Debates: 91
David
This video presents an excellent case on why Jews do not believe in Jesus

Summary
  • The Messiah will be purely human - not God;
  • Jesus did not fulfill the Messianic requirements;
  • Jesus did not fulfill any of the Messianic prophecies;
  • Jesus led people away from the Torah instead of towards it; and
  • The concept of the Trinity is completely foreign to Judaism.

disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
Oh no!
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@David
I haven't examined your link yet, I'll reply to your summary.....
Let's pretend the Jews have no reason to believe Jesus is/was the Messiah, but do they need to reject the example and teachings of Jesus of the Gospels, why would they not believe or support any spiritual principle Jesus taught? IMO Jesus resurfaced the face of the Jews religious beliefs single-handedly, and appropriately allowing for much more truth and freedom. Next question (perhaps to Jews), who was that "Messiah" the Jews believe in and whom will fill those shoes besides Jesus? Lol I mean it's pretty obvious Jesus was the promised DELIVERER, that's what Messiah means. The name of Jesus is hardly anything to not recognize as a Messiah.

The Messiah will be purely human - not God;

Jesus' body WAS purely human, however His soul and message was that of God's own. Jesus actually hardly ever went around proclaiming He was God, rather always spoke of the Father, and when He was questioned He said Him and the Father were one, that's true if you understand unity on a spiritual level.

Jesus did not fulfill the Messianic requirements;

Really lol? you mean He may not have fulfilled a few misconceptions?

Jesus did not fulfill any of the Messianic prophecies;

Ouch, that's entirely not true and if it were, we wouldn't have anything to consider in this topic. Jesus would have never been acclaimed Messiah. 

Jesus led people away from the Torah instead of towards it; and

Deliverer not supporter.

The concept of the Trinity is completely foreign to Judaism.

Not that the concept of the Trinity is not Christian doctrine, but can you show where Jesus uses that term? if Jesus did not use that term perhaps He meant something different....however, the so-called Trinity also lies in the understanding of unity. Unity binds things together as one unit and one purpose.

Stephen
Stephen
Summary
It was. A freedom fighter or terrorist depending on who side you happen to be on in 1st century Palestine.
He didn't on the face of it, but when the surface of the New Testament is scratched, It reveals something quite  opposite. 
Tricky that one. there was the donkey and the scourging .
 I am not sure Jesus did this , I believe this was  down to Paul.
And so it should be. It is an historical fact that the idea of the trinity. indeed, Jesus' divinity was decided by vote at the council of Nicea, some three hundred years after Jesus himself had lived.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@EtrnlVw

Let's pretend the Jews
In a pretend world the pretender is undisputed, just like you in yours. Isn't it fortunate that real people don't exist in your pretend world.
Carry on.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@David
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Jesus didn't even need any scriptures proclaiming or supporting that He was the Messiah, it's obvious in His example, legacy and the accuracy of His spirituality that He indeed fulfilled the role of a Messiah. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
That wasn't an argument, try again. Offer something or go play with Ethan.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@EtrnlVw
It would though have been really nice if he ever existed in reality, I'm sure you'll agree.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
Try again.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@EtrnlVw
Yep pretend worlds are never ever to be considered an argument.
Why then do you habitually present your pretend worlds as such?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@disgusted
This video presents an excellent case on why Jews do not believe in Jesus

Summary

You'll have to ask Virtuoso troll. Lol, bye bye.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@EtrnlVw
You'll have to ask Virtuoso troll. Lol, bye bye.
Calling people trolls is a personal attack. I won't report this one, but in the future you need to calm down.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@EtrnlVw
It's regrettable that you didn't bother to cite anything I wrote and yet personally attacked me as being a troll, your inability to discuss in a civilised fashion the subject under discussion is an indictment of the value your education has in a civilised society.
I'm so sad for you.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Goldtop
Where was I not calm? if you guys have nothing to add to the topic you're trolls. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@EtrnlVw
you're trolls. 

