Proof Of Concept: Completely Anonymous Debate Tournament

Author: Lunatic

Total: 19
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
Hello everyone! I have an idea for what I feel would be a fun concept for a debate tournament. The idea would be that all the participants are completely anonymous throughout the tournament, until the end where I announce the winner of the tournament and their identity. 

How it will work, I will create a discord server for the two challengers each round, in which case they will use an anonymous discord name that doesn't distinguish who one another is. They agree to the terms of the debate, (round length, time limit, etc). Then they will both have 3 days each to submit arguments to me via google doc. Once that document is sent to me I will copy and paste that argument into my own google document as a stamped final, so the debater cannot make edits later after the argument is submitted. After all round of argumentation are submitted, I will send the completed google doc with both debaters arguments separately to 3 volunteer judges who will decide the winner between the anonymous pro and con. 

Since this is a proof of concept idea that I want to see if it will work, I will start with 4 test subjects. If you are interested in participating in this tournament, please message me privately. I will announce when I have 4 volunteers and we can start this. There will be the main round then a final round, before the winner is announced. If this turns out well I'd like to try an 8 man out later.

I will need 3 judges but your identity doesn't need to be hidden. I would prefer judges with a lot of debate experience, and who are generally open minded with how they reserve judgment. RFD's will be messaged to the debaters after a decision is made on the winner.

Judges

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
interesting
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Lunatic
I volunteer to be a judge.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Probably can't participate due to my lack of reliable Discord access (shut off apartment wifi to move into new house but haven't bothered to set up house wifi yet and mobile data is too weak for Discord). I like the concept though, would it still be possible to apply for a judge position despite lack of Discord access?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yes
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
*Sends in application for judge position*

Lunatic
Lunatic
Judges

1. oromagi
2. DD

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
It is against Discord Terms of Use to create 2 accounts, both with email (so not guest accounts) where you're regularly using both and communicating via them. Especially if the user joins any servers their other account is in as that is seen as 'traffic buffing'. You get server rewards as a nitro booster towards a server (your actual ability to 'give' to the server) based on how many are in it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I am not going to participate in this nonsense, I would have to create a gmail account solely for Discord and for Docs use that forces me to log out of my other account(s). This will alert the Discord server which will ask me to provide a phone number (this has happened to me before) as I frequently use VPN to browse it. Then it will realise I am the same guy as the other account I have and ban me on both. That is terrible for me.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
It is against Discord Terms of Use to create 2 accounts,
You can change your name anytime on discord, no need for alts.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
Everyone else I talk to on Discord won't enjoy that and neither will I. Also, everyone on the DART server will notice it. Why can't you anonymously post on the Doc without any new Discord account?
Lunatic
Lunatic
Everyone else I talk to on Discord won't enjoy that and neither will I.

It's so easy, I have a hard time sympathizing that this is a big deal.

Also, everyone on the DART server will notice it.
You all of DART's spokeperson?

Why can't you anonymously post on the Doc without any new Discord account?
I will post the document normally to their dart account. The discord is for topic discussion.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
Sounds cool

I suggest the participants agree to a formatting style, to both further hide their identities and to make things better for the readers.

David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Lunatic
If you guys are interested, I'd be willing to open a few anonymous accounts that I can lend out to you for the duration of your debate and you can do it text-wise 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@David
That would be cool actually. I was going to ask you guys if we could do that if I ever did this as a real thing. I didnt ask because I wanted to test it and see how it would work out first
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Lunatic
That would be cool actually. I was going to ask you guys if we could do that if I ever did this as a real thing. I didnt ask because I wanted to test it and see how it would work out first

Fair point. Though obviously the account will be used only for debating. All other permission will be revoked. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Let's say a user uses the account (or uses that account on their IP and then with the same IP on their other account does things) in a way that is vulgar, threatening, obscene, rule-breaking, law-breaking and such.

What legal documentation and clauses will you have in place so that the rest of us are not associated with their activities on it? 

9 days later

Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
Is RM joking or is this just some next level need to be put in a mental institution type paranoia? 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
Let's say a user uses the account (or uses that account on their IP and then with the same IP on their other account does things) in a way that is vulgar, threatening, obscene, rule-breaking, law-breaking and such.

What legal documentation and clauses will you have in place so that the rest of us are not associated with their activities on it? 
For any fear of that, just have a new temp account each anonymous debate.

The sides could be "ProIF" vs "ConIF" or "ProAnon1" vs "ConAnon1"