Is veganism a good thing for the world

Author: Alec

Total: 19
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I see veganism as consistent pro life ethic.  It is good for your health, it's good for the planet, it's something we'll have to do in order to increase the carrying capacity to 10 billion people.  Currently, it's at 2.5 billion.  It also saves billions of animals per year.  If we can force a huge amount of pain on a woman to save 1 life, it seems consistent to forgo a slight amount of flavor that lasts only 5 seconds (and even this is upgraded with good vegan products) to encourage veganism.

What are your thoughts on this?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
PRO.  Vegan, vegetarian, meatless Mondays, whatever.  Humans have to spend way more calories making meat than making fruits and veg. Meat adds to greenhouse gases, plants subtract.  The number of recent epidemics that likely originate from meat-eating (including coronavirus) should also give us pause.

Humans will eventually adapt to meat-free diets but whether we adapt for common sense reasons or adapt because we ate all the animals is yet to be seen.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I personally eat a vegan diet. 

I do think overall it is a more environmentally conscious way to eat. However, from what I understand it is not practical in some places to eat in this way. In places where vegetation is sparse, or the vegetation isn't nutritious people eat things like cheese. Besides that, sometimes eating more than vegetables is good for the sickly who need to eat more to get well.

Do I think that vegetarianism is a thing to be enforced by government? Absolutely not. Encouraged maybe. I know that at least for us Orthodox Christians, the church prescribes fasts that if properly followed would result in a mostly vegan diet for around half of the year. This is good both for temperance and yes, even the environment.

Gluttony in general is not good for the environment(or health), especially on a society wide scale. Americans tend to eat too much, because we live in a very resource rich country. We have a lot of food. It is abundant and cheap. 

If veganism was enforced, what would we do with all the livestock? They would not be profitable to take care of, and simply letting them run around free could not be good for the environment. 

I think it's a complicated issue. I, maybe being very American in my mentality, would prefer to err on the side of personal freedom and accountability. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
I do think overall it is a more environmentally conscious way to eat.
the amounts and kinds of fertilizers and pesticides are not environmentally friendly, so I'm not sure it's any better than animal farms, certainly would depend on the farm, the free range, natural type I would say are more environmentally friendly than the corn, wheat and soybean fields.

some people thrive very well on a vegetarian/vegan diet, some do not and others thrive on a carnivore diet, others still thrive on a balance of meat and vegetables.  I think it's very individualistic.

there are some predictions (because I really wouldn't call them studies) that claim we could not grow enough for a vegetarian populous, though I suppose with the gmos and other manipulations it could be possible, but would that be a good thing?  ever see what a native corn and wheat plant look like?  nothing like what is grown today.
I avoid wheat, corn and don't eat soy, from everything I have read they are not good for you at all.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If you are to go vegan, it requires that a little bit more thought be put into what you eat. Just because someone  is vegan doesn't mean they eat healthy.

I think that besides maybe certain things that can be genetic, what one does on a day to day basis is important to take into account.

What do I do? Eat a lot of carbs to be honest. 

Beans and rice

Quinoa 

Kale, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts.

I tend to go for high nutrient foods. Those up there make up the staple of my diet. I eat fruit as they are in season. I love pomegranates. I suppose I also eat a lot of a avocados.

I am not very scientific about I eat. 

Last Christmas fast I went vegan keto. I don't recommend doing this, I had no idea what I was getting into. Definitely not a sustainable diet.

Last Lent I ate nothing but bread(it was sprouted bread though, which is really nutritious). My wife thought I was trying to starve myself to death, so halfway into it I compromised and agreed to eat any veggies she would put between my bread.

Lent for us starts Monday, and I will be touring monasteries to find one to settle in(my wife is dead, so I intend on becoming a monk). I will eat whatever they have for me to eat there. 