THAT personal attack has been reported. Your behavior needs to change immediately.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@disgusted
Please make sure you report his personal attacks.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@EtrnlVw
You were calm. And your reply was well thought out. Good post.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
As if you are any sort of judge. hahahahahah
rosends
rosends
-->
@EtrnlVw
1. do they need to reject the example and teachings of Jesus of the Gospels, why would they not believe or support any spiritual principle Jesus taught?

1a. Because nothing he added is useful. We have sources of actual authority to rely on. Why listen to some random itinerant teacher who was taking from another source that we already have? And when he changed things, why follow a person who is not in a position to change things?

2. Next question (perhaps to Jews), who was that "Messiah" the Jews believe in and whom will fill those shoes besides Jesus? Lol I mean it's pretty obvious Jesus was the promised DELIVERER, that's what Messiah means. The name of Jesus is hardly anything to not recognize as a Messiah.

2a. Messiah (in English) comes from "moshiach" in Hebrew which means "one who is anointed", not "deliverer". High priests and kings were anointed with a particular oil. Jesus wasn't, nor was he eligible to be either a king or a high priest. We await a king from the proper lineage and of the proper personal characteristics.

3. Jesus' body WAS purely human, however His soul and message was that of God's own. Jesus actually hardly ever went around proclaiming He was God, rather always spoke of the Father, and when He was questioned He said Him and the Father were one, that's true if you understand unity on a spiritual level.

3a. You can try to make the argument that the body was human but the soul wasn't, but Judaism's conception of the messiah is that he is a full on human in body and soul.

4. Really lol? you mean He may not have fulfilled a few misconceptions?

4a. Are you saying that Jews don't understand their own texts? There are some very clear expectations and he didn't meet them.

5. Ouch, that's entirely not true and if it were, we wouldn't have anything to consider in this topic. Jesus would have never been acclaimed Messiah. 

5a. What Jesus might have "fulfilled" were of 3 categories -- the first were prophecies that were so general that many people fulfilled them (where someone is born - lots of people are born in lots of places), the second are intentional (mis)appropriations of biblical text said to apply to him (wait, Isaiah said that and Jesus said it?! WOW!) including some mis-statements and misinterpretations (the Hebrew word for virgin is Betula...) and the third are textual citations which simply weren't ever biblical prophecies but which, it was decided by non-Jews, were "shadows of things to come" (Jews sacrificed a lamb, Jesus was called a "lamb" so the biblical sacrifices must have been a hint to Jesus!). Choplogic, all of them. 

6. Deliverer not supporter.

6a. This is tougher because Jesus does make claims about not coming to end Jewish law and yet people still say that he delivered people from the yoke of the laws. They want to see him as supporter of the Jewish legal system and yet a rebel against it.

7. Not that the concept of the Trinity is not Christian doctrine, but can you show where Jesus uses that term? if Jesus did not use that term perhaps He meant something different....however, the so-called Trinity also lies in the understanding of unity. Unity binds things together as one unit and one purpose.

7a. What is foreign to Judaism is the idea that God has any "parts" which need to be united. Unfortunately, people like to point to the word "echad" and say that it means "a combination of parts, so God is divisible" but that isn't always so. Sometimes, one means "one unit" and sometimes, "one" means "indivisible" and even "unique." That's the "one" which applies to God.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Let's pretend the Jews have no reason to believe Jesus is/was the Messiah, but do they need to reject the example and teachings of Jesus of the Gospels, why would they not believe or support any spiritual principle Jesus taught?
Good question. I'm an atheist and I think many of Jesus's teachings have value in and of themselves.

I don't think a Jewish person necessarily has to disagree with everything Jesus said. It's simply that they believe those teachings have no authority. In my experience this is often the case when you ask a religious person to embrace values or notions that are not in their holy text. The holy text is the recognized word of God; anything outside it is not the word of God. Which I'm sure has something to do with why so many people reinterpret the text to get the meaning they want from it, rather than create a new text or religion.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@rosends
Because nothing he added is useful.

