Science Fiction And The Bible

Author: ethang5

Total: 76
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Did you know that concepts made popular in science fiction were first in the bible?

I won't post the passages unless asked, but here are a few of those concepts, found only in the Bible 2,000 years ago. Some have stopped being fiction, but I find it amazing that a book dismissed as the writings if illiterate goatherds could contain sophisticated concept that would take the world Years to discover.

1. Time travel - The bible has the concept within it that time is fluid and relative, and movement forwards or backwards in time is possible.

2. Teleportation - there are instances of instantaneous teleportation in the bible. Today, scientists are able to teleport elementary particles, but are working to get results with larger loads. But the concept was in the bible all along.

3. Water in the mantle of the Earth. A lot of it. So much that Scientists today are considering changing their theories about how the Earth got water. But 2,000 years ago, the concept was in the bible.

4. The concept of Genetics - The bible has stories of how genetics were used to get animals with desired characteristics more than 2,000 years ago.

5. Different Dimensions - Only the bible has this concept of "outside" the created universe, where not only is there no "time", but that instances there are not synchronous with time inside the universe.

My intent here is not to prove the bible true because it has these concepts, but to marvel that such advanced concepts are in the bible at all.

When science one day makes possible something we presently call a miracle, will we still doubt the miracle?

Even the concept of the attributes of God are unique to Christianity.

Omniscience - that God knows all that can be known is an advance concept, treated with much more nuance in the bible than skeptics usually admit.

Omnipotence - In the bible, omnipotence is not just that God is more powerful than anyone else, but that all power in the universe is His power, even the power used by His enemies. The bible treats energy as if it is all the same thing within the universe.

Omnipresence - This concept in the bible treats physical location within the universe as if it is spacetime, not just space. A concept it took man thousands of years to develop.

Immutability - This concept came to the fore when scientists discovered elementary particles. These particles are more energy than matter, and we now  know energy cannot be changed. Immutability may be built into the universe! But 2,000 years ago, the concept was in the bible.

Finally, the concept of eternity. That God is eternal is not simply that He lasts forever, but that He is not bound by time. This is a concept made understandable by Einstein. And this means that God is the only non-relative observer in the universe. A very high concept indeed!

Is it not amazing that these complex concepts are in a document dated at 6,000 to 2,000 years ago?
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@ethang5
Correct.
That bible book thing you got. 
Its.
Well it's brilliant FULL STOP
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
As I always say, the Bible is a valid quasi hypothetical mythology compiled by men, utilising data that was available at the time.... Separate the realism from the mythology and one will no doubt come across an element of reason.

Civilisations that predated Christianity will no doubt have provided much of the data that went into the biblical hypothesis.

Development through science is ongoing and didn't start and stop 2000years ago.... I don't remember the stable being lit by electricity nor Joe and Mary arriving at the maternity unit in their 4x4. 

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

I knew it would be a great thread when I saw the title (and the author).

Another prominent theme in sci-fi exhibits what so many long for. The uniting of humanity. And this manifests in novels and on screen with all of humanity uniting against a hostile alien race from planet x threatening our existence. The Bible exhorts unity in the body of Christ, to put away our differences and engage in spiritual warfare against principalities and powers of the air. And people wonder why Christians are commanded to pray. And let's face it, it's a well known fact that there are phenomenons in the atmosphere that scientists have no answer for. UFOs (in the purest sense) are no longer science fiction.

The attempted building of the tower of Babel according to the Bible was an event that began the factions that resulted in all of our world wars. Those who consider it myth might look at it as 2 workers alongside each other (let's say named Joseph and Peter) talking to each other, and then all of a sudden Jose is  speaking Espanol, and Pierre is now speaking en Francais, and they have to quit for the day because they can't understand each other. I would argue it was a much longer process. Starting with men disagreeing, arguing, and fighting each other just as is done today within companies. Then factions developed between families. Clans are created. Accents are developed. dialects are developed. Eventually tribes and nations and separate languages are developed. The Hatfields and McCoys so to speak become national superpowers at war.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
utilising data that was available at the time
Which might be why they didn't mention electricity and 4x4s.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
interesting
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
That bible book thing you got. 
Its. Well it's brilliant FULL STOP
We know Deb. That's why no other book has even come close to what the Bible has done.

Some try to play it down, but when you look at the reality of what the bible has done, you have to admit there is something there.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@RoderickSpode
Thanks Rod. Liked your take on the tower of Babel too. And today with the corona virus, the need for us to pull together has never been more true.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It is Doc.

These facts lead to all kinds of revelations.

For example, why is God the standard of morality? Because God is the only being who is not relative. Only His POV is truly objective.

So we see that only God's morality is true. His is the only morality is not influenced by, or dependant on, the morality of others.

