Italy
Face Masks
White Suits
Disinfectant Spraying
Media Hype
Destabilisation
Mass Migration
Conspiracy.

I'm usually disparaging about conspiracy theories. But there just seems to be something odd about all the attention being given to yet another seasonal respiratory virus, that typically most people will recover from quickly and some older and more vulnerable people may die as a result of.

What's different this time around?

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@zedvictor4

News people are talking about it. That's pretty much it from what I can tell.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
Having no 24-hour cable news, and multiple channels of it of it, we might be exposed to just about what the subject deserves. Once a void is filled, there is no guarantee what fills it is beneficial, let alone wanted.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Seems like you have your answer.

Coronavirus has killed almost 4000 people altogether so far. Regretable, yes, but not something that should have taken over 10% off the NASDAQ (and 3.5% out of my personal portfolio in just 2 days before I decided to liquidate and wait for sanity to return).

Meanwhile malaria kills over 1000 people each day. Why no huge malaria panic? Because news people aren't talking about malaria.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
We also don't know how many of the corona deaths would have been seasonal normal flu deaths anyway.

Especially since we know of 20,000 deaths from "normal" flu this season in the USA and only a handful of deaths (22)  from Corona in the USA.

In a world of almost 10 billion people, you have to have at least a few 100 million deaths for it to be an actual pandemic. Losing less than 1% of the global population to the flu isn't a real threat.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
We also don't know how many of the corona deaths would have been seasonal normal flu deaths anyway.

Irrelevant. This panic would still be completely unjustified if the flu didn't even exist. Malaria deaths have been on a significant decline over the last decade yet still malaria kills more people in half a week than coronavirus has all season.

Why no end-of-the-world panic over malaria? Because people grew up hearing about malaria. It's mundane. You can't convince someone that malaria is going to end the world when it has been going on so long already and has failed to do so. Coronavirus is a  new and scary name though so it must be bad!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I guess so, but 20,000 deaths vs 22 isn't very scary to me.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Why are you comparing worldwide flu deaths to U.S. coronavirus deaths?

It would make more sense to compare worldwide flu deaths to worldwide coronavirus deaths.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
The only one I found was USA flu deaths, Do you have a (nearly) accurate stat for worldwide flu deaths?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
22 is USA  deaths. Where did I say world corona deaths?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Your nit-picking is raising my troll antennae.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Nevermind, I misread the source I was looking at earlier. I thought the 20k figure was the worldwide count.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Your nit-picking is raising my troll antennae.
<br>

Your habit of constantly assuming that everyone who doesn't nod along with every word you say must be part of some type of plot against you is not conducive to a mindset that would favor truth over bias.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You have a point. I'll scale down my skepticism. It is the interwebz after all.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I decided to liquidate and wait for sanity to return

Why decide to liquidate? Transfer, maybe, but why liquidate to cash? You've just decided that your portfolio represents that companies have taken a hit in market value, whereas those companies may have a maintained book value that could actually increase. Move to protect your portfolio value against loss, but liquidation is simply a bet that your cash will maintain value. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
@Discipulus_Didicit
@fauxlaw
Yep, sure.
But.
Media fuelled hype certainly, but government inspired.
Isolation, communities and countries in lockdown, white suited and bemasked people in all the media images.

So, just being a conspiracy theorist for a change and putting the question out there.
Global destabilisation perhaps.
High profile fake news diverting attention from the real issue.
What might we be missing?

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@fauxlaw
Why decide to liquidate? Transfer, maybe, but why liquidate to cash?

Because the market is down overall, meaning that choosing investments without putting a significant amount of time into researching the available choices is virtually guaranteed to lose money. I have much better things I could be doing with my time such as working, planning the remodeling of my new house, banging my girlfriend, grocery shopping, etc.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
All good reasons, I concur. Fortunately, I have the pleasure of retirement, and I have completed the finishing of my basement as expanded residence, so time is not a limitation. Good luck on all those activities, the generous companion included.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I have been saying this as well.  There's really not much else for the news to report on since most of the political stuff isn't as hot as it once was.

as a side note this is all b.s.
it takes 48-72 hours for a presumptive positive, then 7 days to confirm that positive.  imagine how many people will never be tests because their symptoms aren't that bad (same is true for flu etc)  they really think this can be contained?  lol um, no.

I don't know what the sensitivity and specificity for the test is, but it's a pcr test so probably pretty good, but not 100% so there's there, but I'll bet it's expesnive!

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I have been saying this as well.

Yeah, seems to be the general consensus of pretty much everyone on the site.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
Probably the fact that it's new, more infectious and more deadly than common seasonal respiratory viruses
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@dustryder
Are you sure that your facts are correct?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@zedvictor4
Yes?

It's definitely new

It reportedly has a R0 of 2-3 whereas the common flu has a R0 of 1.3

It reportedly has a mortality rate of anywhere between 0.2% to 14.8% depending on your age whereas the common flu is around 0.1%
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@zedvictor4
Are you sure that your facts are correct?

It is more infectious and lethal than the flu, that much seems pretty obvious. Is there some reason you think this not to be the case?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
There's no panic over malaria because unless you're living near the equator, which is not most internet dwellers, you aren't even remotely at risk for it. It's an irrelevant factor for most 1st world societies. Coronavirus however has a very real chance of infecting and killing your great aunt Sally.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Just heard a good joke:

If we really want to kill the Covid-19, all we need to do is tell Hillaryous Balloon Girl that the virus has dirt on her. Her mafia will take care of that virus pronto!

256 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@zedvictor4
Oof, this thread is ironic.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm usually disparaging about conspiracy theories. But there just seems to be something odd about all the attention being given to yet another seasonal respiratory virus, that typically most people will recover from quickly and some older and more vulnerable people may die as a result of.

I keep hearing the phrases " the great reset" and  " the new normal"  coming from MSM and some world leaders, Vic. Although there has been a little backpedaling on both and I am not hearing this as often than I was at the beginning of this excuse to entomb us in our homes until Easter at least when we will be sprung from our graves some time between the 5th and the 12th of April and emerge into the new normal like Noah from the Ark  into new normal, new world  and a new age.

And maybe some religious freak will even suggest  setting the clock back to the year 0?  

You heard it here first Vic.