I respect your beliefs Rosends but I'm going to stop you right there. To me this is beyond anything that I wish to debate and is a very inadequate statement for ANY spiritual person to make and IMO is quite unrealistic. If you don't find the Gospels and the teachings of Jesus "useful" and yet find your OT txts as somehow useful we will just have to leave this as our own opinions. But I do appreciate the response. 

MESSIAH-
the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible.
I have no issue with your meaning of the word as "anointed", perhaps they go hand in hand. What problem do you have with "deliverer" as mentioned in the definition? does anointed somehow contradict deliverer?

What is foreign to Judaism is the idea that God has any "parts" which need to be united.

I never said that. However, how do you believe God expresses Himself? if God is omnipresent and has no embodiment what does God do to reach the lower worlds? God does this through incarnations. I know that's foreign to your beliefs but we are not talking about just the Jews beliefs. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Good question. I'm an atheist and I think many of Jesus's teachings have value in and of themselves.

Which is why I was shocked when I read Rosends opinion. That seems a bit extreme to me to believe in the OT and then turn around and claim the Gospels are not useful. To me it's the opposite lol. Not many useful things in the OT txts that are practical. I love many things within it, but there is no comparison. I also love some of the OT character like Isaiah, but none of them have the power and pull of the Messiah.

I don't think a Jewish person necessarily has to disagree with everything Jesus said. It's simply that they believe those teachings have no authority. In my experience this is often the case when you ask a religious person to embrace values or notions that are not in their holy text. The holy text is the recognized word of God; anything outside it is not the word of God. Which I'm sure has something to do with why so many people reinterpret the text to get the meaning they want from it, rather than create a new text or religion.

To me, there is nothing that Jesus taught that needs to be rejected on a spiritual level. I think rather, that some people need to open themselves up a bit more. Let go of tradition in favor of truth and freedom. I find Jesus to be a great extension of the Hebrew OT works. It's my opinion but I've put the time in to have a realistic approach and opinion.

rosends
rosends
-->
@EtrnlVw
"and is a very inadequate statement for ANY spiritual person to make and IMO is quite unrealistic. If you don't find the Gospels and the teachings of Jesus "useful" and yet find your OT txts as somehow useful we will just have to leave this as our own opinions. But I do appreciate the response. "

OK, we can leave it at that. Jesus stated material that can be found in the Talmud (as he was endorsing the Pharisaic view) so I get it from the Talmud, so his saying it is of no use. Jesus stated things that go contrary to Jewish law, so they are not of any use to me.

"MESSIAH-
the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible."

Saying he is a deliverer is very different from saying that "that's what Messiah means" which was your earlier claim. I'm not sure what you mean by "deliverer" -- Moses, I guess, delivered us from the bondage of Egypt, though actually, God did that. The promised king-messiah will not do things that are for God to do, that is, redeem us from the captivity of spiritual exile. My point was also that a number of people have been historically "anointed" and yet none of them would be called a "deliverer" so tying anointed and deliverer together seems uncalled for.

"if God is omnipresent and has no embodiment what does God do to reach the lower worlds? God does this through incarnations. I know that's foreign to your beliefs but we are not talking about just the Jews beliefs. "

An associated idea is not actually foreign. When God shows Moses a burning bush and speaks from within it, God isn't a bush. When God splits the sea, God isn't the sea. God's power, God's "voice" (as it were) make themselves known. And when God inspires a prophet to carry a message, the person is inspired by God to spread a message using his own (human) words. So I wouldn't call these "incarnations" (which means, based on its root, made into flesh, and God isn't) but manifestations maybe of God's will. A human might be inspired, but he isn't possessed by God's spirit, walking around like some puppet.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
I don't think a Jewish person necessarily has to disagree with everything Jesus said. It's simply that they believe those teachings have no authority.

This to me comes across as double talk. The Jews are awaiting a Messiah to come and then turn around and claim nothing else could have authority other than the OT works. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@rosends
OK, we can leave it at that. Jesus stated material that can be found in the Talmud (as he was endorsing the Pharisaic view) so I get it from the Talmud, so his saying it is of no use. Jesus stated things that go contrary to Jewish law, so they are not of any use to me.