Who would have thought one could use Einstein's theory of relativity to show why God is the only logical moral standard?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ethang5
iT Is a well known fact that Enstens theory proves God in a number of ways
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Yep.

But apparently they new all about time travel and teleportation. LOL.

Nonetheless you're correct..... Time travel and teleportation have been the themes of fiction for centuries.

And you're also correct....There's a huge difference between available data and unfounded guesswork.

And I expect that every other religion could make exactly the same claims.

Just more pie in the sky attempts at proving the existence of gods.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
If you think that was my point, you aren't intellectually equipped for this conversation. And if you know that was not my point but said that anyway, you aren't honest enough to be here.

Often times, the bible's authors did not know they were being used by God, many of them did not understand what they wrote, and could not see the implications.

Now there is a difference in simply saying that a person travelled back in time, and having a doctrine that is partially built on the sacrificial death of Jesus being multi-chronological, affecting people born both before the sacrifice and people born after His sacrifice.

And the question is asked in the bible, "How can Jesus's sacrifice save people like Abraham, born thousands of years before Jesus? The bible gives the answer, and the answer makes sense only if the concept that time is relative, is understood.

This isn't a claim or a guess. This is a concept, but not only a concept, but one shown working inside God's plan.

You don't know the bible, but that doesn't stop you from displaying your ignorance. You want to lump all religion into one and say every other religion could make exactly the same claims.

But I listed no claim of Christianity. It certainly makes no claim of teleportation or time travel. Your irrational fear has made you knee-jerk yet again to a "god does not exist" argument even though I said this was not an argument to prove God exists.

I spoke of "concepts", not claims.

For example, the verse saying that Noah's flood was assisted by water that came out of the Earth. For years, no one understood that verse. And atheists laughed at the story insisting that there is not enough water on Earth for the story to be true.

Guess what? There is. Science is estimating that there is more than 3 times all the world's oceans in the mantle. We don't know yet how it came out, for the flood, but the people saying the Earth didn't have enough water have shut up.

Now, there is no claim in the bible about plate tectonics, but the bible does say that early in the earth's formation, there was only one land mass, one huge continent. Science has found out this is true. Was that only a "guess" 6,000 years ago?

How did the authors know about things like moving continents and subterranean oceans? They didn't. But God knew.

No other religion has the concepts Christianity has. That is why Christianity sweeps through every culture and ethnicity, so much so that countries have to create laws to hamstring it.

The people who truly read the bible are amazed and astonished by the concepts in the book. This how the bible became the most read, most quoted, most studied, most memorized, most cherished, most influential book of all time, with nothing even close.

That is not chance or fluke. There is something different about Christianity, and this is backed up by it's performance in the real world. That is why Satan fights so hard to make people bunch all religions together and therefore examine none of them, but simply assume all are the same.

Do you know why we aren't always trying to prove God exists? Because we already know He does. Your doubt is yours, not ours. If you need reassurance, go to church. The religion board is for people who already believe God exists.

Most science fiction authors will turn out to be prophets anyway. The bible is already there.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
Yep.

Nonetheless you're correct..... Time travel and teleportation have been the themes of fiction for centuries.

And you're also correct....There's a huge difference between available data and unfounded guesswork.

Just more pie in the sky attempts at proving the existence of gods.
You made a similar comment to the bold letter point here:

"Civilisations that predated Christianity will no doubt have provided much of the data that went into the biblical hypothesis."

Can you provide some examples?

An interesting thing about time travel in terms of thought among contemporary scientists is that even if we had the technology to do so, there's a question of ethics. It's understood that time travel as we understand it would actually be unethical. The authors of the bible perhaps inadvertently make the same suggestion, although probably for a different reason as it's unlikely they actually thought of it directly.

The text that states that man is appointed to die once and then face judgment suggests that although God is timeless so to speak, it would be unethical for man to step outside of our time-boundary. The idea of going back in time to right the wrongs we've done is a very appealing idea. However the idea only suggests changing circumstances instead of one's heart. What the bible instead promotes is repenting and changing our
heart in the now, and moving forward in our created time-line from there. Without changing the heart, simply altering the circumstance would only allow for the same mistakes, or worse without a change of heart.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ethang5
Thanks Rod. Liked your take on the tower of Babel too. And today with the corona virus, the need for us to pull together has never been more true.
Indeed. Like the principalities and powers in the air, we're all facing an unseen enemy.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Can you provide some examples.
Well easily.

The Ancient Egyptian and Greek civilisations to name but two local sources of pre-Christian knowledge and ideas.

Check them out.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Interpretation is as interpretation does.

And the transfer of data is as the transfer of data does.

Nice try Mr Ethan but it's all been done before.