Monks tend to eat vegetarian, and they are some of the healthiest people you can find.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Being vegan is a detriment. You have significantly weaker immune system and gain less amino acids, causing your body to feel ill more often. We need to limit our meat intake without a doubt so we can preserve animals and such tactics, but cutting out meat is harmful to our bodies and ruins the food chain and Darwinism, which is vital to our survival
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
it would be beneficial for people to cut way back on meat, but there are some nutrients that only come from meat.  look at human teeth and their digestive system.... humans are designed to have meat as part of their diet. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Vader
With the greatest of respect, the final 22 words of your last post were a tad ridiculous.

Perhaps you could explain in greater detail, the rationale that supports these comments.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
A. The current World population is approximately 7.6 billion.

B. It would mean that we would not breed billions of animals, rather than save billions of animals lives.

C. The planet will save itself..... What you are worried about is saving yourself and humankind.

D. "If we can force a huge amount of pain etc"...…..What has this got to do with veganism and who is doing the forcing?

E. A healthy diet is only one aspect of healthy living. Veganism is not a panacea for the sustainability of both the individual and humanity.

F. Meat has a quite bland taste.  We tend to add the flavour with mostly vegetable derived substances and a substantial amount of salt of course.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Vader
You have significantly weaker immune system and gain less amino acids, causing your body to feel ill more often

https://wellnessforce.com/the-science-of-why-vegans-get-sick/ agrees with you, but I don't think it states why this is the case.  Since I don't notice a strong correlation between how vegan you are and health, it ought to be pursued on the grounds that veganism saves many animals per year.  I don't believe it's 100 per year as PETA claims per person, but it's definitely high.

is harmful to our bodies and ruins the food chain and Darwinism
I fail to see why humans need to participate in the food chain to begin with.  If your worried about animals that we eat overpopulating, we just castrate the animals so the animals don't have to exist.  How is it harmful to our bodies?

All my points that I mentioned still stand.
Alec
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
It would mean that we would not breed billions of animals, rather than save billions of animals lives.
<br>
Since we wouldn't be breeding them for food, they would be saved from having to be killed.  Just as birth control prevents fetuses from being killed, not breeding animals prevents animals from being slaughtered.

What you are worried about is saving yourself and humankind.
Basically.

What has this got to do with veganism and who is doing the forcing?
It's to show that if women are forced to give birth in order to save a life that doesn't have will or intellect, or if 40% of the population backs forcing her to give birth in order to save an unborn baby, a stance that I agree with, that we should eventually give an animal the same treatment that we would give an unborn baby.

Veganism is not a panacea for the sustainability of both the individual and humanity.
It's not necessarily the sole solution, but it does do way more good than harm and I think it should be encouraged.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec
PETA isn’t pro-life. They kill over 80% of their “rescues”
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Leave it to the people. Why is this even a question 
Alec
Alec
-->
@bmdrocks21
I think they "rescue" animals in a condition that they don't know how to save, and then they give the animal a lethal injection.  If I were in the situation where I couldn't save an animal from something and could either kill the animal or let the animal live in a painful state, I'd probably shoot the animal in the back of the head, southern style.  Quick death with a small amount of pain.  I'd rather get shot in the back of the head than a lethal injection.  Being numb from the lethal injection is ironically so painful and scary for me.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec

WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@bmdrocks21
lmao
Alec
Alec
-->
@bmdrocks21
Seems out of character for PETA since they made multiple articles about how they want you to own pets.

However, when I'm 18, I can ask PETA about this incident.

It's possible to be pro vegan and anti PETA, just as on abortion, it's possible to be pro life and against the march for life, which I am because they put religion into abortion too much.  If PETA focused more on getting people to be vegan and less on the other issues, and if they didn't kill animals themselves, then I would support them.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@Alec
Another important thing is that a lot of diseases were caused by eating meat in the first place. 

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
Being vegan is a detriment. You have significantly weaker immune system and gain less amino acids, causing your body to feel ill more often. We need to limit our meat intake without a doubt so we can preserve animals and such tactics, but cutting out meat is harmful to our bodies and ruins the food chain and Darwinism, which is vital to our survival
Evolutionism has been replaced and veganism is a deadly symptom of this

Veganism in Humans is natures way of correcting the replacing evolution with technological evolution
<br>