universal catastrophic coverage while outlawing all other health insurance should be implemented

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 9
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
what if the usa implemented universal catastrophic coverage, while outlawing all other health insurance, and forcing americans to pay out of pocket up to a percent of their income per year. maybe ten or fifteen percent of their income. we would naturally encourage Health Savings Accounts that already exist. we would also require as trump pushed, for all prices for health costs to be advertised up front. i would also consider coercing people to save in their health savings accounts every year and making their whole account fair game before coverage kicks in.

the good thing about this system is that it would pressure people not to abuse their access to healthcare, to save on their deductible. the lack of so much insurance and government blank checks for routine care would drive down costs, with the free market. 

would conservatives here back this plan, why or why not? what about liberals, what's so bad about this plan? 

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@n8nrgmi
a percent of their income per year. maybe ten or fifteen percent of their income.

Assuming we adopt this and go with is 15% (just so I can do the math to demonstrate my question)

If someone makes $40k a year you are saying they pay out of pocket for the first $6k.

Here is the question... Where does the extra $2k come from when their health bills for the year are $8k?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
everyone's catastrophic coverage kicks in when they've paid their deductible. so the government covers the extra 2k. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
I believe (not 100% sure) but the Medicare/Medicaid programs were just that, catastrophic coverage, but then they became unaffordable entitlements, covering much more than they were originally designed.  Going to a more cash based system will lower costs provided there is transparency for costs.  

About 30% of emergency department visits among patients with common chronic conditions are potentially unnecessary, leading to $8.3 billion in additional costs for the industry, according to a new analysis.Feb 7, 2019

now factor in the ghetto whore who won't spend $1 at the dollar store for a pregnancy test, instead goes to the e.r. for it because she gets medicaid and you should be able to see the vast amount of waste in the healthcare system.  Like most things it's far worse that we even know.

I'd happily support a system where people get things they actually NEED if they get rid of the abuse and waste as much as possible.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Personal accountability in one's own health is too much to ask for, eh?

If you only follow the doctor's advice when it comes to taking pills, you are going to spend your later years getting your blood swapped out of your body 3 days a week while half of your heart is mase up of artificial parts, and your diet consists of a cocktail of pills and porridge.

I mean hey, if being kept alive while half of your organs rot out is your idea of living, go ahead. 

Who actually takes their doctor's advice? Don't eat too much, and eat your veggies. Go out and walk or something, any kind of exercise. You can't expect to be healthy in your later years if you spend your earlier years sucking down cheesy lard covered beef sandwhiches and fried tubors while washing it down with carbonated corn syrup water.

Do I think healhcare is a legitimate thing for the government to help citizens with? Yeah, it seems to make sense. Do I think is a right? No. Is it abusable? Oh certainly. The people who think that there are pills that can negate their gluttony and slothfulness screw everything up for everybody. They bog down the healthcare system in their greedy desire to live forever and live like pigs. 

Love them anyway, don't be mean to them. Really, the humbling experience they have during their later years might be what some of them need to repent of the pride that lead them to their miserable state. How can you say no to treating these people? That would be cold hearted for sure.

I maintain that the problems our country faces are rooted in spiritual illnesses, and that only so much can be accomplished politically. A perfect government can not govern a stubborn and rebellious people who are wholly inclined to wickedness.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@n8nrgmi
How's this different from medicare for all?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Alec
routine and less expensive care is subject to the free market and paid out of pocket by the users
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
while outlawing all other health insurance.

Why is this necessary? Can't we have private health insurance for day to day visits and universal catastrophic coverage together? This was the reason why Obamacare was so unpopular. People really like customizable private healthcare plans as a choice.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Why is this necessary? Can't we have private health insurance for day to day visits and universal catastrophic coverage together? This was the reason why Obamacare was so unpopular. People really like customizable private healthcare plans as a choice.
the problem is that they are mutually exclusive. The government provided plan would cover most, if not all care. Why would you allow private companies to charge people money for things they are already covered for? At that point it would just be outright theft.