And words cannot prove the existence of gods.

Nonetheless, gods maybe...Though the gods hypothesis never starts at the beginning.

Whoops.....Gods....away we go then.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
And words cannot prove the existence of gods.
Wait a little jasper, your video is in the mail.

Why these doofuses think we owe them an explanation is beyond me. Or why they think their disbelief is important to us, I haven't a clue.

It must be irksome to them that the world just keeps right on believing in God.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
Well easily.

The Ancient Egyptian and Greek civilisations to name but two local sources of pre-Christian knowledge and ideas.

Check them out.
Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm well aware of the various neighboring civilizations.

What I'm actually asking for are some examples of how the key points in the OP were influenced by other near middle east nations? Or what did the Israelites copy from other civs?

Incidentally, the OP is not about post-resurrection Christian thought, theology, doctrines, etc. The entire bible is being referred to, so we're looking at the entire ancient Israelite spectrum. That being said, I'm not so sure you'd want to include Greece.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
I haven't a clue.

Your reasoning is tending to get more and more obscure.

ethang5
ethang5
I haven't a clue. 
We can all see that. And yet it never causes you to pause.

Your reasoning is tending to get more and more obscure
LOL. Because I like you, I will resist the burn you left yourself open for here.

When my reasoning finally leaves you behind, feel free to not post on it.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Most scientific or pseudo scientific or non-scientific compilations and presentations of thought data, draw upon previous compilations and presentations of thought data. It is simply the nature of the evolution of knowledge.

So you cannot dismiss or accept information just because it might or might not fit with the desired Christian model.

And it's easy to forget that there was a whole world of unconnected data out there, long before the Christian god concept and creation hypothesis got up and running. Which explains why the Christian model has never been globally accepted as the basis of creation.

In short, the Christian bible is a whole load of repackaged and redesigned information with a few new ideas thrown in as well. Some of which will be pertinent to current levels of understanding and a lot of which is undoubtedly archaic mythology.

And of course, how the scholars of the time were labelled or labelled themselves or were manipulated was relative to social circumstance and social pressure.
In other words, thank you very much we will accept your ideas and take them and refer to them as Christian.

What we refer to today as plagiarism.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Because I like you.
And I like you too.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
I like you more!
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
I like you more!
MayaWilson
MayaWilson
We know Deb. That's why no other book has even come close to what the Bible has done.
Some try to play it down, but when you look at the reality of what the bible has done, you have to admit there is something there.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Willows
@MayaWilson
Lol. I think the moron's compulsion has become obsessed with me.

Hey willows, if you prove more stupid than hari, that will be an accomplishment! But let's see shall we? How stupid are you, you mental basket case?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4

I suppose they could. It's strange how there doesn't seem to be any evidence though.

Sounds like a whole lotta speculating going on.

Most scientific or pseudo scientific or non-scientific compilations and presentations of thought data, draw upon previous compilations and presentations of thought data. It is simply the nature of the evolution of knowledge.

So you cannot dismiss or accept information just because it might or might not fit with the desired Christian model.
The term most leaves room for at least one exception.

And it's easy to forget that there was a whole world of unconnected data out there,

Did you forget this at some point?

long before the Christian god concept and creation hypothesis got up and running.
Like what? I'd love to see your time lines as to when exactly the Christian god concept and creation hypothesis came about, and what preceded it.

Which explains why the Christian model has never been globally accepted as the basis of creation.

There's also not a global agreement as to who discovered America? Shall we say no one? Is the discovery of America just a myth?

In short, the Christian bible is a whole load of repackaged and redesigned information with a few new ideas thrown in as well. Some of which will be pertinent to current levels of understanding and a lot of which is undoubtedly archaic mythology.
I'm still very much waiting for examples of repackaged and redesigned information. But now you've perked my curiosity more. What are some of the bible's new ideas?

And of course, how the scholars of the time were labelled or labelled themselves or were manipulated was relative to social circumstance and social pressure.
In other words, thank you very much we will accept your ideas and take them and refer to them as Christian.

What we refer to today as plagiarism.

Plagiarism is illegal, so we would need some evidence which has not been provided yet.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Is The bible, The original King james version ?

But thats that's what ya think about hey?

Monte_Carlo
Monte_Carlo
-->
@ethang5
Lol. I think the moron's compulsion has become obsessed with me.

Hey willows, if you prove more stupid than hari, that will be an accomplishment! But let's see shall we? How stupid are you, you mental basket case?

Do you really want to know who that sock puppet belongs to?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Monte_Carlo

Do you really want to know who that sock puppet belongs to?
Not really.

Profile is banned
Banned from:
03.26.2020 02:37AM
Banned until:
08.12.2047 02:37AM
Ban reason:
Alt of Willows