-Christ government looks like in action, look no further than The Soviet Union. A fantastic modern example!

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Alec
Why would we? 

We're not overturning the 1st amendment, which allows for religious freedom. 
Well, you should at least think about amending the amendment....considering that many religious institutions are abusing their "right".

What right do they have to incite hatred and bigotry towards minority groups?
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
No other regime that has ever existed produced more martyrs. It wasn't long after the church was allowed to speak freely that The Soviet Union collapsed.

If you want an example of what an anti-Christ government looks like in action, look no further than The Soviet Union. A fantastic modern example!

So far as I'm concerned, the destruction of Churches by Stalin was replacing one religion with another.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
Yeah, the state religion of the USSR.

Militant atheistic communism.

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Salixes
Can western, democratic society adopt the lead taken by Russia and ban organised religion?
No, since there is no reason to do that.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Dynasty
No, since there is no reason to do that.
That was certainly a lengthy, detailed, reasoned and compelling response there.
Not.

Unfortunately you lose by default, once again.

Mopac
Mopac
I like living in a United Ststes with a working 1st amendment personally.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Salixes
No, never.  A democratic society cannot ban expressions of personal belief.  When it tries, it ceases to be a democratic society.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@oromagi
No, never.  A democratic society cannot ban expressions of personal belief.  When it tries, it ceases to be a democratic society.

A democratic society can ban expressions of belief, especially if society at large calls for the banning.

Church groups can cry and carry on (as they do) about their rights but what about the rights of society at large getting totally sick and tired of the hypocricy, bigotry, incitement of hatred, corruption, lying, deceit and abuse that are rife within Church Organisations.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
If you are doing the very thing you are accusing others of doing, maybe by your own judgement YOU should be silenced.

But that isn't how it works. You are fully within your rights to be a hypocritical bigot. You are fully within your rights to express those views.

See the difference? I think you are an asshole, but I respect your right to be an asshole. You on the other hand want to silence those you think are assholes.

If you ask me, which you didn't, I think that in itself makes it clear who is truly being evil.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
How can you ban an abstract concept?

You could ban and eradicate all the physical manifestations of religion.

But a ban would not prevent the ongoing transference of religious data.  

Anyway, religion is fun and good for stimulating discussion. As you well know.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Salixes
What right do they have to incite hatred and bigotry towards minority groups?
If they think they have to do that in order to gain eternal salvation, and if they have evidence for it, I'd rather be mean to an LGBT person then sentence a religious person to an eternity in hell if that's what their religion tells them to do.

Also, if LGBT people want conversion therapy, many on the left want to ban religious freedom for the gays that want conversion therapy.  They use religious freedom to get homosexuality legalized, but then stab at religious freedom when it's gays wanting to Christianize themselves by attending conversion therapy.

Also, hate speech is unpopular free speech.  That's why many extreme lefties believe saying something pro life is hate speech towards women.  I asked one of them what they thought was free speech if they thought being pro life was hate speech.  They didn't respond.  I guess they didn't support free speech.  I hope that this idea doesn't become mainstream, but I think it will.  We must do what we can to legalize all political speech, including anti LGBT speech.
Mopac
Mopac
The church does not incite hatred and bigotry, these are baseless and offensive accusations.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Salixes
And look at all it's done for the USSR nowadays! Oh wait...
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@ludofl3x
R.I.P

Bsh1
Ramshitu
Hari
Wylted
Disgusted

3 more to go.

The trashman cometh.

As I said, it is a thankless job. Some of the same people's whose street you clean, will turn around and insult you.

But that is life, everyone can't have IQ's above 75. You gotta take the idiots with the geniuses.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Salixes
Why do you hate Christians?
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas

As everyone can see for the umpteenth time, ethang5 enters another thread and does not, I repeat, does not address the main topic at hand, but only dribbles out irrelevancy as he runs away from it.  Poor ol' ethang5 is one of the most predictable members of this forum by always running away from topics because he can't begin to address them in kind.  

Now, watch ol' ethang5 come back and posit even more childish excuses of why he has to run from the astute members of this forum that actually have an IQ that is above 75 to post topics to begin with, whereas ethang5 can only dream about doing this himself.  Truly sad.  :(

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
The church does not incite hatred and bigotry, these are baseless and offensive accusations.

They are not baseless and offensive accusations.

They are facts properly supported by evidence, proof, and reason. Facts that have not been refuted as per my posts in this forum as you very well know. 

The claim that you made right here is baseless and, well maybe not offensive, but certainly flippant and stupid.
You should make an effort to think about what you say. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
How pretentious.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Why do you hate Christians?
I'm glad you asked that because I simply give my standard answer, the same as what Christians do when asked: 

"why do you hate gays".
or
"why do you hate abortionists"
or
"why do you hate assisted death advocates"
or 
"why do you hate unmarried mothers"
or
"why do you hate unmarried couples"
or
"why do you hate people of other faiths"
or
"why do you hate medical practitioners"
or
"why do you hate atheists"
or
"why do you hate scientists"
or
"why do you hate Christians from other denominations"
or
"why do you hate anybody who dares question your stupidity"
or
"why do you hate just about anybody and everybody else who does not belong to your in crowd"

So, deservedly so, I give them back a dose of their own medicine and see how they like it:

"I don't hate Christians, in fact, I love them. I just hate what they do"

You see, Christians seem to have registered copyright on the word "hate".
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
If you don't hate Christians, how come you won't believe when you are told that your beliefs concerning us are false?

If you loved me, you wouldn't insist that what you say I believe is what I believe. Instead you would allow me to correct your misconceptions.

What you show me is prejudice, not love.

That being the case, you are not giving me a taste of any medicine I have given you.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Alec
I asked one of them what they thought was free speech if they thought being pro life was hate speech. 
Well said.
To some, free speech constitutes what they think should be so and condemn other people's (legal) right to free speech if it is not compatible with their own self-centered bitter hatred.

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
If you don't hate Christians, how come you won't believe when you are told that your beliefs concerning us are false?

Because, my beliefs concerning people of your ilk are not false.

It is simply not good enough for you to make a claim that somebody's beliefs are false especially when you know that somebody has done extensive research and fully and carefully justified his belief.

You are certainly living up to your cult's reputation of being ignorant, arrogant, lying and evil.

Is it that there is not an honest bone in your body that makes you come out with such unwarranted, nonsense claims against others?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
If you can not explain to me what I believe to my satisfaction, you do not understand my beliefs.

You have no justifiable reason to believe that I am anything you say I am, you are simply being prejudice.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
Lets get real for a second. This topic is you calling for the ban of religion.

I am my religion.

You are effectively wishing death on me. There is no love in that.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Mopac
Report Salixes for hate speech
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
I don't report posts, but you are welcome to.