Isn't It Amazing?

Author: Willows

Read-only
Total: 15
Willows
Debates: 0
Willows
We all see this crazy phenomenon from time to time and all sane-minded level-headed folk justifiably nod their heads and say, "What the?"

I'm talking about panic buying here and, in particular, relating to the Coronavirus scare.

The media are having a field day reporting on crazed people buying up all supplies of toilet paper. There are even videos showing delirious shoppers fighting over the last rolls on supermarket shelves. And why?

Ask these panic buyers and they suddenly behave like stunned mullets in their replies....."Errrr, like, I dunno really" or "Derrr, well everybody else is doing it so that's why I'm buying all this dunny paper, so um yeah".

The "more informed" panic buyers explain that they have heard that if they catch the Coronavirus, they will be quarantined in their own homes and don't want to run out of essential items...."And, and, oh gee, if I don't buy now all the stores will be completely bought out".

Of course, the quarantine bit was nothing more than a Chinese whisper that went viral (neat double-word pun eh?) and in any case, how stupid to think that such a tactic would work or even be implemented by the authorities. No sirree there's no mucking around, they simply whack you into the nearest hospital isolation ward or, for a lucky few, you get to go on an extended cruise. And of course, you will have plenty of paper to wipe your.......err nose.

So, what's all this got to do with religion I hear you cry in your relentless search for the truth? For one thing, my JW father-in-law is running around like a chook with a severed head declaring that this is it. The end of the world is nigh. He reckons he won't need any toilet paper where he's going so he won't be buying up supplies. Nevertheless, he's bleeding stupid though.

What I'm getting at is that not "everybody" is panic buying. It's only a few deluded, naive, gullible, excitedly impressionable people who tend to get sucked in by sensationalism.

Doesn't that sound a heck of a lot like how people gravitate towards religion?
And what I would like to know, are they folders or scrunchers?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Willows
The whole coronavirus issue is a tad bizarre any way.

Why this level of concern over this particular virus.

Do some people know something that most people are not being told.

Did this emanate from a Chinese laboratory. Perhaps the cleaner fancied lab rat for supper.

Or is it all designed to destabilise and distract us from other things.

Definitely one for the conspiracy theorists this.

Though I'm not sure if there is any statistical evidence to support the notion that theists are more likely to panic buy than  people of other conceptual persuasions.

Maybe this would be an opportune moment to get into the bidet business. 

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@zedvictor4
Why this level of concern over this particular virus.

That's easy to answer. This particular virus, you see, has been featured extensively in the news.

Logical? No.

Predictable? Yes.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I use an entirely different tactic that allows me to sit back and watch the panic. I live on 10 acres at 7500 feet in the rocky mountains, with a 29 panel array of solars on my 4K sq ft stone house. I have a 2k gal cistern of fresh water, 2.5 years of freeze dried food storage [which, in many cases, tastes better than fresh because the flavor is concentrated, and about one year of toilet paper and other supplies. By buying a little at a time, there's no panic, and I don't have to participate in that madness. I rotate the food and water so none is too old, although freeze-dried is good to go for 25 years. I grow enough fruit and vegetables to accommodate an entire year, plus enough to either freeze dry or vacuum seal and freeze - totally avoids freezer burn. What I don't have: a boat, a  jet ski, a snowmobile, a trailer... All can be rented when needed without loans al over the place. Oh, the only debt I would normally carry is my car, but it's paid off, as is the house. I highly recommend this tactic.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@zedvictor4
Definitely one for the conspiracy theorists this.
Though I'm not sure if there is any statistical evidence to support the notion that theists are more likely to panic buy than  people of other conceptual persuasions.

I think there could be a bit of weight to that argument.
There are two things to consider.

1) There is evidence of what is known as a God gene called vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), which predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystic experiences. 

2) Those of such a disposition have also been found to take things at face value rather than make informed choices.

So, it could be that some people are just born to panic buy.
Oh, and become religious.
Seth
Seth
-->
@Salixes
Is there an app for that? lol
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@fauxlaw
Do you own a gun?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Salixes
1 & 2.  

Interesting. 

Will have to research before I can comment further.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Probably goes without saying.

Probably more than one.
ethang5
ethang5
There is also evidence of what is known as a God gene called vestalker monotopic  transpammer 2 (VMOT2), which predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystical delusions of "saving" religious  people or "exposing" religious people.

So, it could be that some people are just born to panic buy.
Oh, and become religious trolls.
Seth
Seth
-->
@fauxlaw
Ooh a preper, you'll beat the angels of armageddon.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ethang5
"other supplies."
specifics unnecessary. I'm prepared.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Seth
I am an angel of armageddon, with weapons you never see, and more effective than guns, or any other armament you would normally think about. The 1A does not specify "guns," does it? We've been prepping since Adam, yeah? It's called "ready."

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@fauxlaw
other supplies."
specifics unnecessary.
No, they are not.

I'm prepared
Its your life, your family, and your property. No blame from me.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
No, they are not.
As you say

Its your life, your family, and your property. No blame from me.
My stuff; my prerogative to reveal what it is, isn't it?