GOOD ADVICE

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 15
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
Once upon a time there was a strong tree.

This tree was the largest tree in the area.

One day, an acorn asked the tree how it grew so strong.

Well, little one, the tree replied, I was once a little acorn just like yourself!

I didn't fall in exactly the ideal spot, with the richest soil, there were many rocks around and it was a bit sandy, but I made the best of my situation, kept my chin-up, dug down as deep as I could, sprouted in the spring time, that's important, then I diligently soaked up as much water and minerals and sunshine as I could.

I had a few competitors around that time, other acorns had sprouted, and there was a lot of tall grass and weeds, but I just kept a positive attitude and did what came naturally.

The little acorn asked, what happened to the other saplings?

Well, the tree explained, they were all cut down by the farmer.

The little acorn asked, why were they cut down and why did the farmer spare you?

The tree thought for a second and then replied carefully, they were inferior, they weren't true to themselves, the wise farmer knew that I was the best and spared me because only a sapling with my work ethic and authenticity could grow into such a mighty tree.

The farmer even placed this nice picnic table in the shade of my branches to reward me for being superior.

That's amazing! The little acorn exclaimed, I'll follow your advice because I want to be just like you!

A whole year passed and the little acorn grew into a formidable sapling.

And then, in the spring, the farmer came to clear the brush.

The sapling was unceremoniously uprooted and bundled up and carried away with all the overgrown grass and fallen twigs.

With it's last dying breath it asked the strong tree, what did I do wrong?

The tree shrugged, you just didn't have the talent for it kid. You doubted yourself. You didn't suck up enough water and minerals and sunshine. You weren't true to yourself.

It's your own fault.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I think the lesson here to be learned is that even when we are blessed, we should be humble enough to recognize that on our own we can do nothing. To take pride in what we have been graced with is a foolish error that leads to delusion. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
I think that all that this tells us is, that as things stand, homo-sapiens is pretty much the dominant species here on Earth.

The fable itself is too obviously fraught with unrealism and inaccuracies to be "good advice" or in fact advisory at any level.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
If this is a satire piece preaching left-wing ethos about how ridiculous the 'I worked for what I earn' mantra by born-into-wealth people is, then I applaud it. 

If this is actually trying to preach what it blatantly states towards the end, then I think the writer just got lucky in life.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
The fable itself is too obviously fraught with unrealism and inaccuracies to be "good advice" or in fact advisory at any level.
Oh, you must be referring to the talking trees, I agree, that is pretty unrealistic.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
If this is a satire piece preaching left-wing ethos about how ridiculous the 'I worked for what I earn' mantra by born-into-wealth people is, then I applaud it. 
Even people who weren't "born-into-wealth" have not "created their own fortune".

Homeless shelters and prisons are packed full of people who had an exceptional work-ethic and stayed-true-to-themselves.

The idiots who got rich don't even know why they got rich and naturally assume it's because they're superior in some way.

What worked for J.D. Rockefeller or Steve Jobs or Bill Gates years and years ago, WON'T WORK FOR YOU NOW. Stop buying their books!!

They've specifically changed the laws to PREVENT anyone from using the same tactics that they used back then.

There are a zillion and one contemporaries of J.D. Rockefeller who were just as "smart" or "smarter" who were "100% true to themselves" and worked hard all day every day and they didn't "make it to the top".

What we're dealing with is SAMPLE-BIAS, more specifically SURVIVOR-BIAS.

...and the fundamental-attribution-error.

14 days later

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
I just have to ask, knowing that no story truly ends, what happens when the farmer, needing a new, bigger house, because all the kids came back home with their families because they didn't understand the tree, either, and now the farmer needs a bigger house, and that big tree looks like a mighty fine resource of raw material? How quickly can this tree evolve legs?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
I just have to ask, knowing that no story truly ends, what happens when the farmer, needing a new, bigger house, because all the kids came back home with their families because they didn't understand the tree, either, and now the farmer needs a bigger house, and that big tree looks like a mighty fine resource of raw material? How quickly can this tree evolve legs?
Good point.

The strong-tree does not exist on its own merit (it is not a "self-made-tree").  It exists at the fickle whim of the farmer.

256 days later

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
Here's a video detailing the "GOOD ADVICE" story,

In 2 minutes and 15 seconds,

(IFF) you're wondering "what's the point of this story" (THEN) watch the following,

In 23 minutes and 2 seconds,
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Eh, but trees don't have coinousness. JK, okay that's not my real response, but no, its not its fault, that's assuming it was possible to inroot quickly enough that the farmer couldn't uproot it, which in a lot of cases isn't possible. So no, its the Farmers fault and luck
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@3RU7AL
The acorn was in the trees shadow quite literally. The acorn had no choice in the matter both physically and metaphorically. 
Advice such as “be true to yourself” mean little when you’re an acorn.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yep.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
But from the strong tree's perspective, it's the best advice they think they can give.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@3RU7AL
With it's last dying breath it asked the strong tree, what did I do wrong?

The tree shrugged, you just didn't have the talent for it kid. You doubted yourself. You didn't suck up enough water and minerals and sunshine. You weren't true to yourself.
Really? The tree’s a douche.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
100%