That is untrue. Sorry. Many things Jesus taught are not written in the OT, and what problem would you have accepting material from this supposed Messiah which has yet to come? (are you still awaiting?). I would have to believe you've never read the Gospels. His life, mission and example was surely unique, even if spiritual principles are universal (which they are). And on the other hand, if Jesus only ever spoke of what was written in the OT what problem do you actually have then? perhaps Jesus....the Messiah took what was from the OT and added power and authority to it, had a greater effect.... However I disagree with that statement altogether. 

Saying he is a deliverer is very different from saying that "that's what Messiah means" which was your earlier claim.

I'll ask it again, does deliverer contradict anointed?

An associated idea is not actually foreign. When God shows Moses a burning bush and speaks from within it, God isn't a bush. When God splits the sea, God isn't the sea. God's power, God's "voice" (as it were) make themselves known.

Lol, okay....
I'm not going to comment. Unless you can show me where you've talked to a bush. That's not practical and we never see that other than in stories. Jesus performed miracles as well we usually don't see but Jesus didn't talk to bushes, He talked with God one on one and expressed God's will through examples. Through His BEING. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@EtrnlVw
1. "Many things Jesus taught are not written in the OT"
1a. I don't recall saying that. I mentioned that some of what he said was cribbed from the Talmud. 

2. "are you still awaiting?"
2a. Yes, every day.

3. "I would have to believe you've never read the Gospels"
3a. If you have to, feel free to. That isn't to say that your belief is accurate.

4. "if Jesus only ever spoke of what was written in the OT"
4a. cf 1a

5. "does deliverer contradict anointed?"
5a. You have yet to explain "DELIVERER" but the issue isn't whether they contradict but whether they are at all related.

6. "you've talked to a bush. That's not practical and we never see that other than in stories. Jesus performed miracles"
6a. I'm not going to comment unless you can show me where you've performed miracles. That's not practical and we never see it other than in stories.

Strange how talking to bushes is only in stories but the Jesus claim to miracles isn't. And yet it only exists in the gospels.

BTW, the holiday of Sukkot begins very soon so if I don't answer you immediately, I will try to get to whatever you ask by late Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@rosends
good Yom tov!!
rosends
rosends
-->
@David
Gam l'cha!
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
"Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah, and said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD. And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee. Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.

And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king. And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots. And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots. And he will take your daughters to beconfectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers. And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants. And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants. And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put themto his work. He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants. And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us; that we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles."

"And Samuel called the people together unto the LORD to Mizpeh; And said unto the children of Israel, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I brought up Israel out of Egypt, and delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all kingdoms, and of them that oppressed you: And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. "

"ye said unto me, Nay; but a king shall reign over us: when the LORD your God was your king.

Now therefore behold the king whom ye have chosen, and whom ye have desired! and, behold, the LORD hath set a king over you. If ye will fear the LORD, and serve him, and obey his voice, and not rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall both ye and also the king that reigneth over you continue following the LORD your God: but if ye will not obey the voice of the LORD, but rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall the hand of the LORD be against you, as it was against your fathers.

Now therefore stand and see this great thing, which the LORD will do before your eyes. Is it not wheat harvest to day? I will call unto the LORD, and he shall send thunder and rain; that ye may perceive and see that your wickedness is great, which ye have done in the sight of the LORD, in asking you a king.

So Samuel called unto the LORD; and the LORD sent thunder and rain that day: and all the people greatly feared the LORD and Samuel.

And all the people said unto Samuel, Pray for thy servants unto the LORD thy God, that we die not: for we have added unto all our sins this evil, to ask us a king.

And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart; And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain. For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people. Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way: Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you. But if ye shall still do wickedly, ye shall be consumed, both ye and your king."

=====================

So what is the point of all this? One of the many ways that Jesus fulfills the law and the prophets is doing away with the idea of needing a human king. God is the king and only with God is salvation. 
Why is Jesus the true king? Because Jesus is God. 

Christianity is not worshiping a man as God.

Jesus fulfills the law and the prophets. 

Surely there are some Jews who can fathom the mystery of this saying of Jesus...

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."