New design template

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 51
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
Hi guys, so I have released a new sign up page that is supposed to look good both on desktops and mobiles, so I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at it from your device and see if everything is okay because I could test it only on so many devices :/ And of course, let me know what you think :) In the meantime, I will quickly replace the other authentication related pages.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
We can't test it without breaking CoC
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
It seems to be the same as before to me.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
No no, the functionality is exactly the same, only the design has changed. And that's what I am concerned about, because I have only one mobile phone and one laptop on which I tested that design, so there is still a chance that something can be displayed improperly on other devices. And since I cannot afford those services for this kind of testing, I am asking you guys to give me heads up if something is off on that page :)

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
tested on iphone.  looked good to me- filled the screen with nice big buttons, signed in no problem
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@oromagi
That's very good to hear, thank you!

Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
We can't test it without breaking CoC
I think it goes without saying that if the creator of the website is asking for help, you aren't going to be banned for helping. But I am also pretty sure you know this and are just attempting to be provocative as usual.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunatic
no, if you create another account you will be banned according to the CoC.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
Don’t, just log out then click sign up and then log in without creating an account. Or just DM Virtuoso
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
I understand, that is what I did. I am saying to test its functionality.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
I've updated the main forum page, how do you guys like it?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Looks nice!
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DebateArt.com
Sexy. Very sexy. The decrease in provided information, not sure how I feel about that yet. But visually it looks nice.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
I like the "hot tags" idea...

Yeah. Sounds about right.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
What do you mean decrease in provided information? And glad you liked it :)
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
Also I've updated the topics list page, now it's completely responsive.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
What do you mean decrease in provided information?

The previous version listed the last bumped thread for each forum as well as who bumped it and when. Like I said I was largely undecided on how I felt about it at the time but have since decided that info is largely irrelevant in light of the 'hot topics' and 'new topics' features. I would like to see those two features bumped to the top though.

Please note all feedback from me regarding this is specifically about the mobile version. I have not accessed the site on a computer since the big change.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Oh I see your point. It's still there on the desktop version but I am afraid it's a bit tricky to put there on the mobile version since the space is rather limited. I tried to do it at first but then it was either impossible to fit or just too ugly. I am sure there is a way but I think it would take too much time to implement it properly :/ I'll probably get back to it once I am finished making the other pages responsive as well.

And please let me know if you stumble upon any issues on the pages that already have mobile support :)
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DebateArt.com
No issues encountered yet and like I said honestly the hot topics and recent topics are a fine replacement for that extra crap anyway (at least in my opinion).
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Yeah I agree
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Looks and functions cleaner on mobile
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vader
Yeah, hopefully at some point we will have the whole forum optimized for mobile devices.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@DebateArt.com
The mobile version has far less info per page and requires me to employ several more clicks to get to the same info.

Now it takes me longer and sometimes I go into the forum only to find there has been no activity, and that time spent going in has been wasted.

The end result for me will be that I will only go into the religion and DART boards and ignore the other boards unless I get a notification from one of them.

I figure the change to less information was to force members to stay longer on the site, and require them to check other boards than their usual to see if there are new posts?

The new design looks fresher and cleaner, but it's less functional, at least on the mobile version. I got my phone browser set to display only the desktop version.

I'm going to bump those tiny buttons by accident more often, but the greater information at a glance is a worthwhile trade off.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DebateArt.com
The end result for me will be that I will only go into the religion and DART boards and ignore the other boards unless I get a notification from one of them.

Don't worry about this, this is Ethangs normal behavior anyway. Do consider putting the hot topics and recent topics at the top of the page though.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Don't worry about this, this is Ethangs normal behavior anyway. 
Untrue. Most of my recent threads have been outside the religion board. But again you have let your petty emotion blind you to the disservice to the board.

If the new design encourages such behavior, it will be a detriment to the board as a whole.

And as we can see, participation has already begun to fall off. How come the people with the least participation are often the most strident on what could be better?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ethang5
I see your point about smaller amount of information but it's tricky to put everything on a screen of extremely limited size, that's the price we pay for having a mobile version. I am not saying it's impossible but it would involve way much more work to make it all look nice on all kinds of screens. Most likely I will get back to these issues and try to solve them somehow but only once I am done with some other pages. One thing you can do in the meantime is to use your phone horizontally, instead of vertically, since it would have a bigger width and therefore more content would be available. And thanks for bringing this up, I really appreciate the feedback.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Don't worry about this, this is Ethangs normal behavior anyway. Do consider putting the hot topics and recent topics at the top of the page though.
Yeah, you are definitely right, I will see what I can do, but probably on the second iteration, now I want to finish the other pages first. And thanks for your help!

ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
The forum looks good. I was wondering if the software had the option I've seen on other forums, often referred to as "New Posts" or "Latest Posts"? This would create a page in which all the posts up to a certain number or date can be seen without having to go into each forum. Very handy option, saves a lot of time. Thanks.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ATroubledMan
Hi, glad you like it, it's only gonna get better :)

We do have a section on the main forum page called "New topics", but it shows only the newest 5 topics without providing a way to get more than that. So I am wondering if you are looking for a way to do exactly that, i.e. to get more new topics than 5? Or you don't mean topics but specifically posts? In such case, if to be honest, I am not sure how it would look and if you could provide a link to some forum that has that, I'd gladly borrow the idea :) Thanks

ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@DebateArt.com
Here's a science forum, notice one of the top bars where it says, "Recent Posts", click that link and you'll get an idea what I'm referring. When you're signed up, more of those options appear but the link then says, "New Posts". It's probably one of the most used links on any forum that has it. I think you can limit the amount of new posts by page, number or date depending on how much traffic you get. Thanks.