Does the 1A combat itself by freedom of speech and religion?

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 10
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
In the First Amendment, the religion gig is followed directly by freedom of speech, and we manage to understand that one very well, unless we're talking about religion. After telling us we essentially have liberty to say whatever we damn well please, accepting all consequence of such speech, as is prudent, we interpret by back-up and say, arbitrarily, and incorrectly, that our freedom of speech is curtailed in the public practice of religion - any religion. Prayer, in public is taboo. We argue over symbols; a concrete speech, if you will. The two interpretations combat one another, don't they? Do you think that is what Madison had in mind?

secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@fauxlaw
Has someone told you you are not free to pray in public? This is false.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
our freedom of speech is curtailed in the public practice of religion - any religion. Prayer, in public is taboo.

[Citation needed]
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes, I know. But, when I lived in Boulder, CO, once upon a time, I was on an adjutant city government committee. Meeting with the Mayor on one occasion, I mentioned a short prayer would be appropriate as we were trying to tackle a thorny issue with lots of contention. I though a calming spirit could prevail. The Mayor told me to shove it up my arse. I told him he was a bitter old man [he was younger than me] and perhaps the source of our contention. He was.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@fauxlaw
If he did say that it was impolite but a case could be made for having your prayer quietly in the parking lot so as not to encroach on government buisness.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@secularmerlin
so as not to encroach on government buisness.
Oh? A prayer is offered from the well of both the House and Senate every day those bodies are in session.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
Would you be comfortable being made to pray an Islamic prayer? A jewish incantation? If someone started your town hall meeting with a Hindu meditation? 

I'd say the house and senate should open with moments of silence for reflection, then anyone can silently pray whatever they want to whoever they want, if they want to at all. Would that be acceptable? What if your mayor said "No problem, just keep it to yourself," would that have been acceptable?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
I am not offended by the sincere prayer offered by anyone of any faith, for they all attempt to reach divinity, by whatever name we give that Entity, in supplication and gratitude. The exercise of faith is not bordered by names, titles, and devotees of religion. That some people, regardless or their access to religious institutions, are more faithful than others, is not to be questioned. But I contend that God does not measure a person's faith, and accept or reject a prayer on that basis. Nor should we.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@fauxlaw
That's pretty magnanimous of you, I will give you that. But what about the idea of your mayor saying "You can do whatever you want, just do it silently," to your suggestion about prayer? Did he really say shove it up your ass? What a jerk!

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ludofl3x
Yeah, he said that. Yeah, a jerk, but a few of us knew that going in. However, since he chaired the meeting [not the original intent since he was merely invited to attend], beyond my charge that he may have been the cause of our discontent, I said nothing more, and prayed myself.